Jimo95

How’s your work commute?

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

30 years 4.5 miles. 7 minutes each way . i would be home before some got out of the parking lot.

it was a bitch if i hit the red light.

Edited by coolhandfluke

36 mins ago, bbfish said:

I havent been on the ferry since Feb, I see Seastreak is renting out parking space for winter boat storage in AH so they have to be hurting from low ridership.  My office used to be on water street so the commute was perfect, I could see pier 11 from my desk.  Now were up at 45 and madison, adds about 45 minutes to the commute each way, fingers crossed I can keep working from home.

I went in for the first time since early March a couple weeks ago. It was for a Dr appointment so it was not normal commuter hours. 

In on the 8:00 to 35th street was pretty light. 

Out on the midday boat was empty. I sat upstairs inside by myself all the way to Highlands. 

I did not know they were doing winter storage there. I lost my winter storage so I just got a contract with the AH municipal marina. It is inside the lot behind the security booth and it is 100 dollars cheaper than seastreak. 

11 mins ago, GeoffT said:

When you retire is inversely proportional to the length of your commute.  The longer your commute the earlier you retire  :bucktooth:

I'll never retire then! Since getting out of grad school in 2008, I've had

• bike ride or walk, couple miles (5 years)
  • drive through the country, 6-9 miles each way, 2 days per week with the other 3 at home (6 years)
  • home full-time (for the last year)

The downside of having everything at home is that work is just a laptop-lid-lift away. At this point though, I'd probably have a real hard time adjusting to a super long commute.

27 mins ago, Kml said:

I went in for the first time since early March a couple weeks ago. It was for a Dr appointment so it was not normal commuter hours. 

In on the 8:00 to 35th street was pretty light. 

Out on the midday boat was empty. I sat upstairs inside by myself all the way to Highlands. 

I did not know they were doing winter storage there. I lost my winter storage so I just got a contract with the AH municipal marina. It is inside the lot behind the security booth and it is 100 dollars cheaper than seastreak. 

I keep my Seacraft at AH municipal as well, pretty easy for winter storage.  I do land storage during the season which can be a pain on weekends just from congestion on the boat ramp with a lot of people who have no idea how to trailer a boat, but it’s the cheapest way to store a boat year round that I’ve seen.  My boat is only 20 ft so it’s manageable by myself. 

13 mins ago, bbfish said:

I keep my Seacraft at AH municipal as well, pretty easy for winter storage.  I do land storage during the season which can be a pain on weekends just from congestion on the boat ramp with a lot of people who have no idea how to trailer a boat, but it’s the cheapest way to store a boat year round that I’ve seen.  My boat is only 20 ft so it’s manageable by myself. 

Are you on dock 5 1/2?

1 min ago, Kml said:

Are you on dock 5 1/2?

No im on a trailer all year, if you see a seafoam green 20ft seacraft thats me.  Right now shes up along the middle row back towards the dirt lot.

Commute to/from Brick, NJ to Picatinny Arsenal, NJ (Morris County).  90 miles each way. I call the run up the Parkway in the morning, the Picatinny 500. It's been a relief working from home since March. It'll be tough to get back into the groove when things get back to normal. I may have to think about retiring and putting more time in fishing. :rav:

I’m self-employed and been working from home for 5 years now. Was living in Manhattan for 6 years, just moved to MoCo last month. Condos on the water so if I find a break in my day I plan on hitting the sand. 

13 hours ago, bbfish said:

7-9 hours round trip is brutal man.  Good on ya for keeping up with it.

Took a break in 2014 after starting the year doing projects in Michigan and Ohio they wanted me to do 3 in Texas and 2 in Massachusetts same time . Getting to Eastern Texas near Louisiana border was not going to be easy. The year before was tough on my wife and kids. I figured I would be on the road 6 days , home briefly on Sunday and fly back out Sunday night so I did something in Jersey only requiring 600 miles a week but they sucked the life out of me, on call 24/7/365 and they called me for everything . Went back to old job in 2018 and couldn’t be happier. 

Edited by connman

A major consideration for us moving south was quality of life for the family. I’m 8 minutes from the beach, great schools, back up to a state forest, new construction, bunch of shopping, safe town, nice neighborhood, family nearby, etc.

Work is exactly that.... work. I love what I do but sooner or later I’ll be retired. My family being happy is more important than me having a shorter commute. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love a shorter commute, just didn’t line up for me. 

Another downside of me having along commute is driving a car I need, not one that I want.  It has been good to me, but can't wait to finally get a truck next year after retirement.

On 12/8/2020 at 10:33 PM, DonF said:

Commute to/from Brick, NJ to Picatinny Arsenal, NJ (Morris County).  90 miles each way. I call the run up the Parkway in the morning, the Picatinny 500. It's been a relief working from home since March. It'll be tough to get back into the groove when things get back to normal. I may have to think about retiring and putting more time in fishing. :rav:

I used to live in Rockaway, minutes from the arsenal.  Many of my neighbors and friends in the area work there.   That's a heckuva of commute though cuz the GSP traffic up north really sucks.   You take 78W off GSP to route 24W, route 10W, route 80W and finally route 15N?

Edited by GeoffT

2 hours ago, GeoffT said:

I used to live in Rockaway, minutes from the arsenal.  Many of my neighbors and friends in the area work there.   That's a heckuva of commute though cuz the GSP traffic up north really sucks.   You take 78W off GSP to route 24W, route 10W, route 80W and finally route 15N?

About 80% of the time I'll take that route.  Sometimes I'll go all the way up to Rte 280, then to 80, and if I really wanna torture myself I'll take the GSP to Rte 287, then all the way up to Rte 80 :)

I usually leave @ 0430 in the morn. Better than sitting in traffic, though the ride home is always traffic.  I used to work at Weapons Station Earle, but they moved us (Navy) up to Picatinny Arsenal. It was a nicer ride to Earle :) .