Flukemaster12

Surfcasting Brooklyn

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

I fish mainly from a boat. This year I had some repair work done in August and for a couple weeks tried my hand at surf fishing in the interim. I'm very familiar with my local waters, Rockaway Inlet and Gravesend/Jamaica bay and the various creeks. I even came across a bluefish blitz on peanuts in one of the back bay creeks. I fished at night a bunch of times, mostly with chunks and caught a couple blues among many many dogfish. 

I had a friend fish the same spot as I during August and he came up with a keeper bass, so I know they're around and targetable from the shore.

I'd like to get more into surfcasting in Brooklyn, but I want to know if its a worthy endeavor.  

Would appreciate a pm if someone would like to discuss it in more detail.

Thanks,

J Bay has some Donkey's in the spring... boat guys have an advantage especially if there are bunker near the airport. But you probably know that...Access from shore is a game depending where you fish.

Gateway has a lot of spots... fish close to those that you knew from the boat. That's a start

1 hour ago, fishinthedark said:

J Bay has some Donkey's in the spring... boat guys have an advantage especially if there are bunker near the airport. But you probably know that...Access from shore is a game depending where you fish.

Gateway has a lot of spots... fish close to those that you knew from the boat. That's a start

I fished the bay a ton this year, and did pretty well. What I really want to know is whether surfcasting in my area is really worth trying, but I guess that's up to me to find out.  

That is the Game.. not being a d!ck here but that is how I see it,....

just saying.... this journey is a lonely one...

.... best of luck and Catch em up

Edited by fishinthedark

21 mins ago, Flukemaster12 said:

I fished the bay a ton this year, and did pretty well. What I really want to know is whether surfcasting in my area is really worth trying, but I guess that's up to me to find out.  

Worth trying?? The western South Shore has the best,most consistent and longest striped bass season anywhere on the coast,you can catch bass from March to January,fluke from May to September,bluefish from May to December,balckfish,porgies ect,the only thing left keeping me here in NY is the incredible surf fishing.

5 mins ago, relentless pursuit said:

Worth trying?? The western South Shore has the best,most consistent and longest striped bass season anywhere on the coast,you can catch bass from March to January,fluke from May to September,bluefish from May to December,balckfish,porgies ect,the only thing left keeping me here in NY is the incredible surf fishing.

Well, I'm specifically talking about the Brooklyn shoreline. I live in South Brooklyn, so I'm very close to the water. I know full well what kind of fishing there is during the year.. from boat. I've only dabbled in surfcasting and am intrigued by what I could learn is all.

51 mins ago, Flukemaster12 said:

The inherent limitations associated with fishing from shore are a blessing in disguise and train the angler to do more with less.  Detail is often lost drifting through a spot repeatedly, fast fishing different spots looking for fish while a shorebound caster waits patiently for a piece of water to light up with the tide.  Either approach require their own list of skills, not all of which are interchangeable.  Having the opportunity to slow your fishing down to the water available at your feet might reveal detail in patterns you may have missed before. The discipline of limitation challenges the efficiency of your overall approach in or out of a boat and can make you a more observant angler regardles of the quarry. 

Edited by DeepBlue85

Hello, I had to register just to reply to this post. I live in Brooklyn and fish here as well. This october-november I was able to catch a 45 incher, a 37 incher, and numerours smaller bass. I fish at night during low tide and use squid and shrimp for bait.

Edited by Igorlim
My first post

This is me with a fat 35 incher that I kept. This fish  was exactly 35 inches so please do not start nonsense. It weighted almost 24 lbs.

IMG-20201129-WA0004.jpg

Edited by Igorlim

58 mins ago, Igorlim said:

Hello, I had to register just to reply to this post. I live in Brooklyn and fish here as well. This october-november I was able to catch a 45 incher, a 37 incher, and numerours smaller bass. I fish at night during low tide and use squid and shrimp for bait.

That's awesome, those are some nice catches. Any reason you use Squid/Shrimp instead of bunker?

I fished at night maybe half a dozen times with a friend, we mostly caught dogfish with a sprinkling of bluefish. The one time I didn't go my friend caught a nice keeper bass, and this is in the middle of August, which is not the best month for bass in the NY Bight, especially from shore. 

For me, I think I want the added challenge, the hunt so to speak. It felt great to catch those blues from shore, and I think I'll dedicate some more time this season to learning my local shores. 

With years and years of trying different baites I came to conclusion that farmed asian shrimp is loved by all species of fish, and so is squid but to a lesser extent. This july while fishing a whole squid at night I had a black drum that was easily over 100 lbs, unfortunately my 4000 class shimano did not have enough line and I got spooled. There is plenty of bass in Brooklyn at certain times but some places only produce at night and you have to cast very far.

I never fished Brooklyn shoreline but it wouldn’t take me that long to figure out if any spots hold fish. I would put in some miles at low tide to see structure and toss Cotten cordell pencils along the way. Do the same at different tides sunrise, sunset and after dark. 

Yes, while it's not technically the "surf", most would consider fishing Jamaica Bay from shore "surf casting". Seems like you're already doing that, so you should know if it's a worthy endeavor. 

Surf fishing in general is more hit or miss than from the boat. Even if there are fish around, there is no guarantee they're within casting distance from shore. Is it worth it? I'd say so, no matter which part of NY's shoreline you're fishing.