Stopsign32v

Would a 3000 series be reckless for surf and pier off NC?

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

On 12/18/2020 at 10:18 PM, Stopsign32v said:

Well I don't think any huge monsters live off the coast of NC but I wanted to know if you guys think a 3000 series with 15lb braid would be a reckless option for surf and tall pier fishing? Will just be throwing 1oz metal.

Not reckless at all - I throw metal with a Daiwa BG3000 and I've only ever had one problem.  In October I was reeling in a bluefish and I got smashed by a shark.  It was actually kind of fun, never been 100% spooled before, I cranked down the drag but I couldn't do anything.  Reel was pretty hot at the end of it.

I’d personally go at least 4000. 4000s are super versatile; good for things like trout and flounder (maybe a tad big but they work) but if you hook into a big redfish, small shark, etc., you could play it out and get the fish in relatively quickly.

Remember, it may be possible to land fish on super light tackle like that, but it’s very important to get the fish in reasonably quickly so it can be released before it’s too exhausted. 

3k can be fine depending on the target, but a 4K is a lot more versatile. Gotta remember that a 1 ounce metal can sail pretty far, you may lose half your reels capacity on the cast alone. 

16 mins ago, Stopsign32v said:

I've all but decided on a 4k or 5k. Thanks guys 

4000 is minimal weight difference and i use my 3000 -4000s on rods interchangeably....id go with at stradic 4000FL with 15lb braid.

4 mins ago, GreenMachine said:

4000 is minimal weight difference and i use my 3000 -4000s on rods interchangeably....id go with at stradic 4000FL with 15lb braid.

I'm leaning more towards the 5000. Only 0.5oz difference in weight and I think for a tall and long (deep) pier throwing out plugs the 5000 would more than likely be better. But yes, the Stradic FL will be the choice. 

Edited by Stopsign32v

4 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

^^^^^ What is that teal rod? If I had to guess, Avid Inshore?

7' MH Avid Inshore.  Love it.

I've never owned a 4 or 5K Stradic.  A good fishing buddy has a 4K Stradic on a Tidemaster.  That feels pretty close to a Teramar, maybe a bit stiffer.  Nicely balanced, I've chucked that a few times.

2 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

I'm leaning more towards the 5000. Only 0.5oz difference in weight and I think for a tall and long (deep) pier throwing out plugs the 5000 would more than likely be better. But yes, the Stradic FL will be the choice. 

Have the 3000-4000-5000FL stradics..5000 is ideal with capacity of 20lb braid 300yds and only difference from 4000 is knob and spool size..all great reels 

My go to reel for jigs up to 1oz for Spanish from a pier is a shimano stradic ci4+ C3000 loaded full with 10lb power pro. Handles all my Spanish jigging needs and pier flips 3-4 pounders all day. On a 6'6" star seagis.

My buddy uses the C5000 FL on his 8' teremar if that helps.

Edited by Badtothebugs

Not a big fan of small reels for anything more than real sheltered back work and fresh water. Above all else it’s a line capacity thing with me. Second to that it’s a practicality of a small spool, inches per crank on the retrieve and a small drivetrain and handle In the salt it just makes little sense to me with all we have to pick from when it comes to sizes and weight. By all means try whatever you feel is right for you but I would lean toward a larger reel if it was me. 

On 12/19/2020 at 0:46 PM, Stopsign32v said:

Yep, I will be after spanish as well. I'm pretty sold on the Stradic FL 3000-5000 which have a 6:4 to 6:2 ratio.

BUT, while I suck at throwing it it...I do have a baitcaster that has a 8:1 ratio. Would that be better for Spanish in the surf?

use the spinning gear. throwing farther will be more valuable than the slight mechanical advantage you get from the gear ratio. you can always increase the speed that you turn the handle. but if you cant cast, you could end up being screwed. 

7 mins ago, Craigsheridan said:

use the spinning gear. throwing farther will be more valuable than the slight mechanical advantage you get from the gear ratio. you can always increase the speed that you turn the handle. but if you cant cast, you could end up being screwed. 

After thinking about it more this make sense.

Will be going with a 5000 series to put on a 7'6. Should have plenty of fling it power.

Just now, Stopsign32v said:

After thinking about it more this make sense.

Will be going with a 5000 series to put on a 7'6. Should have plenty of fling it power.

youll be set up just fine with that. and in the case that you run into big drum, youll be fine with that too.