Pma531

Stafford forge

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hey SOL,

I was just curious about Stafford Forge, Wharton State Forest and all adjoining woodlands. Looking to get out with the son probably next year. Are all atvs off limits (Really just a go kart for the kids)? What about camping, fishing, fires?

Anyone have any experiences back there. I just moved to the area in September and can literally see it from my front porch. Thanks 

Edited by Pma531

14 mins ago, adams54 said:

Wharton State forest requires registered and insured vehicle so that means no atvs

Hmmm...ok. I gotta see what dmv allows to be registered and insured then. 

2 mins ago, adams54 said:

Dont think atvs can be plated in nj

No ATV's, dirt bikes, side by sides, even snowmobiles, can be operated legally in NJ state or county parks, forests, WMA's, or anything else gubmint controlled ( at least down here, I dunno about the northern part of the state) . Years ago I tried to take a shortcut thru the Pygmy Forest ( part of the Warren Grove WMA ) and was chased down and ticketed even though I was on my plated, street legal, registered, and insured Suzuki SP 370.  " No motorcycles, means no motorcycles, son." 

Camping only in allowed areas, and ya gotta register somewhere first.. Fires are subject to the State Fire Service call, and can be prohibited if dangerous conditions exist.

All of that said, welcome to the Pine Barrens. You're in a great spot down there. Stafford Forge is great as is the Wharton Tract. Same goes for Warren Grove, Penn Forest, etc. There are small WMAs all around you, just look for the brown signs, as well as the large forests I just mentioned. Many great rivers and creeks for canoeing, fishing, and even overnight canoe camping trips. Can be really good fishing for pickerel upstream, LMB's mid range, and stripers on the brackish ends. 

I've canoed and fished almost every creek and river in south Jersey, and they are great. The Maurice River ( correctly pronounced Moriss ) is my favorite for the beauty, and fishing, but that's alot further south. The  Wading River flows through a private campground, so an overnight trip is possible. Trust me, my first one of those as a kid was just the best. 

I could go on and on.

PM me if you would like me to, :laugh: 

Haha are there maps online that’ll show

you what’s what? Like if I’m in the forge or Penn State Forest? There has to be some pretty cool stuff back there!! Just gotta go find it!

I was back there the other day but found out it was shotgun week... Didn’t feel like catching a 12ga so I left it for another day. Haha

14 hours ago, Pma531 said:

Haha are there maps online that’ll show

you what’s what?

I don't know, but I would hope so. Many, many years ago I used to go the the office at Lebanon State Forest and buy paper ( yes paper lol ) quadrant topographical maps of the state parks/forests. They were a buck apiece back then, which was good, cause you needed quite a few to cover a large area. Used them to find creeks and ponds that had no trails to them. Compass and maps.  Great adventures for a young boy wandering the pines by himself. 

Finally did our first hike back there today. Holy crap there is a lot of land!! Probably back there for like 3.5-4 hours. Mainly stayed on what presumably looked like old fire trails. Wanted to check out a lake in the middle of nowhere. Son wouldn’t let me leave the fishing pole at home. Haha 

FF905363-2091-4B16-BE17-C70172785EBF.jpeg

On 3/14/2021 at 4:02 PM, LBI SurfRat said:

Looks like good spot for duck. Probably loaded with pickerel. 

Def more than a couple ducks around for sure. Tried fishing briefly but no luck. I’m sure they are in there though.

I used to wander around the Browns Mills area in the early 70’s, Pop was in Deborah Hospital , my baby bro & I would bushwhack till the sun started setting , ended up on Army property a few times . Amazing area for a kid from Jersey City to explore, the area you are referencing , what is the tick situation like ? I’d like to hike that area now that I have the time. I’ve kayaked Double Trouble State Park , however I’m looking to do something on foot . I’ve always been fascinated with the Pine Barrens , a treasure we are fortunate to have access to . Thank you for any info you care to share . 

There are a ton of resources on the barrens in the public record. I canoed a bunch in the 70s. Wow I’m old. 

get good map info. Don’t ask Chum. He will lead you into a trap and feed you to his family. 

You ain’t lyin brother ! Where’d the time go .... liking the skel, good tip , I’ll do the work & research. I hear ya , some of those backwoods fellas are a little ahhh, “ different “ lol My concern was ticks effing with my four legged partner, I’ll just take the usual precautions , adapt & overcome .