cod fishing norway

Rate this topic

willcodfish

On 12/19/2020 at 11:38 AM, willcodfish said:

dream trip few buddys thinking 2 yr plan but if anyone interested in the holy grail of cod fishing check out the norway trip ive youtubed sportsquest or just norway world record cod fishing....thinking trying to throw a group trip together ..buddys looking into group rate prices ect..keep all posted as i get more info....when a 50 lb cod is an ok fish...im interested..lol.  .world record 103 lber caught in norway waters   ...sorry not a computer genius or i would have posted something to click on. im lucky i get this far..lol.. feel free if this computer things your gig and post the video..it would be appreciated,  even those who dont bottom fish will be impressed...impressive fish some look like theyre not even real...big halibut also...have a good and safe holiday all 

My friend/customer, Rick, who had been going to Norway for 4 years straight. This year would have been the 5th but the guide he was working with said "it's all over". The way I figure it, their "bad fishing" is likely (at least in 2021) to be better than our "good fishing". Give the draggers another couple of years and they will be "just like us". What few fish we find did not get a chance to grow before they were netted....

One pic is a long, "cusk-like critter" and the other is of typical halibut and cod.... 

ricknorcusk.jpeg

ricknorhal.jpeg

4 hours ago, Kml said:

I did not realize that the Ginnie Mae was a NY boat. I assumed Mass. We fish the shrewsbury rocks often leaving from Atlantic Highlands.

I moved out to Montauk in 1981 and that ended any mate work I had been doing for Captain Bill forever. I loved the guy but he was a bit of a hardass. We had some great times and people aboard as well. I saw him for the last time in 1996 when I was married and living in someone's basement in Bethpage, Long Island. Very tough financially with a little baby and a wife that wanted me to "re-invent myself" by working on land. I looked Bill up and called him, he came over and we talked a bit. He was so sad that he had to give up his boat. 

Last I heard he moved to Florida and he's likely dead by a number of years. Either that or he's pushing 100+.

10 hours ago, jason colby said:

My friend/customer, Rick, who had been going to Norway for 4 years straight. This year would have been the 5th but the guide he was working with said "it's all over". The way I figure it, their "bad fishing" is likely (at least in 2021) to be better than our "good fishing". Give the draggers another couple of years and they will be "just like us". What few fish we find did not get a chance to grow before they were netted....

One pic is a long, "cusk-like critter" and the other is of typical halibut and cod.... 

ricknorcusk.jpeg

ricknorhal.jpeg

thanks for sharing capt..we are looking into rancho leonero in cabo as well..marlin tuna wahoo ect,,fishing .prob...lean more to the warm waters judging from your intel..thanks again

6 hours ago, jason colby said:

I do remember Bob and he was an Ox!

In fact, he would make you "Joisey Sissy-Boys" cry just by giving you a harsh look!!!

Lol, yeah he wasn’t tall, but he was a bull. He had hand strength that was second to none. When I was 14, I foolishly leaned his rod against the wooden party boat steps, and as someone large walked down, the vibration sent the rod in the basin. He gave me that look that you describe, and I turned into a Joisey boy. I dangled a bunker treble hook for over an hour until I finally snagged it. He had a job he hated 4 days a week, fished Fridays with his friends, and mated on the Scotty out of Captree on weekends. He brought me along, and I worked and fished too. Some of the best days of my life. Some of my best memories were on the Ginnie May. Dad and I would crack up when we heard Bill talking to himself, “should I run down to the acid stain or wait it out here?” But that’s part of what made him a great captain. He wanted to be in the fish more than you wanted to. Not many captains will pull out a rod and fish with their customers, but Bill did, and it was welcomed. He knew some real good spots. Remember drifting Duck Point near Island Park? Fluking off Riis Park or Ambrose channel? Flounder, mackerel, blues, ling, and tuna. I was so glad to have taken my wife of 34 years on the GM. She was hooked on fishing from that trip. I remember you too Jason. You were a little older than. Barefoot? My dad thought you were nuts, but I thought you were cool. I even remember reading about you catching a 50+ lb cow bass in the LI Fisherman in the 80’s. My dad passed away in 2002, but was fortunate that we were still able to fish together, even with his grandchildren right up until he died. 

Oh and the rod with the short butt. The reel was an Abu Garcia 5000. The rod was a custom 7’ that he bought from some well known builder in Florida in the 70’s on a family trip. My dad sought this guy out, and my mom nearly went nuts. I wish I knew the name of the builder. He re-wrapped it in the 80’s, and I still have it today. Believe it or not, he once caught a 20+ lb Alby on the GM with it. He circled the boat twice bringing it in. 

8 hours ago, SteadyEddie said:

Lol, yeah he wasn’t tall, but he was a bull. He had hand strength that was second to none. When I was 14, I foolishly leaned his rod against the wooden party boat steps, and as someone large walked down, the vibration sent the rod in the basin. He gave me that look that you describe, and I turned into a Joisey boy. I dangled a bunker treble hook for over an hour until I finally snagged it. He had a job he hated 4 days a week, fished Fridays with his friends, and mated on the Scotty out of Captree on weekends. He brought me along, and I worked and fished too. Some of the best days of my life. Some of my best memories were on the Ginnie May. Dad and I would crack up when we heard Bill talking to himself, “should I run down to the acid stain or wait it out here?” But that’s part of what made him a great captain. He wanted to be in the fish more than you wanted to. Not many captains will pull out a rod and fish with their customers, but Bill did, and it was welcomed. He knew some real good spots. Remember drifting Duck Point near Island Park? Fluking off Riis Park or Ambrose channel? Flounder, mackerel, blues, ling, and tuna. I was so glad to have taken my wife of 34 years on the GM. She was hooked on fishing from that trip. I remember you too Jason. You were a little older than. Barefoot? My dad thought you were nuts, but I thought you were cool. I even remember reading about you catching a 50+ lb cow bass in the LI Fisherman in the 80’s. My dad passed away in 2002, but was fortunate that we were still able to fish together, even with his grandchildren right up until he died. 

Yes, I was always barefoot and perhaps a bit "NUTS". I did not get much sleep for those years (1972-1988) because I was fishing all night in addition to working all day (on a boat or in a fish plant).

Captain Bill only talked to himself "outloud" a little bit (every day) but if you looked at him when no one was looking his lips were always moving. You made me realize that perhaps I'm a bit like Captain Bill because I KNOW that I want to get into the fish AT LEAST AS MUCH as my customers...

Every morning when I was waiting for people to show up I would ask Captain Bill: "who do we have out today?" Then he would rattle off the regulars in some way I would know who they were like Big Mike, Eddie W., Tommy Guts or "Bob". Your father was only "Bob", that's all he needed.

Send me an email! fishinglsister@aol.com

12 hours ago, willcodfish said:

thanks for sharing capt..we are looking into rancho leonero in cabo as well..marlin tuna wahoo ect,,fishing .prob...lean more to the warm waters judging from your intel..thanks again

If you need an extra dude for a Cabo Trip please keep me in mind! I can make it work from January-mid April (as long as Mick is going/or not going). Thanks!