hawkeye2002

Best $100-$200 freshwater reel

24 posts in this topic

On 12/22/2020 at 6:01 PM, CTnewbie said:

I have the Stradic ci4+ and absolutely love it.  A little pricey; however, got it on sale and it's awesome. 

I have 0 intention of replacing my stradic ci4, I absolutely love the loud snap on bail return and how light it is. The greatest issue is the line roller which can be very hard to source as a spare part. 

I have 3 Stradics and love them but they are not the lightest reel. OP mentioned light. With age and a worn out shoulder, I have been buying lighter rods and reels. And Tylenol. 

Stradic.  No reason to consider others.  This is my answer to almost all reel recommendations unless the reel will do serious surf duty or be submerged in salt water.  Have caught everything from panfish to 70 lb tarpon on them.  To be honest, i had to replace the drag washers on a 5000 after a large tarpon turned them into pudding.  We landed landed and released that fish though.

On 12/18/2020 at 1:12 PM, faithless said:

The Fuego is not in the same league as the Stradic FL. You should be looking into Tatula LT and above to compare to stradic.

Fuego and lower have way too much flex at the stem. I would skip it all together unless you are pan fishing. 

Never been a fan of the Fuego for that reason. Feels really crappy because of that despite its smoothness. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, littletunnie said:

I’ve picked up some Penn Clash first edition 2000 2500 discounted. I think it’s a more solid reel than Shimano, I’ve owned many.

I actually prefer the Penn Clash myself, I own 6 of them.

They hold up better over the long term, but they are not as smooth as the Stradics.

Most guys don't care for a solid reel if it isn't melted butter smooth so I always just recommend the Stradic for FW guys. They are more then likely not tackling the kind of fish and size of fish I target with my Clashes.

I did wear out several Stradic FJ's in the past, burned out drags and bail arms warped from big channels.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

1 min ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I actually prefer the Penn Clash myself, I own 6 of them.

They hold up better over the long term, but they are not as smooth as the Stradics.

Most guys don't care for a solid reel if it isn't melted butter smooth.

I’ve been fishing for puppy drum and they will destroy the smaller Shimano reels. I like the solid feel and the CNC gearing. I now have 7 Clash

Just now, littletunnie said:

I’ve been fishing for puppy drum and they will destroy the smaller Shimano reels. I like the solid feel and the CNC gearing. I now have 7 Clash

The Clashes are definitely the way to go on powerful fish.

The drag design is excellent as is the extra metal.

The Stradic FK I used would only ever be purposefully deployed on smaller walleye, trout, and bass as they don't pull all that hard.

On 12/17/2020 at 0:09 PM, jkorgood said:

@scoobydoo will definitely have some good advice for this. My first instinct would be immediately to say Stradic but with the newer LT offerings from Daiwa, there's a lot to consider :)

On 12/17/2020 at 8:04 PM, Beastly Backlash said:

You are looking for a spinner.

Just get a Stradic.

I got my Stradic before a trip to the keys some years back, and made it my go-to reel (paired with a 7ft St Croix) for lure tossing.  Never gave me a bit of trouble and was tough enough to land really big fish such as big river cats and rays in the back bays, though I wasn't really targeting either one :) 

Seems to allow adjusting the drag on the fly too, for when a bigger fish than was being targeting grabs your lure!