RussB

WTB rod/reel combos: all-purpose kayak/back bay striper/fluking rigs

30 posts in this topic

Interested in picking up all-purpose rigs I can wield from the kayak to catch schoolie sized stripers, weakfish, and fluke with. I'd also be using these in land-based backwater situations.

I'm a spinning reel guy, but only because that's what I use all the time. I wouldn't rule out a conventional setup.

I'm in South Jersey but can help with shipping for non-local deals.

I'm thinking of a setup that can throw light (3/8 oz.) bucktails and jigs, but also throw up to, I don't know 1+ oz. Something that would take 15-20 lb. braid nicely, have enough feel to work the light bucktail for fluke while having enough backbone to handle the occasional nice-sized bass. I'd consider the right 8' setup or down to 6'6". I don't need anything crazy nice/expensive and I'm not terribly picky. I have kids that like to fish and we need general purpose gear, so I'm looking for value. A decent, lasting setup at a decent price, or a known cheap but properly functioning setup at a cheap price.

Edited by RussB

2 mins ago, Cast Away said:

Spinning or conventional? 

Wow, that's of course important, sorry I left it out.

I've only ever used spinning rods and so I assumed spinning inside my head, but I guess I'm not opposed to trying new things. I'll update the original post.

I have a few things that might work

BNIB lews baitcaster $130, retails for $200 in store

6’6” tsunami classic conventional rod, perfect for a light flicking kayak, used once $40

i have a Blackhole charter special 6’8” rod in spinning $175 and a friend has one wrapped spiral he’s looking to sell also

If anything interests you let me know and I can post some pictures 

Thanks waltw and Cast Away, I need to read a little about these rigs. I will say that I wasn't looking to spend more than $100 for a combo, as I need multiple and expect them to be abused by the kids (I blame the kids but honestly I'm most likely to dunk one or close the tip in the car window--which I did last week). But I'm not necessarily tied to that cheap price point so I will investigate these offerings. 

31 mins ago, FISH BUCKET said:

I have a few good low priced outfits that i will post tomorrow.

am in south jersey so they probably won’t have to be shipped 

This sounds very promising, I'm interested to see what you've got.

9A63DA2E-FD6F-446D-968D-ACE20E485275.jpeg.54de3876c9ae18e446d55ddc093ff589.jpegF22ADD35-D493-42E1-B753-55771891848D.jpeg.71fd91e7b7374334015190e9ad40db35.jpegB16777E7-35BF-4F6F-8A58-E7B8588E0D51.jpeg.49501d793973b471d8b21319f99301e6.jpegC03F2F3A-9B6E-4155-AD8A-A094141B12B0.jpeg.9cc48c46710b53d4e11d4c95a6abda4d.jpeg$35 for combo on left

$120 for middle combo

$15 for rob on right

$140 for all

left and right are pretty light but one in middle is just right

6BEF5158-6D9B-4538-A7D5-D81F040A929B.jpeg.18614f2d18459ea6ed128e642e819395.jpeg

Edited by FISH BUCKET

43 mins ago, FISH BUCKET said:

$35 for combo on left

$120 for middle combo

$15 for rob on right

$140 for all

left and right are pretty light but one in middle is just right

Definitely considering this, that middle one is just about right for my purposes, as you said. And I could probably put the others to good use as well. I'm thinking the 6' medium heavy would be interesting with my 4000 sized shimano. And I'd definitely be willing to hand the other 6' combo to my 11-year old without worrying about it. We had our best success this year on a super cheap 6'6" medium (rated for 6-12 lb line) Shakespeare combo I picked up from Ollie's last year, with the reel swapped out for that Shimano 4000. We caught a bunch of fluke, up to 18", and a fat 22" striper, on this setup. So these you've posted are quite similarly rated.

Curious, what size class is the other reel (combo on right)? Can you reasonably load it with 10 lb + line? or is it more of a lightweight freshwater reel?

19 hours ago, Cast Away said:

I have a few things that might work

BNIB lews baitcaster $130, retails for $200 in store

6’6” tsunami classic conventional rod, perfect for a light flicking kayak, used once $40

i have a Blackhole charter special 6’8” rod in spinning $175 and a friend has one wrapped spiral he’s looking to sell also

If anything interests you let me know and I can post some pictures 

Thanks Cast Away. I'm going to pass on these. If possible I want to go a bit cheaper. And since I need to be able to hand these rigs off to my kids as needed, I'll shoot for spinning setups for now.

17 hours ago, waltw said:

Hey Russ, I have a st croix tidemaster 7’ that’s listed, I closed it today due to lack of interest, let me know if your interested.

Thanks Walt, I'll pass. That rod looks nice but I'm looking for complete setups at $100 or less if possible.