Sandwich Opens its shell fish beds

Rate this topic

Angler #1

16 mins ago, Joe G said:

When they are referring to taxes in connection with the shellfish permit, it is real estate taxes, not personal property taxes or excise taxes.

You are right on Brother Joe . Peace and Prayers

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

43 mins ago, Joe G said:

Where what is written?  That it is real estate taxes?

See Town of Sandwich web site......under Sandwich Shellfish Permits. 

Thanks Joe, I did look it up.  It seems to me that anyone can get a permit in Sandwich to shellfish according to the website and also give a pretty good map on where to go.

30 mins ago, b-ware said:

Thanks Joe, I did look it up.  It seems to me that anyone can get a permit in Sandwich to shellfish according to the website and also give a pretty good map on where to go.

Bernie,

There really is only one place to go. That little area in Sandwich Creek next to the boardwalk.   

Yes, I agree, anyone can get a license, regardless of residency. Just like every other town on the Cape.

Edited by bob_G

The Sultan of Sluggo

38 mins ago, bob_G said:

Bernie,

There really is only one place to go. That little area in Sandwich Creek next to the boardwalk.   

Yes, I agree, anyone can get a license, regardless of residency. Just like every other town on the Cape.

I will have to go check it out with some of my buds, thanks for the info A1

5 mins ago, b-ware said:

I will have to go check it out with some of my buds, thanks for the info A1

Bernie, Bob is correct on only having one legal place to shell fish, that is for now. Sandwich does however have other areas that are being developed, one being the opening at Scortan  Creek, where a local population is growing now. As the town obtains funding it will be transplanting Oysters and Quahogs in order to make more shell fishing available.   At one time Sandwich did have a great piss clam fishery,  However the many storms pushed the sand on top of the beds along the beach front and Killed most of them   Peace and Prayers 

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Joe,

As you know I can't eat oysters in any form. But I have no doubt anyone who eats oysters on a regular basis could notice a difference.   When I was grew the town's oysters, people often told me my oysters were briny, with a strong mineral taste.  But no at all objectionable.

The Sultan of Sluggo

50 mins ago, Joe G said:

To Carl, Bob, or anyone else who has tasted a Sandwich and a Bourne oyster. 

Curious.....can anyone discern any noticeable flavor, salinity, etc.  distinction between the two locales?

Joe I would add in Barnstable as well to my taste buds and for what ever reason all taste briny . If I drain out the juice not so . From what I am being told part of the Bourne Oyster crop this year has very large specimens, like Barnstable . Most are fist size .  on the other hand Sandwich for now just make the minimum limit of 3 inches .  Peace and Prayers

Life member M.B.B.A #509

22 hours ago, troutworm said:

A couple of mornings ago WBZ 4 did a little story on a couple

of hearty souls raking for shellfish in Sandwich waters,anyone

know them ? My gut says A1 and Rob ?

Troutman I had the privileged of being highlighted in the editorial of the Evening Magazine over the past several years on several occasions in conjunction with the Cape Cod Canal . During the time frame when they were celebrating the anniversary of the canal   Which I believe is channel 5. [Chronicle} I can say that the time spent with the photographer and reporter was far more than what every one saw during the presentation of the story. 

I was also featured in the Sandwich Enterprise in regards to shell fishing article in Sandwich a few years back .   I can say that I have not had the pleasure of being interviewed by WBZ channel 4. Peace and Prayers

Edited by Angler #1

Life member M.B.B.A #509