Zanzhu

Shimano Dialuna S110M alternative - medium "surf" spinning

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I turn to you guys and I would like some recommendations for a medium/medium light 11 foot rod. 

Ive been scouring the internet for days, seems like everywhere including JDM stores are out of stock of this particular S110M model. Theres one listing on ebay for a used one but the price even for that one compared to MSRP is getting silly so I might aswell just bump my budget up to around 300-400€ and get a brand new rod. The other auctions are "backordered".

European suppliers would be preferred but I would be absolutely open to order a JDM seabass rod from overseas. 

What it will be used for: sea trout fishing in the Baltic sea - metals, spoons, bombarda fly fishing. 

Lures: 10-45g, vast majority of lures are between 16-28g

Taper: would prefer something that bends deep in to the rod to deal with the runs and somersaults

Majority of fishing is done over extremely shallow ground, average depth 1-3ft, rocky points, sandbaths

Why 11 footer in particular? Because during this time of year I really dont want to wade boulder fields, one dunk and the day is cut short rushing to the car before freezing in to a popsicle. The more casting distance I can get with light lures the better. 12 footer seems a bit too unwieldy and probably heavy as my fishing sessions are 8-9 hours long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2020 at 2:06 PM, Zanzhu said:

I turn to you guys and I would like some recommendations for a medium/medium light 11 foot rod. 

Ive been scouring the internet for days, seems like everywhere including JDM stores are out of stock of this particular S110M model. Theres one listing on ebay for a used one but the price even for that one compared to MSRP is getting silly so I might aswell just bump my budget up to around 300-400€ and get a brand new rod. The other auctions are "backordered".

European suppliers would be preferred but I would be absolutely open to order a JDM seabass rod from overseas. 

What it will be used for: sea trout fishing in the Baltic sea - metals, spoons, bombarda fly fishing. 

Lures: 10-45g, vast majority of lures are between 16-28g

Taper: would prefer something that bends deep in to the rod to deal with the runs and somersaults

Majority of fishing is done over extremely shallow ground, average depth 1-3ft, rocky points, sandbaths

Why 11 footer in particular? Because during this time of year I really dont want to wade boulder fields, one dunk and the day is cut short rushing to the car before freezing in to a popsicle. The more casting distance I can get with light lures the better. 12 footer seems a bit too unwieldy and probably heavy as my fishing sessions are 8-9 hours long. 

I can't offer you an alternative to the Dialuna 110M model, but I do own one and have fished it a week.  It is a phenomenal rod IMO.  It is super light.  The short butt makes it handle really well.  I got the 11' because I was going for long distance with smaller lures.  I liked it so much that I bought another one, the S90L that has not arrived yet.  When I spoke to JDM Tackle Heaven, they said that the Dialunas would be coming back in stock late December, so if you are a bit patient you could snag one soon I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, koalaslim said:

I can't offer you an alternative to the Dialuna 110M model, but I do own one and have fished it a week.  It is a phenomenal rod IMO.  It is super light.  The short butt makes it handle really well.  I got the 11' because I was going for long distance with smaller lures.  I liked it so much that I bought another one, the S90L that has not arrived yet.  When I spoke to JDM Tackle Heaven, they said that the Dialunas would be coming back in stock late December, so if you are a bit patient you could snag one soon I think.

I heard early next year from various suppliers as Shimano has apprently stopped production. I guess Ill have to grit my teeth and wait, I cant seem to find any close alternative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2020 at 9:03 AM, Zanzhu said:

I heard early next year from various suppliers as Shimano has apprently stopped production. I guess Ill have to grit my teeth and wait, I cant seem to find any close alternative. 

You won't be disappointed IMO.  It's light as a feather and has a real nice moderate fast action.  It's a pleasure to fish for hours and hours on.  Pretty unique rod, there are not many alternatives to it, without spending more.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you given the Dark Matter OB Spinning 10’ rod a look?  This thing is pretty damn nice.  The complete rod fully built weighs 7 oz!  I purchased one and can I tell you it’s a pleasure to fish with.  Rating is up to 2 oz. but you can comfortably lay into it all day up to 1.5 oz lures.  It’s a rocket launcher and I have no regrets with it as it handles and twitches soft plastics like a 7 footer :th: :th:

Edited by yogiiiboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you like deep bend or parabolic rod and got a deep pocket, I'd recommended a custom build CTS VT 11ft 1.5-3.5oz. It'll cast anything up to 3oz perfectly. A minimal build will be no more than 8.5oz.

Edited by StripedBasstardz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StripedBasstardz said:

If you like deep bend or parabolic rod and got a deep pocket, I'd recommended a custom build CTS VT 11ft 1.5-3.5oz. It'll cast anything up to 3oz perfectly. A minimal build will be no more than 8.5oz.

I dont even own a lure thats 1.5oz, I guess what Im looking for would be considered ultralight for the ocean surfcaster crowd. 

 

3 hours ago, Draekon said:

I would look at the Daiwa Lateo which I don't have myself but a friend does. 

Thanks, Im looking  in to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Zanzhu said:

I dont even own a lure thats 1.5oz, I guess what Im looking for would be considered ultralight for the ocean surfcaster crowd. 

 

Thanks, Im looking  in to it. 

I'm throwing 1/2oz to 1oz bucktails, swimbaits and 2oz loaded 6" cordell pencils when they blowing up. I've owned two Dialuna 10'-6"MH, two Excense Genos 11ft H, Daiwa Labrax AGS 10'-6"mh, and a Daiwa Morethan Branzino AGS 11ft Heavy on the way. I like the CTS 11ft out of all of them. It's got more power to punch stuff through the wind, more backbone and just overall a more versatile rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, StripedBasstardz said:

If you like deep bend or parabolic rod and got a deep pocket, I'd recommended a custom build CTS VT 11ft 1.5-3.5oz. It'll cast anything up to 3oz perfectly. A minimal build will be no more than 8.5oz.

That's friggin NICE !!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of weeks ago I saw that Matt from jdmtackleheaven managed to source two dialuna s110m models and I took mine out today. The rod is incredible, the step up power wise from medium-light can be instantly felt, the action is very fast - actual casting motion can be kept short and efficient. What really took me back was how I could lob 26g composite lures straight in to a headwind/storm - my previous rod would just bend trough and leave no energy to the lure. Sidewind or no wind the lure goes flying so far I cant even see where it lands - I am super happy I dont have to even take a step in barely above freezing water to hit the furthest points. Managed to catch a 30cm seatrout, actually thought my spoon was coming in sideways with a piece of seaweed attached to it - there is potential for handling REALLY big and strong fish.

 

One downside - its very tip heavy and Stradic FL 4000 does not balance it at all, after 7 hours my arm was toast from keeping the tip up haha. 

 

Very pleased alltogether. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've recently took delivery of two tenryu power master sandwalker 'flatfish & seabass' rods. One at 9'3 casting to 45g (best 20g) & one at 10'3 casting to 50g (best 30g)

Both have a regular JDM action (parabolic). I've fished the 10'6 shimano dialuna & the tenryu are different gravy. I think they'd make awesome rods for decent sea trout. 

They were a complete bargain at £260 each from asianportal on the big auction site. 

Cheers. 

Edited by london lee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the 10'6" Dialuna and a 11' Lunamis.  IMO, you can't balance a rod with such a short rod end.  I use 3k sized reels because I just want lighter for casting.  I'm using a new JDM trout rod and they are meant to be cast with one hand with an even shorter rod butt. 

The length of my 11' Okuma rockaway before the reel is the same as the 10'6" Dialuna so imagine you are actually using a longer rod compared to other American rods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Shimano Dialuna 10’ MH and Daiwa Lateo 11’ MH. Both rods are excellent. I am throwing up to 3 oz lures  with Daiwa, and up to 2.5 oz with Shimano .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2021 at 5:51 AM, Draekon said:

I have the 10'6" Dialuna and a 11' Lunamis.  IMO, you can't balance a rod with such a short rod end.  I use 3k sized reels because I just want lighter for casting. 

I slapped a brand spanking 5000 size Saragosa on the 11ft Dialuna and spent the whole day bombing in to a good gale. It actually balances decently well and its not excruciating anymore to keep the tip up compared to how it was with FL 4000. The rod absolutely BOMBS 26-30g composites in to headwind.

 

I am super happy with the rodlength and casting distance, to reach the outer edges of points I only have to climb rocks until I'm knee deep and not waist+ deep where the risk of getting swept off by a rogue wave is a touch too high in these temps :angel: 

 

Spending 10 minutes by the car trying to get frozen solid zippers open and reach my keys while my waders freeze on the inside to the clothing is not something I want to do again. 

 

On 1/25/2021 at 2:00 AM, mafa94 said:

I have Shimano Dialuna 10’ MH and Daiwa Lateo 11’ MH. Both rods are excellent. I am throwing up to 3 oz lures  with Daiwa, and up to 2.5 oz with Shimano .

Daiwa Lateo has pretty good availability, thanks for the tip. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.