jjdbike

Help gear-up 7yr old's tackle-box please

40 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

My daughter in law asked me to pick out $40 worth of fishing tackle to fill in my 7 yr old grand son's tackle box. Sounded easy peasy at first. Then I realised the only fish water fishing I really do is trout fish in smallish stocked trout streams. My grand son fishes off of a dock and a small pontoon boat in an Indiana lake, in Lake MI on their summer vacation and at various camping locations in the mid-west and south including ponds, lakes and streams. What he lacks in technical skills he makes up for in enthusiasm. 

I asked his mom what he already has, she said the basics. I'm assuming that means a couple bobbers, a few hooks, hemos and a rubber lure or two. I'm gonna ask mom to take pics of his tackle box.

Now my question, what would you spend the $40 on for this 7 yr old's tackle box?

I'm thinking some basic bait rigs, a couple twister tail grubs and jigheads, perhaps a safety-pin jig & spinner crappie spin type lure, some Berkley trout worms, couple rubber worms and a panfish magnet kit. 

Opinions, additions, deletions? 

Thanks in advance,

JD

5 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Hey everyone,

My daughter in law asked me to pick out $40 worth of fishing tackle to fill in my 7 yr old grand son's tackle box. Sounded easy peasy at first. Then I realised the only fish water fishing I really do is trout fish in smallish stocked trout streams. My grand son fishes off of a dock and a small pontoon boat in an Indiana lake, in Lake MI on their summer vacation and at various camping locations in the mid-west and south including ponds, lakes and streams. What he lacks in technical skills he makes up for in enthusiasm. 

I asked his mom what he already has, she said the basics. I'm assuming that means a couple bobbers, a few hooks, hemos and a rubber lure or two. I'm gonna ask mom to take pics of his tackle box.

Now my question, what would you spend the $40 on for this 7 yr old's tackle box?

I'm thinking some basic bait rigs, a couple twister tail grubs and jigheads, perhaps a safety-pin jig & spinner crappie spin type lure, some Berkley trout worms, couple rubber worms and a panfish magnet kit. 

Opinions, additions, deletions? 

Thanks in advance,

JD

I would look at safety-pin jig and spinner and inline spinners. A child starting out can have a tough time fishing light jigs etc, if he is fishing a push button reel its tough to fish finesse. Jigs under a float are a good way to go.Small minnow type baits  can catch just about anything 

A small umbrella bait net to catch small bait fish can be a lot of fun for a young angler. Just throwing some fish based cat food in it and lowering it down for a few minutes and bring it up to see what they got is a fun way to make bait. Then using the small ones on a bobber rig means he will eventually catch a big one that he will remember. Hopefully you will be there that day.

13 mins ago, derekh said:

I would look at safety-pin jig and spinner and inline spinners. A child starting out can have a tough time fishing light jigs etc, if he is fishing a push button reel its tough to fish finesse. Jigs under a float are a good way to go.Small minnow type baits  can catch just about anything 

+1 on the minnow bait style lures, like Rebels and Rapalas, as long as they're heavy enough for him to cast, and/or he's using good, fresh mono in the 4 to 6# test range.  Using old mono that's been on a reel for years and has set in coils is a recipe for no-fun fishing.  ==>Spooling his reel up with fresh mono might be a great gift!

Weedless lures are often great for kids, given the level of their casting accuracy. 

--Johnson Silver Minnow is a time-proven weedless spoon that catches everything from perch and crappie to LMB, pickerel and pike, depending on the size.  They're typically fished with a trailer, which was almost always a white pork rind strip back in the day.  (And kids love seeing what it looks like moving through the water, which can inspire the Big C--Confidence.)  Since Uncle Josh is no longer an option you might consider something like Fat Cow or Otter Tails.  You could use grub tails with similar effect, but I wonder if it's realistic to expect a 7 yo to thread them onto the hook correctly.

--For topwater bass and pickerel, I think it's tough to beat the weedless hollow body frogs.  They cast well, and he can throw them right into the weeds without worry.

Small spoons are very versatile, and effective in both warm and cold waters.  I'm thinking Al's Goldfish, Little Cleo, small KastMasters and the like.  Maybe get one in silver and one in gold.

By inline spinners are you referring to things like Mepps spinners?  If so, I'll add a caution that they will twist the crap out of the line unless one is using a ball bearing swivel (other types of swivels don't seem to work as well under light pressure, in my experience).  

HTH

Lures are tough for kids that age.  My sons enjoyed trolling Rappala style stuff but not so much casting a retrieving 

What my boys always liked were tools for fishing.  Pliers, scales, measuring devices knives etc. 

Fishing nail clippers to cut line, Headlamp, hats always favorites

Mister Twisters and jig heads for under a bobber. I still use this for crappies, perch, bluegills.

Jitterbug , Hula Popper, or Tiny Torpedo. Heck, who doesn’t like top water strikes.

Already mentioned, Silver Minnow. You can use the twister tails for trailers. Weedless and catch

Some basic essentials for the tackle box. Needle nose, tape measure, bug spray etc.....

If you would like, I'd be able to go through some of my bass tackle and send it your way. I'm 19 now, but when I was getting into fishing, several people helped me out, and I'd love to do the same for your grandson. Feel free to dm me, and I'll try to put together a little care package in about a week when i get home from college. 

22 hours ago, derekh said:

Yes, good ole Zebco 202! Yes on Safety-pin spinners, not sure about inline spinners. I think they would just frustrate him. I also think I'll avoid treble hooks for now. Too easy to damage himself, clothing and fish to be released. Jigs under a bobber for sure.

22 hours ago, Seakarp said:

A small umbrella bait net to catch small bait fish can be a lot of fun for a young angler. Just throwing some fish based cat food in it and lowering it down for a few minutes and bring it up to see what they got is a fun way to make bait. Then using the small ones on a bobber rig means he will eventually catch a big one that he will remember. Hopefully you will be there that day.

Great idea, but he'll want just get right to fishing. To eager and not enough patience to make bait.

21 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

+1 on the minnow bait style lures, like Rebels and Rapalas, as long as they're heavy enough for him to cast, and/or he's using good, fresh mono in the 4 to 6# test range.  Using old mono that's been on a reel for years and has set in coils is a recipe for no-fun fishing.  ==>Spooling his reel up with fresh mono might be a great gift!

Weedless lures are often great for kids, given the level of their casting accuracy. 

--Johnson Silver Minnow is a time-proven weedless spoon that catches everything from perch and crappie to LMB, pickerel and pike, depending on the size.  They're typically fished with a trailer, which was almost always a white pork rind strip back in the day.  (And kids love seeing what it looks like moving through the water, which can inspire the Big C--Confidence.)  Since Uncle Josh is no longer an option you might consider something like Fat Cow or Otter Tails.  You could use grub tails with similar effect, but I wonder if it's realistic to expect a 7 yo to thread them onto the hook correctly.

--For topwater bass and pickerel, I think it's tough to beat the weedless hollow body frogs.  They cast well, and he can throw them right into the weeds without worry.

Small spoons are very versatile, and effective in both warm and cold waters.  I'm thinking Al's Goldfish, Little Cleo, small KastMasters and the like.  Maybe get one in silver and one in gold.

By inline spinners are you referring to things like Mepps spinners?  If so, I'll add a caution that they will twist the crap out of the line unless one is using a ball bearing swivel (other types of swivels don't seem to work as well under light pressure, in my experience).  

HTH

Some great stuff here Phil!

Yes change their line from stock stiff 10lb test to a more limp 6. I'll grab a small Johnson's Spoon and tip it w/ a twister tail myself. The floating frog is a must for their weedy lake in the summer.

No inline spinners. I'll either look for a small spoon w/ a single hook, or swap it out myself.

21 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Lures are tough for kids that age.  My sons enjoyed trolling Rappala style stuff but not so much casting a retrieving 

What my boys always liked were tools for fishing.  Pliers, scales, measuring devices knives etc. 

Fishing nail clippers to cut line, Headlamp, hats always favorites

Yup, mom figured that out and already covered all of that.

9 hours ago, plugchucker said:

Mister Twisters and jig heads for under a bobber. I still use this for crappies, perch, bluegills.

Jitterbug , Hula Popper, or Tiny Torpedo. Heck, who doesn’t like top water strikes.

Already mentioned, Silver Minnow. You can use the twister tails for trailers. Weedless and catch

Some basic essentials for the tackle box. Needle nose, tape measure, bug spray etc.....

Yup, twister jigs under bobber for sure & Silver minnow top of list. They have an assortment of bobbers and split shot. 

6 hours ago, jkorgood said:

If you would like, I'd be able to go through some of my bass tackle and send it your way. I'm 19 now, but when I was getting into fishing, several people helped me out, and I'd love to do the same for your grandson. Feel free to dm me, and I'll try to put together a little care package in about a week when i get home from college. 

Very generous offer. I'm placing order and having it shipped to them in the next day or so. 

Thank you anyway for the very kind offer. I appreciate the thought and your generosity! 

6 hours ago, webfoot44 said:

Small rapalas and small spinner baits, tiny torpedos too , rubber worms. This is what I use around here on Long Island.

Yes, rubber worms, I'm avoiding treble hooks for now. He's to ADHD. He's do damage. 

16 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

Forgot to add,  couple of fishing books with lots of illustrations.  A fish ID guide is always good

What a wonderful idea!

Thanks again everyone.

A reminder why we love this site.... Its the people!

Best regards!!

JD

It sounds like you have it covered JD. 

I don't know about lures with multiple trebles for a 7 year old and I guess in depends on their skill and awareness level.

With a first tackle box it is about cool stuff that is not too expensive.

You might want to add kids' sun glasses and or a hat to the mix.

Clip on bobbers, safety pins like Beetle Spins, inline spinners, small plastic jigs,  fine wire Carlisle style  hooks for pan fish and and shorter shanked hooks for trout, pliers/forceps, split shots, and small power baits sounds right.

Nice to haves are like a trout spinner and pan fish jig kits, or maybe a pocket fish identification guide.

I think your biggest challenge will be keeping it under $40.00.

Edited by Jay Blair

Lures that are a basic cast and retrieve.

Floating minnow lures produce, are easy to use, abd don't sink so fewer snags.

Rapala minnows, however, would not be the best option unless he knows someone who can tye the Rapala knot.

Also get some sort of scale or measuring device. Kid friendly stuff nothing fancy.  Just googled, Berkley has one for like $16. Kids love this stuff.  Forget about the $40, if the kid is into fishing get him whatever he might want lol.....a sweet fishing shirt from Pelagic would be good too

I have a 7 year old who fishes with me often on our boat.   He's a good caster, and I remind him a lot about watching his back-cast, etc.   But they're kids; they get distracted easily.   So I find my blood pressure stays a lot lower letting him toss lures with a single hook, rather than dual or triple treble hooks. 

Johnson silver minnow (gold in 1/4oz) with a small curly-tail trailer is usually my go-to for him.  Catches everything, doesn't get hung up much, casts well, and the odds of having un-pierce his or my ears mid-trip is 1/6th of what it would be if he was using a rapala with dangling hooks.  Weedless plastic worms and jig heads with a curly-tail also checks all those boxes.  If we're at a farm pond and there's more room to swing away, he loves watching bass smack a whopper-plopper.  

I'm making my daughter's first tackle box for Christmas. She's 6 so I am not going to spend much money on her lures. 

A plano box that fits her bag (I added a fish sticker for fun)

Beetle spins

A hula popper (I had a few unused)

A zara spook puppy

Panfish hooks, corks, and split shot

A rattle trap (or something similar)

A Bass pro crank bait