t_man7

Automotive Clear Coats

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Have any of you guys experimented with auto clears?  I hear they are the best option and way more durable and reliable than epoxy.  I have a ton of unfinished plugs (somewhere around 200 plugs). That I’m looking to finish and don’t think I could epoxy them all.  I hate epoxy, fish eyes, high spots, fast curing time, drips, etc, epoxy is a pain.  What do you guys recommend in the ways of properly doing this?  These 200 plugs are just what I have already turned, some raw, some sealed, some primed and others painted.  I’m definitely going to start turning out lots of plugs as I just invested in a huge delta lathe, the larger Vega duplicator, multiple dust collectors, an air filter, etc.  Here is a pic of a few of the already painted plugs (lordship agitators).  I tried epoxying a few of them but they just started to peel.  I believe the paint used is made for auto clear to be the best sealed wood/primer/paint/clear adhesion.  Thanks for your help

-Tommy 

3AEB4B15-8AB1-4C08-A905-95CD328D07CC.jpeg

Edited by t_man7

I know the finishing method lordship used is a good one because you can see on this agitator that I got directly from him that there is no peeling of paint.  Just wear in the spots where hook rash occurs.

82E48EB0-AEDB-4826-85B6-0063F56115E7.jpeg

D67FBA1C-92E4-426F-A1F2-E5EA537B9F8F.jpeg

Tommy I am looking into doing this as well but as Professor said you cannot play around with a half ass setup for a duct.   You have to build a REAL paint booth that will suck those toxins and vapors.  Breathing that stuff will do some serious damage.  With that being said I am piecing everything together and once I am setup, I'll be experimenting with it as well.   Is it better?  we shall see, at least I will have a good gauge on what I feel is good, I am really happy with my current epoxy process and my only complaint is the time consuming process of it. 

I saw this in a search but I always used thee 2 part auto type just go to your auto parts place that sells auto paint ., works great but you have to throw out what you don't use . You have to have high dollar mask to breath even if brushing the automotive type . It hold up great  .I think I paid like $70 a quart with hardener.

I don't know anything about the stuff in the video , reely

Edited by Olin

hey guys, i have been in the auto collision biz for 45 yrs, and have been making my own plugs since the late 80s, now epoxy vs auto clear coat ? imo , and this is just me, auto clearcoat is the way to go if you have the right circumstances ,are they durable  ? todays ceramic and high solid clearcoats are very,and with that said no finish on a plug is going to last forever. are they easy to apply ? with the right setup yes far easier then epoxy, price about the same , but a qt set of clear will do 3 times as many plugs as the same amount of epoxy, now I know this is contreversial but imo plug action is far better,why do I say this i ve taken a good few quote famous plug builders lures stripped the finish and have found them to perform much better, now safety ? by no means should it be sprayed indoors unless you have a serious spraybooth, and yes with the right componets you can build one, me I spray outdoors when the weathers good and with a good mask bout 30$, now for you guys that think epoxy is less toxic,your kidding yourself, both contain the catalyst poly isocyanates , just because you cant see it smell it , it still give off very toxic vapors, I have worked with many epoxies of different forms over the yrs and have them to be alot more harmful then most things i have sprayed . again folks not preaching here just iom

25 mins ago, bugsbenny said:

hey guys, i have been in the auto collision biz for 45 yrs, and have been making my own plugs since the late 80s, now epoxy vs auto clear coat ? imo , and this is just me, auto clearcoat is the way to go if you have the right circumstances ,are they durable  ? todays ceramic and high solid clearcoats are very,and with that said no finish on a plug is going to last forever. are they easy to apply ? with the right setup yes far easier then epoxy, price about the same , but a qt set of clear will do 3 times as many plugs as the same amount of epoxy, now I know this is contreversial but imo plug action is far better,why do I say this i ve taken a good few quote famous plug builders lures stripped the finish and have found them to perform much better, now safety ? by no means should it be sprayed indoors unless you have a serious spraybooth, and yes with the right componets you can build one, me I spray outdoors when the weathers good and with a good mask bout 30$, now for you guys that think epoxy is less toxic,your kidding yourself, both contain the catalyst poly isocyanates , just because you cant see it smell it , it still give off very toxic vapors, I have worked with many epoxies of different forms over the yrs and have them to be alot more harmful then most things i have sprayed . again folks not preaching here just iom

Thanks for the response, I agree with you that you get a better action with auto clears.  It’s as if the epoxy dampens the action of the plug.  

Top to bottom (all lordships turned and sealed by Ron, top and bottom are finished by me)

Primed with a rattle can, painted with a rattle can, and clear coated with e Tex.

Original lordship agitator with his primer, his paint (createx), and his auto clear.

Primed and painted by lordship finished with e Tex by me.

They are all fished roughly the same amount.  You can see how the epoxy doesn’t stand up nearly as well.  

6E14D0EF-741E-4C47-8CB4-907A22635CAB.jpeg

C338AC62-6020-4DCC-9BED-EE144ED350F1.jpeg

t-man7 ,you better get busy

Good post bugsbenny in my opinion

I couldn't get a decent pic of one of the first lures I made with auto clear paint , but it shines and lasts . Several boys at the flea market have had me pain their lures over after seeing my finish . I paint over plastics , wood  or metal . Auto paints have been good to me . It sure saves time and results are nice  .

firstlure.jpg

Edited by Olin

1 min ago, Olin said:

t-man7 ,you better get busy

Good post bugsbenny in my opinion

I couldn't get a decent pic of one of the first lures I made with auto clear paint , but it shines and lasts . Several boys at the flea market have had me pain there lures over after seeing my finish . I paint over plastics , wood  or metal . Auto paints have been good to me . It sure saves time and results are nice  .

firstlure.jpg

Looks very clean, no bubbles in that finish.

13 mins ago, t_man7 said:

Looks very clean, no bubbles in that finish.

Thanks , for one of my firsts is turned out good , just like all the rest , I quit trying on the epoxy , doing the turning and bubble stuff .

25 mins ago, Olin said:

Thanks , for one of my firsts is turned out good , just like all the rest , I quit trying on the epoxy , doing the turning and bubble stuff .

Is there a specific brand auto clear you recommend?  If you would like to keep it secret that’s okay.