coastalfreak

Missing Part on Vintage Reel - Lost Cause or Simple Fix?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi all, I’ve been fixing an old Horrocks Ibbotson Huron Direct Drive and I noticed that one of the parts on the end of the reel is missing. It appears to be a screw on cap/but that covers the spool bushing on the clicker side (forgive me if this is wrong, I’m new to this hobby) and I was wondering if there’s any way to fix this at all. I’m aware that parts are probably long gone, so I’m wondering if there is a generic cap or something that I can pick up at the hardware store to use. I really would like to use this reel but I’m afraid that this open bushing could cause some serious problems with the elements. The reel appears to work fine and is actually pretty smooth after greasing it, but this keeps nagging the hell out of me. Any possible solutions? 

If you have any other conventional reels? Take an end cap off of one and see if it fits. Than you know what you need for an end cap. Do you have a caliper? Get the outside diameter and see if you can get a cap where the inside diameter is equal to the outside diameter of that threaded brass stem.:howdy:

I bet one from an old Ocean City reel would work. It’s the spool tension cap. Like Jimmy posted measure it up and I will see if I have one.

Have you looked on eBay for another similar reel? They have to be cheap.

If you don’t mind I will copy your picture and post it on another site where I know I will find one.

This is what it looks like. Instead of having an internal spring like most others the spring washer with ears is on the outside.

gallery

Ocean-City-981-amp-Huron-Fishing-Reel-Need-CleAning-Up-Working

Edited by handi2
Spelling

If you never solved you reel dilemma you might find  another Hobson reel on Craig's list,North Jersey maybe located in Midland park or Bloomfield n.j.  Don't know if he ships

On 12/12/2020 at 3:58 PM, coastalfreak said:

9BECC7A7-DAB7-4C45-971A-F413615023D9.jpeg

Improvise, take a big washer and place it on the knurled screw and find a big enough barrel spring cut it to size and your done..  Just assemble and adjust out the play in the spool.