Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hello 

I want to get a CTS AIR 8 foot blank rated 3/8-1ounce ,that is rated med-fast -- fast. I want to use it for fishing back bays and light tackle surf fishing ( primarily bucktails, diamond jigs, cast masters and crocodiles). Do any of you guys have one ? And if you do how do you like it so far ? 

You can look at my build for more info on this, but I built a vaportrail rated to 3oz and it broke casting a 2.3oz plug. They sent me a new blank of a heavier rating that their designer said would “handle” that 2.3oz plug. 

in short I would step up to a heavier blank if you plan on laying into a cast with 1oz.

Edited by Dustyn

With CTS I would agree their ratings are a bit off. I have a 1 to 3oz VT and I wouldn't throw over 2.25oz with it. I also have a EliteSD 1/2 to 1.5oz. I wouldn't throw over 1oz with it. Other than ratings it is hard to beat a CTS blank. I would suggest a KL-H guide layout. 

Edited by cec127

Oh , I see what you guys are saying about their rating being a bit off. The stuff that I'm going to be throwing is going to be from 1/2 to at most an ounce. So it would probably be a good idea to step up to the blank that is rated from 1/2 an ounce to 1 1/2 ounce or would that still be a bit too light ?

Typ.

I am the CTS U.S. Rep.

Contact me if you wish   hladen@hotmail.com

Cec and Dust are correct.  But, like many blank manufactures - IMO  -they use too wide parameters.

Realistically - how can you expect a casting blank to cast well at both ends of the lure weight window of 3/8 to 1.0 Oz.

Herb

I see what you mean Herb. Every blank has it own sweet spot and throwing either end of lure weight window is not ideal. If the parameters are wider then what they actually are what do you think the sweet spot of 1/2 to 1- 1/2 be?

You will be fine as long as your not laying into the blank with anything close to the max range. But when there is fish at the end of your cast with a one ounce tin you will be pushing and pulling that blank the best you can to stay in the fish.

if I were you I would step it up one size.

for the record that vt I built was freaking awesome. Great for the range your talking about throwing.

Typical,

The published CTS lure weight window is a result of anecdotal feedback from actual casters.

But, as I am sure you realize, that is highly subjective.

I have one customer who had a custom one piece VT made - and his comment was that he casts like he intends to "break" the rod.

Another customer had a custom CTS made with higher modulus graphite in the tip area - not good for breakage - but he didn't care because he is gentle with his gear.

So two different casters who would give two different feedback.

All I can say is that don't expect to be able to cast efficiently at the hi and low lure weights.

It's hard to pinpoint the sweet spot with out "wiggling" the rod.  But as a guess I would say 2/3rds up from the low.

Herb.

P.S. The AIR is a very popular blank.  You should also know that the posted CTS models on the CTS site are not the only ones available.  When a customer wants a custom blank, he will pay a one-time-once design fee.  Once that blank has been built it is open to anyone else who wants that design.

So - if you want a lure weight or length not on the site - it might be "hiding" in the corner someplace.

Edited by HL