Angler #1

Pearl Harbore Remembered

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

The day that shall live forever in the minds of those who lived through that day on December 7 1941.

I would be 7 years old when I heard our President announce this attack on American Ships and Men and Women who were killed and or wounded , without provocation. 

Many of the ships and sailors that died that day still sit on the bottom of the ocean , forever entombed and honored . The world has never forgotten as America was attacked by the Imperial Japanese forces on this date that should be honored for those who gave of themselves in defended our country. To those who were lost may they forever find Peace. Prayers to the families that are still alive that history never is repeated, where those who serve are never given a chance to defend themselves against  such an attack ever again     Peace and Prayers for all this day

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

The day that shall live forever in the minds of those who lived through that day on December 7 1941.

I would be 7 years old when I heard our President announce this attack on American Ships and Men and Women who were killed and or wounded , without provocation. 

Yes, a sad and solemn day for sure and one that should always be remembered for the American men and woman who made the ultimate sacrifice.

However, not all will agree it was without provocation........unfortunately, we still have a lot to learn about what may trigger armed conflicts.  

we were just starting the planning of a Hawaii trip for next year when Covid put the brakes on...the only excursion that's a must do for me is a trip to Pearl...

On 12/7/2020 at 9:26 AM, Joe G said:

Yes, a sad and solemn day for sure and one that should always be remembered for the American men and woman who made the ultimate sacrifice.

However, not all will agree it was without provocation........unfortunately, we still have a lot to learn about what may trigger armed conflicts.  

Not all agree? Talk radio?

...as stated I've mentioned several times during these anniversary memorials that I was once humbled to visit this sacred National Memorial.

It was one of THE MOST INSPIRATIONAL moments of my life thus far.    My step Grandfather lost countless buddies that day there and I for 

one will never forget the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Was the attack provoked?  Yes we placed an oil embargo on Japan.  They needed to secure more oil reserves in order to continue their war in China.  Was the embargo justified? Yes, the U.S. was never happy about Japan's assault on China but the embargo came after news of the rape of Nanking.  Did the U.S. expect retaliation? Yes, but we underestimated Japan's reach and boldness.

3 hours ago, fishBAD said:

Was the attack provoked?  Yes we placed an oil embargo on Japan.  They needed to secure more oil reserves in order to continue their war in China.  Was the embargo justified? Yes, the U.S. was never happy about Japan's assault on China but the embargo came after news of the rape of Nanking.  Did the U.S. expect retaliation? Yes, but we underestimated Japan's reach and boldness.

You stated it perfectly.   Let me add that we also froze all Japanese assets  in the US.  Japan was looking to increase their dominance in the Pacific.  Moving our naval fleet from California to Pearl Hrb was the final straw.

But as they say, history is written by the winners.  Japan's side of the story is often ommited from our history books.

Edited by bob_G

4 hours ago, fishBAD said:

It should also be noted that Japan attacked the Philippines, which was and is still one of our closest  friendly countries  and at that time China as well. The overwhelming atrocities they did to the Philippines and those American solders who fought to save her will never be forgotten . Say what you want America was doing what it thought was best for us and her friendly nations that was looking at a war with Germany in the process. I seem to recall that a document was sent between Japan and America to work towards a peaceful solution that never got to the proper folks until after the sneak Attack by Japan. We should have never interned the Japanese citizens, but we did and that is on us as country to never forget . Peace and Prayers

I did have a personal conversation with some one who was in the Battan March where many never made it out alive. His daughter Married my brother in a trip to the Philippines, after the war. He worked with the American and Philippine Armies during a very trying time in History. He escaped from the march and spent the rest of his life fighting the Japanese before it was liberated by our forces. He led many attacks during the cover of darkness to free his people and it left an indelible affect on his remaining years of living. Peace and Prayers