Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

URGENT!

Announcement /Bulletin - Meeting/Forum -

Subject: SANDY HOOK - Private Commercial development of and at Sandy Hook

Place: Fort Hancock Theatre/Auditorium at the north end of Sandy Hook

Date: SATURDAY September 18, 2004

Time: 2 PM

US Representative Frank Pallone Jr. has asked for time for the public to be heard on the National Park Service's plans to award a lease of public property to a private real estate speculator/developer for 60 years.

Concerns abound for the following but not limited to reasons and possible impacts on:

Unimpeded and complete public access to all of the Hook's National Parklands

Traffic on and off the Hook

Public Parking for AND ACCESS TO

beach, recreation, fishing, etc.

Cumulative effects on environs, habitats and wildlife

Full disclosure of financial feasibility, actual uses of and tenants for all structures, total build out implications and

Objective impartial environmental, archeological and traffic impact studies

If you are concerned about the long range and collective consequences from the privatization of public property

PLEASE attend and speak up. This could be the last chance to be heard and counted.

C

Monday Letters to the Press

Published in the Asbury Park Press 9/13/04

Leave the Hook untouched

I am totally opposed to any re-development at the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Rec-reation Area, particularly at Fort Hancock.

I have lived in the Shore area all my life. I came to live in the Bayshore area in the early 1980s and made a magnificent discovery -- the peaceful, beau-tiful place called Sandy Hook.

I have accompanied children on class trips to the park and Girl Scouts on overnight camp-ing trips. I have also brought my own children and their friends to this location for years to roam freely and dis-cover something of our nation's history.

Sandy Hook is one of the few remaining places in the state that is not destroyed by overde-velopment, and children are amazed by what they discover there. They go away feeling en-lightened and wanting to learn more.

My children have attended high school at the Marine Academy of Science & Technol-ogy, a pristine environment for children to learn and grow in.

There is nothing to gain by handing over this national landmark to greedy developers. I would much prefer to see it crumble to the bottom of the Atlantic -- leave the place alone.

Mary DeAngelo

HAZLET