Flukemaster12

Surfcasting Brooklyn

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

He knows. Trying to not spot burn. Never show background in your pictures. A moot point in that location as probably always bucket to bucket 

4 mins ago, Igorlim said:

Verrezano.

Come-on Igor

I was kidding

Been there on more than few ocassions

Wife was shopping in the store next to that fish while I was in Dick's

1 min ago, Tucker 63 said:

He knows. Trying to not spot burn. Never show background in your pictures. A moot point in that location as probably always bucket to bucket 

:howdy:

That spot was burn long time ago.

Sometimes you can see bucket to bucket from there to the bridge.

Who knows how many pedestrians and bikers were hook on the cast from people that shouldn't be holding rod with hooks  at all.

4 mins ago, Tucker 63 said:

Funniest thing is not that many people fish this 4.5 mile stretch of shore anymore. Years ago it used to be packed. Nowadays its maybe 30 guys on a good summer day. So if somebody is new to Brooklyn fishing its a good area to start.

9 mins ago, Popasilov said:

:howdy:

That spot was burn long time ago.

Sometimes you can see bucket to bucket from there to the bridge.

Who knows how many pedestrians and bikers were hook on the cast from people that shouldn't be holding rod with hooks  at all.

Snappers and lafayettes don't come anymore, porgies are a hit or miss, fluke is mostly undersized, flounder is very rare, and blues almost disappeared. So most of the people fish either for eels at night, or play with undersized stripers.

That's a black drum. I know that stretch of shore with lots of bad characters. Most people who want surfcasting should go to the beaches. This the area the DEC game warden can hide and seek violators to give out tickets. 

Brooklyn, where I live but not fish. I cut my teeth and learned a lot fishing the various shoreline and piers in Brooklyn. I hadn't fished the area in many years. That changed this last summer, as I decided since I live a block away from the water, I will conquer the most readily available fish, fluke. Many lost bucktails and rigs later, it was really an awesome experience. As expected keepers not as plentiful as shorts, but landed a number of keepers up to 5lbs and lost an estimated double digit. Chalk it up to no net and a learning experience.

My point in bringing this up, is I only bass fished for a long time. By fishing for other species, it provided me with a fantastic experience and will incorporate targeting fluke in Brooklyn in my arsenal from now on.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/10/2021 at 5:59 AM, Bluefishmaster said:

There are fish but you will need to know learn skills not found in books.

There are many of both and I'm glad most fisherman in the area choose not to search for either. 

Edited by Bait Tailer

3 mins ago, Bait Tailer said:

There are many and I'm glad most fisherman in the area choose not to search for them. 

I'll definitely be giving it my best shot this season, I hope to improve my fishing skills in the process.