hawkeye2002

Best $100-$200 freshwater reel

24 posts in this topic

In the market for a new freshwater reel to pair with my 7ft Dobyns fury. nothing wrong with my trusty pflueger president (best 60 bucks I ever spent), but I just want something smoother, lighter, and with a faster gear ratio. Budget is about $150. Appreciate any suggestions. Tight lines 

1 hour ago, jkorgood said:

@scoobydoo will definitely have some good advice for this. My first instinct would be immediately to say Stradic but with the newer LT offerings from Daiwa, there's a lot to consider :)

That’s what I was hoping. His suggestions from his videos have me between a Stradic fl and a fuego lt. I’m bummed I missed out on a great sale with the Stradic ci4+ on tackle warehouse. I was expecting a big price drop with the new Vanford and it happened, just wasn’t quick enough. 

2 hours ago, hawkeye2002 said:

In the market for a new freshwater reel to pair with my 7ft Dobyns fury. nothing wrong with my trusty pflueger president (best 60 bucks I ever spent), but I just want something smoother, lighter, and with a faster gear ratio. Budget is about $150. Appreciate any suggestions. Tight lines 

4 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

What techniques are you using and what are you targeting?

Lmb, smb, lake and brown trout. Reel gonna hold 10lb braid- will be throwing wacky and Texas rig senkos, zoom flukes, 1/2oz spoons and 1/4 oz soft plastic swim baits

6 hours ago, hawkeye2002 said:

That’s what I was hoping. His suggestions from his videos have me between a Stradic fl and a fuego lt. I’m bummed I missed out on a great sale with the Stradic ci4+ on tackle warehouse. I was expecting a big price drop with the new Vanford and it happened, just wasn’t quick enough. 

You are looking for a spinner.

Just get a Stradic.

You’ll have to come up in your budget a bit for the FL, as they are closer to $200, depending on the model. I have a 2500, and it’s a sweet reel. Shimano’s just don’t dissapoint.

On 12/17/2020 at 1:53 PM, hawkeye2002 said:

The Fuego is not in the same league as the Stradic FL. You should be looking into Tatula LT and above to compare to stradic.

Fuego and lower have way too much flex at the stem. I would skip it all together unless you are pan fishing. 

2 hours ago, faithless said:

The Fuego is not in the same league as the Stradic FL. You should be looking into Tatula LT and above to compare to stradic.

Fuego and lower have way too much flex at the stem. I would skip it all together unless you are pan fishing. 

Good to know. Yeah- I know they aren’t in the same league- was just saying I was between that type of price range. Never knew that about the fuego, gonna go with the Stradic. Thanks

20 hours ago, Mack26 said:

You’ll have to come up in your budget a bit for the FL, as they are closer to $200, depending on the model. I have a 2500, and it’s a sweet reel. Shimano’s just don’t dissapoint.

Thanks buddy gonna go with the stradic

Like everyone else a Stradic or Daiwa equivalent.  The Doblyns rods are fairly balance already, but with 10lb braid and fishing for bass and trout you might want to consider a 3000 or even a 4000. I fish both medium light and medium power 7-1/2' rods with a 4000.

This days it seems like many of the spinning reels have smaller spools, rotors, and are lighter than they used to be. Braid fishing has changed the fishing industry and smaller and lighter was hot only couple of years ago.

My concern is getting a reel that balances the rod that has the biggest spool I can get for longer casting distance combined with a smoother more durable drag system. Larger spinning reels also tend to be better with line management.

In my experience a 3000 balances well with most 7" rods and a 4000 with 7-1/2', but it depends on their weight. I don't mid a little heavier reel if it balances the rod almost perfectly. Once you find that weight your are ready to pull the trigger on a new one.

Example: My 7-1/2' rods take about a 9 oz. reel to balance them almost perfectly.  

Edited by Jay Blair