edugatei56

I need help deciding on a new freshwater reel.

22 posts in this topic

I use baitcasters for cats and muskie and a single spinning reel with 8lb flourocarbon for everything else(bass, trout, panfish, walleye/sauger...) Last week the drag broke on my spinner and so im in the market for a new reel in the $100-200 range. The thing im caught up on is whether any baitcaster will be able to throw lighter jigs and spinners for the smaller fish i often fish for. Like i said, this reel will be used for everything 10lbs and under. Im pretty sure a spinning reel is what ill need, but ive never used a smaller baitcaster than the Abu 6600. Any advice is much appreciated. 192.168.0.1

Edited by edugatei56

I have a Stradic 1000 (sliver one) and pair it with a 9'6" Loomis IMX STR1141 for bubble/fly trout fishing.  One thing I noticed is that using a slick braided line, line 6# Nanofil, improves the casting distance significantly.  So much so, that I think the line is a larger factor than the reel. 

My buddy has Penn Pursuit III 3000 (black one) paired with 9'6" Rainshadow IST1143 and casts the same distance as me.  He also uses 6# Nanofil.

On 12/21/2020 at 7:04 AM, edugatei56 said:

The thing im caught up on is whether any baitcaster will be able to throw lighter jigs and spinners for the smaller fish i often fish for. Like i said, this reel will be used for everything 10lbs and under. Im pretty sure a spinning reel is what ill need, but ive never used a smaller baitcaster than the Abu 6600. Any advice is much appreciated.

Yes, search BFS reel on YouTube if interested in baitcasters. Personally, I would stick to spinning gear for lighter applications. Check out the Daiwa Tatula LT or Exceler LT. I like the 3000 size but you may prefer the 2500.    

I also have the Excelor, same size as my Ultegra but half the price and way more than half as nice :)

My only gripe is that the drag knob has a bit of friction against the spool and can self tighten. Any grit at all and it for sure will. 

Pfueger patriarch xt $189 is what i use,,,,,:) but it's apples and oranges,,,,,:shrug: I like the 35 better for line capability,,,,,,,,,:D

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ve used a Daiwa Fuego LT 2500D for FW since they came out about three years ago.  Great FW reel (also SW due to Magseal bearing per Daiwa).  For Christmas I got a Daiwa Exceler LT 2500D, only fished it one hour so far in the freshwater (FW is all it is rated for).  These reels retail for $80 to $100 but are frequently discounted 10% up to 20% at local shops in my area.  I do own a Stradic FL 2500 and it is an entire level above the Daiwa’s but cost over twice as much too.  Nothing beats my Shimano for perfect line lay but the Daiwa’s hold their own at their price point.  I look forward to getting to know the Exceler better but the Fuego has been flawless for three years.  I do own a Pflueger President and it is okay (especially since I bought it several years ago for about $35.00) but it is not the reel the Daiwa is and certainly not the reel the Shimano is.  I guess its like buying cars and trucks - you pay your money and make your choice!  Picture of my new reel.  OH

030D76C7-045F-4ECF-9971-28FC39623E02.jpeg

Edited by Old Hunter

I chuckle when I see flooger recommendations, or quantum or anything else besides Shimano or Daiwa when it comes to small freshwater spinning reels. Baitcasters you can pick out blind and they all work well enough...spinning reels, esp for light line finesse applications (90% of freshwater spinning reel scenarios) is where you want to spend money on.

I have 2 Excelers and love them.  2500 on my ML Mojo and 1000 on my UL Premier.  Both strictly FW.  I also have a Legalis 2500 which is a step down but basically the same reel.

As far as the Quantums, I have 2 Iron PTS40 Inshores and an Accurist.  All 3 work great and have great drag.  Ain't nothing wrong with Quantums no matter what they say.

I'm with Skunkoff, the reel used for your application isn't as important as you may think, we were getting many seasons out of the cheap Shimano FX reels back in the day using them on salmon and steelhead. Tackle and line is where I'd spend the extra money once you get much past the $100 mark.