seanw1214

Stradic FL vs Vanford

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

I'm looking to get a reel to pair with my Duckett inshore series 7' Med power Mod fast rod.  I have it narrowed down to the Stradic FL 5000 or the Vanford 5000.  Right now I like the stradic fl more only because the color matches the reel better, lol.  Seriously, what's the difference between the 2?  It seems that the Stradic might be a little more durable?  It's mostly used for smaller stripers, until the Albies show up on Cape Cod.  Then it gets a workout!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just in the same position and bought the Vanford. It’s super light and has a lot of drag. Has a nice tall spool for longer casts. Seemed to me that the Vanford is a juiced up CI4 with some Stella and Stradic technology. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, CLFish5 said:

I was just in the same position and bought the Vanford. It’s super light and has a lot of drag. Has a nice tall spool for longer casts. Seemed to me that the Vanford is a juiced up CI4 with some Stella and Stradic technology. 

All those things I've also heard about the Stradic FL.  Plus, you can swap all the Stradic FL bushings for Stella bearings, or aftermarket bearings, making it even better.  And, it's very hard to find Vanford 5k's right now.  I guess that doesn't matter since won't be fishing for months....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, seanw1214 said:

 

All those things I've also heard about the Stradic FL.  Plus, you can swap all the Stradic FL bushings for Stella bearings, or aftermarket bearings, making it even better.  And, it's very hard to find Vanford 5k's right now.  I guess that doesn't matter since won't be fishing for months....

I see but the Vanford is lighter. The Vanford also has a taller spool. I don’t do mods on reels so not interested in swapping bearings. The stradic is a sick reel as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the Stradic FL’s and sold them for Vanfords. Out of the box, the Stradics were smoother and quieter IMO. The Vanfords I got all had more handle slop than the Stradics, were a bit noisier, and although decently smooth, not quite FL smooth.

 

I swapped 4 bushings for bearings in the Vanfords, shimmed the main gear, and had to shim one of the knobs. Now they are wonderful. Still not quite as quiet as the Stradic, very smooth and tight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CLFish5 said:

The Vanford also has a taller spool

Spool dimensions are the same respective of size for all the “Long Stroke” family of reels and are interchangeable. Stella FJ, Vanquish FB,  TwinPower FD, Vanford F, Stradic FL and Stradic SW 4000.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Thread.

 

I just picked up a Vanford 5000 for Albies and more.  Haven't put line on it yet.  I can only compare it to the Sustain C5000 XG.  The Vanford is lighter and smoother.  My older Sustains are now obsolete.

 

It will be pared with a Century 7'10" 1/4-3 oz Weapon Jr Magnum Taper.  Fun rod.

 

Charlie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love my stradic fl 5000, just ordered a vanford 5000  pretty sure i will not be disappointed. Just get both :)

Have the stradic paired with a st.croix inshore mojo Heavy fast rod, killer set up for Spanish Mackerel

Edited by MHeat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, seanw1214 said:

 

All those things I've also heard about the Stradic FL.  Plus, you can swap all the Stradic FL bushings for Stella bearings, or aftermarket bearings, making it even better.  And, it's very hard to find Vanford 5k's right now.  I guess that doesn't matter since won't be fishing for months....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Inshore said:

Spool dimensions are the same respective of size for all the “Long Stroke” family of reels and are interchangeable. Stella FJ, Vanquish FB,  TwinPower FD, Vanford F, Stradic FL and Stradic SW 4000.....

So I can use my buddies new TwinPower spool on my Vanford?.... That should make it easier to get a spare spool in the future.

Butch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 mins ago, Midnightpass said:

So I can use my buddies new TwinPower spool on my Vanford?.... 

According to the tech specs on Shimano's Japan site, the spool dimensions are all the same, size for size.

 

I have a C5000 Stella FJ, Vanquish FB and Stradic FL and the spools and handle assemblies all interchange.

Edited by Inshore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.