Xmas Ham

Rate this topic

On 12/5/2020 at 6:58 PM, Nicky Da Fish said:

Anyone cure their own ham for Christmas?

I thought about it but never got around to it.

Now I'm looking for a good one smoked and cured. Really smoked and cured, not the pink rubbery chemically cure grocery chain version.

JD

Edited by jjdbike

27 mins ago, Seakarp said:

I'm interested in what route you go as I'm aware that very high end ham is a thing.

A few years ago I did a 60 day cure along with a 30 day cold smoke and got pretty good results but I don't have time for that anymore. I think I'm going to wet brine a bone in skin on shoulder and slow roast it so that it is rendered but not falling apart like pulled pork. Should be tender but still slice-able.

Fresh ham,not pink ham , not pork butt not pork shoulder but fresh ham.top or bottom cut..8-10 lb usually under $3.00 lb. A whole is twenty lb . cooked any way you like on a grill ,bbq over wood,smoked at 250 till done in a smoker, oven,some good mustard ,horse radish,sliced on the thin side,crackling skin any sides you like now your talking will not be as dry as pork loin and not as fatty as pork shoulder....save the left overs with morning eggs or Cuban sandwiches the nextday..to get the skin nice and crackle take a knife and stick it under the skin some air under it ...some folks will call the crunchy  skin cheech  a roons.....

Edited by Surf bomber

• 3 weeks later...

Probably too late on this but I used to do them every Christmas for my Father. With a fresh ham I used Mortons 'Tender Quick' curing salt rubbed in thoroughly to the portions indicated per Lb. Wrapped and tied them in cotton or muslin (used old sheets mostly), and placed in plastic bag. Kept refrigerated for about 2 weeks. Removed from the bag and rinsed. Would hang these in a Little Chief smoker for an all night smoke. Then give to my mother. She would give them a short soak, then bake. My father used to order Hams special from various places for Christmas until I made one of these as an experiment. He requested them every year after that. They were quite good. Friends and family always raved about them. 

25 mins ago, iceberg57 said:

Probably too late on this but I used to do them every Christmas for my Father. With a fresh ham I used Mortons 'Tender Quick' curing salt rubbed in thoroughly to the portions indicated per Lb. Wrapped and tied them in cotton or muslin (used old sheets mostly), and placed in plastic bag. Kept refrigerated for about 2 weeks. Removed from the bag and rinsed. Would hang these in a Little Chief smoker for an all night smoke. Then give to my mother. She would give them a short soak, then bake. My father used to order Hams special from various places for Christmas until I made one of these as an experiment. He requested them every year after that. They were quite good. Friends and family always raved about them. 

That's my plan for next year! Ended up just roasting a nice fatty untrimmed loin. It's just me and the wife this year so going full ham seemed like over kill.