Jimo95

How’s your work commute?

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Looking to see how many people have/had it worse than me. From 2002-2019 I travelled 85 miles each way from Southern Ocean County to Somerset County for work. It wasn’t 5 days a week, but 7 days every 2 weeks, rotating dayshift to night shift, 12 hour shifts.  It sucked driving home after working 12 hours overnight. Since last August I’ve been working Monday-Friday but only days... I figured I’ve driven around 500,000 miles in my career.   Anyone have a worse commute?

My commute isn’t that bad. I drive from southern ocean county to Monmouth County. 46-55 miles Each way depending on which route I take. It takes me 52 minutes during the day and 45 minutes at night because I take an alternate way home. I work 2pm-12am, steady shifts. It’s further than I’d like, but the cost of living is significantly lower which allows me to work less OT and more time watching the kids grow up.

if I have a short turn around between shifts, I just sleep at work and don’t even bother driving home.

Edited by Pma531

I did about 17 years from central OC to northern and NW Jersey, various places, Newark, Summit, Parsippany, Bridgewater, Somerset, New Brunswick.  Also some time in Camden.  60-80 miles each way.  Construction projects so location would change every year or two.  Sucked and extremely stressful.  Does damage to body and mind.  And I was young, started work and driving just out of college.  Wife had a career too, would say she felt like a single mother.  Picking up at day care before they closed was the worst in the summer months.  Also, had several 3-5 hour snow commutes home.  Worst commute was Whiting to West Orange.  Be there at 6:30 am, leave at 5 or 5:30.  Decided no more.

I got lucky 9 years ago and found the exact job I did, much less money though, 3 miles from home.  Way different lifestyle.  Could now see kids grow up, school sports and activities and not feel like an angry zombie after a commute.   Stress level is way down.   I live 7 miles from the beach so I took up surf fishing about 4 years ago.  Should have done it much sooner.

I feel bad for you with that Somerset commute.  I did Davidson Ave to 287 to Parkway for a few years.  Absolute torture.  

1 hour ago, Sam3631 said:

I feel bad for you with that Somerset commute.  I did Davidson Ave to 287 to Parkway for a few years.  Absolute torture.  

The saving grace is that I never take the parkway- Rte 539 to 195 to 295 into Princeton, up to Hillsborough.  I couldn’t imagine taking the Parkway all those years.  Believe it or not, taking the Parkway would of added 20 miles to my commute.

I lived with 10 miles of work for over almost 30 years, but the last 12 I was 70 miles one way (GSP->195->295) and then.. 50 miles (but all “backroads”). Of course, now I roll out of bed and turn on the laptop.

Have to admit I was spoiled and living relatively close to water in my younger years, allowed me to keep an eye on the surf.

That's good, to stay off the PW.  It's pretty nice out that way.  539's not a bad road.  I had a nice spin out in the snow on 539 one night coming home the back ways from the turnpike.  Glided towards a power pole for what seemed like an eternity then swerved at last second to miss it.   I forgot I did about 2 years in Princeton and Hopewell, too.  Ahh, memories.

Used to mass transit to NYC in my younger years.  Awful awful. 

pre corona i was 48 miles one way to office. Only had to do 3 days a week. 

now with corona we are all home.  I miss the drive sometimes.   Its not easy to sit home and work every day. 

The last 5 years I’ve been going from Toms River to Princeton. Luckily I can stay off highways and drive mostly through backroads and farm land. A slower drive looking at horses is better than sitting in highway traffic. 

I had to drive 3 hrs one way on the Pa Pike early in my career, but never shift work like you which sounds quite dangerous.  Tipping my hat to you man....   

i drive from south brunswick to tinton falls x 3 and brick x 2 per week.  my commute has improved considerably since the pandemic; consisting of me waking up and walking across the hall to the office.

For over 25 years worked in Manhattan, pre-9-11 WTC and then in Chelsie. 48 miles one way-GSP-NJTP-RT 1-9-Pulaski Skyway-Holland Tunnel-West Side Highway. Summer Fridays a ball of fun. 3 years ago get transferred to Hoboken, all of the above except the tunnel. Currently mostly in my basement-feel like a slacker sleeping to 630 am.