Stopsign32v

Would a 3000 series be reckless for surf and pier off NC?

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

I'm a Shimano guy. Going to get a Stradic FL and do the Stella upgrade.

What is the Stella upgrade?  I like the Slammers handle a lot as well as the sealing.  I hate the shape of the Stradic handle, when you get into the  blues from the surf having a nice power handle to crank with makes a difference.  I understand you can swap handles out, but I would rather leave the factory handle in place. 

25 mins ago, animalbarrie said:

What is the Stella upgrade?  I like the Slammers handle a lot as well as the sealing.  I hate the shape of the Stradic handle, when you get into the  blues from the surf having a nice power handle to crank with makes a difference.  I understand you can swap handles out, but I would rather leave the factory handle in place. 

@Stopsign32v - I googled Stradic Stella upgrade after I sent that.  I don't want to have to buy a $200 Stradic and then have to install a cheap Gomexus knob on it.  I've installed two of those Gomexus knobs, they like to loosen up and the supplied screws strip very easily.  I should have used Red Loctite on them, but would like the reel to be good to go right out of the box.  I have a Gomexus knob on my BG3000 that was installed with Red Loctite and it's held up well.

I also like the extra line capacity on the 4500 Slammer.  To each his own, we will see how the slammer holds up in April when big blues are on the beach.

59 mins ago, animalbarrie said:

@Stopsign32v - I googled Stradic Stella upgrade after I sent that.  I don't want to have to buy a $200 Stradic and then have to install a cheap Gomexus knob on it.  I've installed two of those Gomexus knobs, they like to loosen up and the supplied screws strip very easily.  I should have used Red Loctite on them, but would like the reel to be good to go right out of the box.  I have a Gomexus knob on my BG3000 that was installed with Red Loctite and it's held up well.

I also like the extra line capacity on the 4500 Slammer.  To each his own, we will see how the slammer holds up in April when big blues are on the beach.

No worries, I'm sure your 4500 Slammer will be fantastic! I just have OCD for whatever reason and tend to stick with brands for no good reason. I enjoy tinkering with stuff so "upgrading" the Stradic will be fun. I'll have to research knobs, maybe I will go with a different/better option. 

2 mins ago, Stopsign32v said:

No worries, I'm sure your 4500 Slammer will be fantastic! I just have OCD for whatever reason and tend to stick with brands for no good reason. I enjoy tinkering with stuff so "upgrading" the Stradic will be fun. I'll have to research knobs, maybe I will go with a different/better option. 

Just use red loctite and you should be fine.  My first two I used blue and after 1 weekend of hard fishing I started to notice play in the power knobs.  When you have to tighten the screws down again they start to strip.  The 41mm knob is a good size for a 4000k reel.

On 12/22/2020 at 9:40 AM, Stopsign32v said:

You saw my Stradic / Duckett combo on my thread.  I planned on doing this upgrade also, but Stradic is so smooth out of the box that I'm just gonna fish it for a season first.  I've heard a few stories about reels never being quite perfect once taken apart, especially by a novice tech like me lol.  I'm just nervous about screwing it up.

2 hours ago, seanw1214 said:

You saw my Stradic / Duckett combo on my thread.  I planned on doing this upgrade also, but Stradic is so smooth out of the box that I'm just gonna fish it for a season first.  I've heard a few stories about reels never being quite perfect once taken apart, especially by a novice tech like me lol.  I'm just nervous about screwing it up.

I have the CertateLT 5000 I did the bearing upgrade on it but with that reel, it didn't involve opening up the case. Replaced two bushings on the mainshaft and in the drag stack with ball bearings and it's an aluminum Exist. If you get a chance, check out the CertateLT.