Pjstevko

How often do you fish outside your home region?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

As much as I can.Up till 3 yrs ago,when I quit fishing for them(they really do need a break from us),for stripers alone,I'd often fish Ma,Conn,RI ,NY and jersey in an avg season.And I live almost 800 mi from the nearest salt....15 hrs to the Cape.I still travel for other migratories but they're all coldwater species in the grt lakes region.

Used to do 50K+ travelling to fish.

My other hobby is fourwheeling in the Sierra, so I also fish for Trout.

Soaking powerbait in a mountain lake is the epitome of relaxation.

trout cooking.jpg

Edited by plinker
add photo

I go upstate (NY) a few times a year to chase pike, walleye, lake troiut and such, although this year I cut back on travel generally.

Beyond that, my wife and I typically try to get away somewhere--maybe mainland US, maybe somewhere in the Caribbean, Alaska, Hawaii--at least once every year (again, except this one), and if I go somewhere, I'm going to fish unless it's a hunting or hiking trip.  Wouldn't knoiw what to do in a place where fishing/hunting/wilderness hiking wasn't an option.

as a general rule, i pretty much stick to nj.  when we vacation, fishing opportunities are always a consideration (and the wife understands) so the answer to that is, yes.

Trying to fish on vacation has usually been disappointing other than when my folks had a condo in Delray and the kid and I fished the ponds for LMB. I've schlepped rods to Cancun, Puerto Rico, Panama & Costa Rica. Very little was caught except on pangas, and even then that was often kinda lame.  Best fish are those caught closest to home. I love it when I can stay within 20 minutes of home and have great fishing. I'll travel an hour max to get to RB or the Sound.

Often, hence the name "Ronin". My work takes me around the country, mostly the Northeast states and I travel with my gear. I've caught Stripers in six states this year. Might wind up down in Va. around Christmas...so maybe seven.

Well, I started fishing areas around LI I never fished before (wayyyyy out east, besides montauk) this year. And it paid off. However, this year I also fished the Canal this year, the shore of RI for monster blackfish, fishing jersey in a couple weeks to end the tog season... its absolutely been worth the travel time. Once this stupid travel ban lifts I plan on Fishing the whole coast.

Edited by ThrowinPlugs

I fish any chance I can. Any place I go family or alone is usually close to some body of water. I fish all south shore Long Island for stripers don’t travel as much as I used to but I fish all over. I know my area well enough I can always pick some fish home. Vacations with kids and wide are all beach vacation they love the water we all love the water. 

When I did more writing I used to take 2-3 "plane" trips a year...they were ok until I finally accepted that fishing with guides isn't much fun if you enjoy figuring stuff out for yourself, which for me is the best part of fishing.

So now I'll do the occasional drop-off trip.  I love them but due to their nature take much longer sometimes a week or two so can't do them as often at this stage of my life.