t_man7

How do you go about replacing grommets?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have tried rewiring and refinishing a few plugs lately but am having a hard time getting the nose and belly grommets out of old plugs.  How do you guys go about doing this without marring the wood around it?  I am more referring to belly grommets but some nose grommets have been a pain to get out as well on some plugs.  When I do the wood around it usually needs a bigger nose grommet that I don’t have.

image.jpg

Edited by t_man7

No first hand knowledge with that situation but my first inclination would be to use two part epoxy that resembles modeling clay and centering the grommet in that. They sell it for plumbing repairs so it is waterproof. I've used several brands over the years for various projects and all worked as advertised.

Yea agree with Steve . Once out if the holes to large ya can get it perfect again with some jb weld wood putty . It’s saved my day many times when I efff up a cut or drilling a hole 

Edited by Wire For Fire

To get the nose grommet out I some times screw in a Sheetrock screw and use that to pull it out. Use it for getting lead tail wgts out too. 

1 hour ago, Steel Pulse said:

To get the nose grommet out I some times screw in a Sheetrock screw and use that to pull it out. Use it for getting lead tail wgts out too. 

That’s very smart, lead tail weights have a nasty habit of getting sand and salt built up in and around them that makes them very hard to get out.

I tried a heat gun yesterday and it slid out slicker 'n a bucket o' smelts. 

A utility knife blade works great for getting under the flange to lift the grommet out--thin enough to easily get through the softened epoxy and wide enough to not mar the surrounding wood surfaces when prying.

If you're careful, and if you use just the right sized bit, you can drill them out just as you would with a rivet.  You'll probably need a drill index with letter and number sizes for that level size variety.  I like the heat gun approach too!