Antagonizer

3 Plug Variety Plug Swap

Rate this topic

130 posts in this topic

On 12/10/2020 at 8:06 PM, Antagonizer said:

Build 3 Saltwater plugs each.  Each plug is a different style. (Ex. 1 Popper  / 1 Danny / 1 Spook) etc.  You pick the 3 styles.  End of the swap I’ll do the random drawing of who goes 1st and so on.  Each builder will receive 3 plugs from this.  Start will be January 1st with an end date of April 30th.  

How were you planning on who swaps who?

Random draw, builder X swaps direct with builder Y?  

Or we send them all to you and you draw grab-bag style? 

Another idea if we send them to you:  Make a 3 x 10 grid of squares (like foooosball, bobby boucher...).  Number them 1 thru 30, randomly number the plugs 1-30, pull the builder's names from a hat, first up, builder #1 picks 3 squares, then #2, then #3, and so on.  Because you have insider trading knowledge (LOL!) you are builder 10 and your selection is determined by the remaining 3?

On shipping:  Everyone should be responsible for their own shipping costs.  I've found that for small shipments under 1 pound, like 3 plugs, poly bubble envelopes work great and are the cheapest to ship USPS first class mail (as opposed to priority or flat rate).  If you have a 3rd party USPS shipper, such as Pirate Ship, you get a 20% - 30% discount over USPS rates.  It'd be around $4 to ship 3 plugs.  The USPS site will charge you more. 

Any other creative ideas?

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, H'Islander said:

How were you planning on who swaps who?

Random draw, builder X swaps direct with builder Y?  

Or we send them all to you and you draw grab-bag style? 

Another idea if we send them to you:  Make a 3 x 10 grid of squares (like foooosball, bobby boucher...).  Number them 1 thru 30, randomly number the plugs 1-30, pull the builder's names from a hat, first up, builder #1 picks 3 squares, then #2, then #3, and so on.  Because you have insider trading knowledge (LOL!) you are builder 10 and your selection is determined by the remaining 3?

if you get a chance check out the previous swaps I’ve done.  Using the randomizer I’ll list the order of the builder who then picks a plug from another for all 3 rounds.  Then as we go (select) you minus the plug from the list so others know what is remaining.  Builders will copy and paste thread to show the progress.  

Each builder is responsible for shipping the 3 plugs.  

Edited by Antagonizer

1 hour ago, Antagonizer said:

if you get a chance check out the previous swaps I’ve done.  Using the randomizer I’ll list the order of the builder who then picks a plug from another for all 3 rounds.  Then as we go (select) you minus the plug from the list so others know what is remaining.  Builders will copy and paste thread to show the progress.  

Each builder is responsible for shipping the 3 plugs.  

Ah!   I do not have your swap  history.  Sorry.  So many variations in the past ~20 years. Please keep an old coot up to speed!  LOL!

22 hours ago, H'Islander said:

Gave a try at the fabled 6" jointed pikie.  But I used a #1 danny lip.  I use a #1 Lefty lip on the 8" version.  I haven't tested this one yet.  All the water near me is ice.  If I head south I'll try to find some open water.  

20210212_075639.jpg.fe7774266c9542c742109fb41e06cd44.jpg

20210212_075630.jpg

Nice pikie :) I found on my jointed ones that they swim better if the joint is tighter. Counter sink the front loop some and use the CCBC method of wiring the front half. Basically, push a bent wire through the front part and spread the loop out once it is through. A little angle on the edges of the joint and cut the hooks rather than split rings. The two sections will also bang together as it swims. 

4 hours ago, Jig Man said:

Nice pikie :) I found on my jointed ones that they swim better if the joint is tighter. Counter sink the front loop some and use the CCBC method of wiring the front half. Basically, push a bent wire through the front part and spread the loop out once it is through. A little angle on the edges of the joint and cut the hooks rather than split rings. The two sections will also bang together as it swims. 

Yeah, I already resolved to remove the split rings and cut the hooks as the 2 belly hooks can foul.  I just hate doing that because it weakens the hook and invites early rust to take hold.  I typically do c'bore the rear thru-hole to reduce the joint gap but I simply forgot to do that for this guy.  I don't bother easing the edges of the joint surfaces anymore.  I've lost too many blanks because I do them free-hand.  A jig will solve that and one day I'll get around to making one.  As far has trying to open-up a folded-over 1/16th 316 SST TIG wire, you can likely get away with that on a larger plug but I fear that it would likely crack the meager 7/8" dia body on these littles...

Edited by H'Islander

8 hours ago, H'Islander said:

Yeah, I already resolved to remove the split rings and cut the hooks as the 2 belly hooks can foul.  I just hate doing that because it weakens the hook and invites early rust to take hold.  I typically do c'bore the rear thru-hole to reduce the joint gap but I simply forgot to do that for this guy.  I don't bother easing the edges of the joint surfaces anymore.  I've lost too many blanks because I do them free-hand.  A jig will solve that and one day I'll get around to making one.  As far has trying to open-up a folded-over 1/16th 316 SST TIG wire, you can likely get away with that on a larger plug but I fear that it would likely crack the meager 7/8" dia body on these littles...

H'Islander, I think we are probably a rare breed still using 316L. I have a bunch from years back and I still use it most of the time except on hand carved stuff. You should not have a problem using the method jigman suggested. I have never cracked a plug doing it that way. That's a nice looking pikie.

How is everyones progress going?  I've been in my shop fine tuning this new swimmer and did the swim testing yesterday (slow retrieve - on top / mid retrieve - 2'-4' below surface) and happy with the results.  My 3 are going to be Danny, this Swimmer (5") and hopefully a Pikie!!  If the Pikie fails, I'll substitute with something else. :) 

IMG_E2591.JPG.2a3fe3b78682b427dc6736481f0d1a27.JPG

Edited by Antagonizer

I got bunch of stuff sealed waiting for paint , this weekend I plan on getting a good bunch done . Prob pencil , spook , either atom jr or needle . Leaning towards needle 

Gotta make this happen, Capt'n...  I'm moving from CT to FL within the next 4 weeks (+/-).  Just waiting for the shipping information.  Decided on offering a sinker, some top water action and a swimmer/diver.

1). Needlefish in American Eel - 8", 2.6 oz.

2.) Pencil Popper in "Lipstick" - 7", 2.5 oz.

3). Nike in Blue over Pearl - ", 1.75 oz.

Needle.jpg.9dbdc95cd0a8262dcb185cbf5e977335.jpg

PP.jpg.a285ec26a68115f33a6a10cfcc7f543e.jpg

FRN.jpg.780398b90e18e0875bd8c2303fcfee09.jpg

56 mins ago, H'Islander said:

Gotta make this happen, Capt'n...  I'm moving from CT to FL within the next 4 weeks (+/-).  Just waiting for the shipping information.  Decided on offering a sinker, some top water action and a swimmer/diver.

1). Needlefish in American Eel - 8", 2.6 oz.

2.) Pencil Popper in "Lipstick" - 7", 2.5 oz.

3). Nike in Blue over Pearl - ", 1.75 oz.

Needle.jpg.9dbdc95cd0a8262dcb185cbf5e977335.jpg

PP.jpg.a285ec26a68115f33a6a10cfcc7f543e.jpg

FRN.jpg.780398b90e18e0875bd8c2303fcfee09.jpg

Very nice !!  Congrats on the move too. Sending you a PM on assistance with the shipping.