Pjstevko

How often do you fish outside your home region?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Being at least 1.4 hours from any source of saltwater I’d say I mostly fish outside my home region. 

Have not taken a all fishing vacation in decades. Rarely fish when the wife and I are traveling

When we are in our winter HQ , we fish our asses off . Kona is a special place, Molokai is a close second . Back home It's Shinnecock to Montauk in the surf , Boat is as far as the weather allows.

I fish in state a lot but 2hrs from where my house is, if I can get away for a full day.  

I fish Florida 2-3 times a year if I can get away for a full week.  

I fish my local city creeks when I want to get out with my dogs.  I step over car batteries, plastic bags, used tires, but the fish are healthy and I still find it fun.  

I just like fishing.  

I fish 4 or so states for bass a year.

This year was way different only did seven trips so far. Used to do alot of outa state freshwater fishing but, haven't done much in a couple years.

I've always loved figuring out a new areas. 

10 times a year? 

Occasionally on non-fishing trips I get the chance, but usually it's because I'm chasing certain catches/hot periods, or trying to fish with out-of-town friends.

Pretty often, I have off Mondays and Tuesdays, tend to chase bigger concentrations of fish whenever I get the chance or I stay local if I got stuff to do or I need a rest. Hit the canal 2-3 times a year, MTK 5-10 times a year, NJ 10 times a year, RI once or twice and dozens of 1 hour trips near me on Long Island, on top of living half mile from the beach and 10 minutes to 2 different inlets. Jeep has some miles on it. Either camp, get a cheap Airbnb, sleep in the car. 

Only setback is I feel like I stretch myself too thin sometimes so I started focusing on certain spots in all the areas more and have developed patterns, NJ, western LI early spring, MTK june/sep/october, New England middle of summer and my local stomping grounds April-Jun and September-Dec

Never. Traveling gives me anxiety first off. Other than work an hour or more in a car traveling is torture. I also don't see the need to travel until I know every inch of my local waters. There's aways more to learn. But I can catch everything from bluegill to marlin in my 'home region'. So I dont have a dream fish to travel to.

all I do is fish locally I’ve even hinted at getting a kayak and I think it’s working might get one for Christmas. And I don’t have a car so there’s that aswell.

I live on the water in NJ so I keep it local to Monmouth & Ocean counties year round. My in-laws have a place in Murrells Inlet (SC), first thing I did when I got down there was buy a setup to keep at their place for when we visit — great for flounder, specks, and reds. I also have a travel rod which I bring on vacation — things been to Mexico and the Bahamas, fished the hotel beach and docks. 

I took a pretty long break because life got in the way but I'm definitely back into the salt again. The Hudson is brackish but close, otherwise I have to fish salt out of my area. I never really stopped fishing fresh water. Rods usually come with me everywhere I go if I know their is fish-able water. Generally weekends away or vacations are near water so the rods are packed. I have 2 travel rods ready to go if I have to fly. 

Edited by nfnDrum