Stopsign32v

Would a 3000 series be reckless for surf and pier off NC?

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

Well I don't think any huge monsters live off the coast of NC but I wanted to know if you guys think a 3000 series with 15lb braid would be a reckless option for surf and tall pier fishing? Will just be throwing 1oz metal.

Should be fine. I fish off Texas piers and a 3000 series reel will handle 95% of the fish off the beach with 1oz metal.

We have king mackerel, bull reds, jack crevalle, sharks. Not like you will be targeting the bigger fish with your combo so you will be fine.

I use 3000 reels with 15lb braid more than anything else in my arsenal and you can definitely handle almost any inshore fish with that. What reel are you going with? A 3000 Daiwa holds close to 300yds of 15lb (the BG does at least) while a 3000 shimano is around/maybe a little over 150yds, so theres some difference in that class depending on what reel you have. I’d imagine Penn’s line capacity falls somewhere in between those two.

I’ve unintentionally hooked cownose rays and 12lb blues on the shimano and wasn’t at risk of getting spooled. The only problem with pier fishing and 15lb braid is it doesn’t take much abrasion to break it if you get hung up on or pulled in to the pylons. I jig flounder (fluke for the folks up north) all summer around piers and rocks with 15lb and have only had a few heart breaks from it - but I’ve also had tog and stripers break off 30lb in the same structure almost as frequently - so  it’s not a major factor but something to keep in mind. I’ve also never broken off while casting 1 to 1.5oz metals with 15lb braid, so you’re good on that side of things too. I say go for it.

9 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

Well I don't think any huge monsters live off the coast of NC ....

They do but you won't have to worry about it using a 3000 reel - nor will they. 

9 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

Well I don't think any huge monsters live off the coast of NC but I wanted to know if you guys think a 3000 series with 15lb braid would be a reckless option for surf and tall pier fishing? Will just be throwing 1oz metal.

3000 is a pretty small reel, if you’re just going for Spanish or trout and things of that size you’ll be fine.  Hook into a bull red and there’s a good chance you get spooled.  

id move up to a 4500 penn or 5000 Shimano.   you say metal and casting so line capacity come in.  id move up to 20 lb braid bc you say pier...a bit more durable and if no ones got a pier net you can haul over the rail....15lb braid will cut you quick ....also say Carolina and metal and pier your talking blues and Spanish so toothy fish.   also you say metal but moving up a bit will be more versatile if you end up baiting here and there .....dont be the guy w 4 rods on the pier....    a 2500/3000 reel w 15lb says trout rod to me.  heavier nice if you walk out on a jetty too.....

10 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

you don't mention rod your using.  

1 hour ago, bbfish said:

3000 is a pretty small reel, if you’re just going for Spanish or trout and things of that size you’ll be fine.  Hook into a bull red and there’s a good chance you get spooled.  

12 mins ago, bronson said:

id move up to a 4500 penn or 5000 Shimano.   you say metal and casting so line capacity come in.  id move up to 20 lb braid bc you say pier...a bit more durable and if no ones got a pier net you can haul over the rail....15lb braid will cut you quick ....also say Carolina and metal and pier your talking blues and Spanish so toothy fish.   also you say metal but moving up a bit will be more versatile if you end up baiting here and there .....dont be the guy w 4 rods on the pier....    a 2500/3000 reel w 15lb says trout rod to me.  heavier nice if you walk out on a jetty too.....

I agree. 
also you will be able to take the fish in a little faster, if needed. 
most times the peirs a crowded. 

2 hours ago, bronson said:

This ^^^^^^

3 hours ago, bronson said:

Problem is this will mainly be a shore thrower so I wanted to stick with 15lb or heck maybe even 10lb so I could maximize my casting distance with a 1oz spoon. I say pier because if for some reason the situation arises I would like to be able to go throw off a long pier some 1oz spoons or Gotchas. It will never be a bottom rig sit and wait.

I use 4000 size alot.  7ft rods with 10lb braid to 9.5ft with 40lb braid. 

I like having a spare spool too. 15lb braid on one for low abrasive environments. 30 or 40lb on another that is not.  

I use travel rods alot. So I bring my 2 different rods, 1 reel with 2 spools. Wherever I end up I'm usually covered. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

56 mins ago, Stopsign32v said:

Problem is this will mainly be a shore thrower so I wanted to stick with 15lb or heck maybe even 10lb so I could maximize my casting distance with a 1oz spoon. I say pier because if for some reason the situation arises I would like to be able to go throw off a long pier some 1oz spoons or Gotchas. It will never be a bottom rig sit and wait.

If you are after spanish the reel speed should be your focus as well. 

10 mins ago, hhager23 said:

If you are after spanish the reel speed should be your focus as well. 

Yep, I will be after spanish as well. I'm pretty sold on the Stradic FL 3000-5000 which have a 6:4 to 6:2 ratio.

BUT, while I suck at throwing it it...I do have a baitcaster that has a 8:1 ratio. Would that be better for Spanish in the surf?

Edited by Stopsign32v