jjdbike

Help gear-up 7yr old's tackle-box please

40 posts in this topic

seems like youve already got a good handle on the things that are going to catch, but kids that age want realistic looking crazy stuff that no one actually fishes.  the real looking old creme worms, frogs, spiders, crickets savage gear creatures and stuff like that.  make it a mix of stuff that actually catches, and cool stuff.  sometimes you gotta just let them do whatever they want.  on my oldest's 1st ice trip he insisted on having his own hole and to be able to do whatever he wants.  so he dumped his tackle box and fished a bunch of topwater.  it kept him busy for about 5 minutes before he started wandring and people let him pull their tipups 

20201215_091015.jpg

Edited by gobigblue

So, been thinking that I messed a couple things. Placed a second order, this will be for his birthday in March. If roll out of vaccine go as planned, we should be good to meet early this comming summer (of course depending what happens, w/ all appropriate cautionary protocols in place). We'll be on the shores of Lake MI. Prolly do a combo of dock / peir fishing, find a bluegill pond, look for a river entering lake, and maybe do a charter for perch. Might splurge and do one for adults for trout & salmon.

Here's my second order. I think this will round him out pretty well. He's already stocked w/ hooks, bobbers, split shot and a Buch of soft baits.

Thanks again everyone.

JD

Image 12-21-20 at 4.34 AM 2.jpeg

Image 12-21-20 at 4.34 AM.jpeg

Image 12-21-20 at 4.35 AM.jpeg

Look for books and videos about fishing that are geared toward kids.  This gives them something to keep their interest when they can't actually be out fishing.  Get rulers to measure fish and don't forget a camera or cellphone to take pictures. These days kids like to post pictures like that on Facebook.  Get a booklet of your local rules and regulations.  This will teach kids to obey the fish and game rules.  Even if you are doing catch and release its important that kids realize that there are rules to this.  If the family doesn't have access to a boat, consider a gift of a boat rental in your area.  When you're a kid, fishing is always more fun from a boat..    

My kid that around that age is 100% on worms under a bobber on a spincast. He's used my spinning reel and casting reel a few times, so I'll eventually upgrade him to a spinning setup.

You can try a weedless Senko, it's a very slow retrieve with some start/stops thrown in. They kill around here for bass.

An inline spinner or a spoon wouldn't be the worst idea but I'd be concerned about the treble hook. A Rooster Tail, Phebe, or Kastmaster always do well.

If you're concerend about hooks being a little dangerous on lures, I gave my kids lures with the hooks removed and they were a hit with them!  Particularly lures that make noise like spinnerbaits or any topwater stuff that splashes or dards around.  You'll get a kick out of seeing a big blowup or swirl as a fish attacks it ;) 

On 12/9/2020 at 6:56 AM, derekh said:

I would look at safety-pin jig and spinner and inline spinners. A child starting out can have a tough time fishing light jigs etc, if he is fishing a push button reel its tough to fish finesse. Jigs under a float are a good way to go.Small minnow type baits  can catch just about anything 

When my kids were that age the simple Zoom soft plastic 6 inch worm worked the best and they caught plenty of bass.  White, green pumpkin, june bug and black worked the best.  good luck!

My kids are not into the soft plastics yet.  Too slow for them and they end up gut hooking fish due to lack of attention 

Bass will swallow a senko if you let them

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was thinking something that floats with treble hooks, so he wouldn't get hung up or need to set the hook. Just chuck and wind with the added excitement of the strike. Honestly 7 years old is a bit young to be playing with hooks especially if your daughter-in-law's not paying attention. I didn't start fishing until I was a few years older. 

Edited by MAGA

Hi JD - glad to hear your grandson enjoys fishing. If he's like many 7 years old's here's my suggestion for a little tackle box:

Top row - $5 worth of candy

Middle row - $20 worth of ___________(insert your preferred child ADD medication here)

Bottom row - $10 worth of fishing gear 

Total - $35 - then give him the extra $5 in cash - for more candy of course.