Flukemaster12

Surfcasting Brooklyn

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, C.Robin said:

Yes, while it's not technically the "surf", most would consider fishing Jamaica Bay from shore "surf casting". Seems like you're already doing that, so you should know if it's a worthy endeavor. 

Surf fishing in general is more hit or miss than from the boat. Even if there are fish around, there is no guarantee they're within casting distance from shore. Is it worth it? I'd say so, no matter which part of NY's shoreline you're fishing.

My main gripe is that the shoreline in Brooklyn has been so engineered that the soft structure that would consistently hold bait and fish are almost non existent. Take Coney Island for example, originally a barrier island with salt marshes on it's leeward side, is now almost completely artificial, the sandy bottom almost featureless, at least from the surf. This doesn't mean fish don't pass through, of course they do. But I would say it's not prime surfcasting locale. 

Contrast that with the beaches on Long Island, which are largely pristine, and retain the soft bottom structure that these fish use to hunt. 

Maybe I'm wrong, I would sure hope so.

Coney island is probably one of the best bass fishing spots on Long Island.

Edited by TimS
I'm sorry, but we don't allow overly specific location information here - even when someone asks for it :-)

There is a giant variety of fish in Brooklyn... The only problem is you have a great chance of being mugged on the beach and having you property stolen.. When fishing Brooklyn you need eyes behind your head and try to always fish with a bunch of buddies...

8 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

There is a giant variety of fish in Brooklyn... The only problem is you have a great chance of being mugged on the beach and having you property stolen.. When fishing Brooklyn you need eyes behind your head and try to always fish with a bunch of buddies...

I learned to fish like a spy, without headlamps and unnecessary noise for this reason. Also I carry a machete and a taser. I did get mugged by a fat fearless racoon on a few occasions. This fat bastard loves eating my shrimp.

6 mins ago, Igorlim said:

I learned to fish like a spy, without headlamps and unnecessary noise for this reason. Also I carry a machete and a taser. I did get mugged by a fat fearless racoon on a few occasions. This fat bastard loves eating my shrimp.

Carrying a flare also is a great nighttime tool... 

On 12/16/2020 at 8:47 PM, Igorlim said:

With years and years of trying different baites I came to conclusion that farmed asian shrimp is loved by all species of fish, and so is squid but to a lesser extent. This july while fishing a whole squid at night I had a black drum that was easily over 100 lbs, unfortunately my 4000 class shimano did not have enough line and I got spooled. There is plenty of bass in Brooklyn at certain times but some places only produce at night and you have to cast very far.

Ive been using shrimp, but trying to figure out which specific type has been quite an experiment. Do you use the whole shrimp if you dont mind me asking (rig type- high low/fish finder)? Squid has not worked at all for me.

21 hours ago, Andrew46 said:

Ive been using shrimp, but trying to figure out which specific type has been quite an experiment. Do you use the whole shrimp if you dont mind me asking (rig type- high low/fish finder)? Squid has not worked at all for me.

I go to chinese supermarkets and buy fresh shrimp, usually with heads on. For big bass I use 3 shrimp on a big circle hook. Also, squid seems to produce the biggest bass, make sure to buy those grey small squid, bass loves them. Chinese supermarkets also sell live asian eels, you can chunk them.

There are tons of spots in Brooklyn and you really gotta spend time to find your own spot.  Nobody will share the "good spot" online anymore because of spot burners bring poachers and garbage.