MontclairDave

Baitcasting Rod Help

23 posts in this topic

Looking for a baistcasting rod recommendations. Something leaning towards all-purpose but with enough backbone to fish horny toads and small hollow-bodied frogs on open water, along weed lines and in some Lilly pads—nothing crazy thick. Also willl be throwing jigs/trailers up to 3/4 ounce. I fish out of a kayak, always seated. All of my spinning rods are 6’ 6” to 7’ 1.” I think I could handle a 7’ 3” but not 100% sure. Up to $150. Looking at Dobyns, ALX, iRod, but would consider others. 

Thanks!

Edited by MontclairDave

56 mins ago, MontclairDave said:

Looking for a baistcasting rod recommendations. Something leaning towards all-purpose but with enough backbone to fish horny toads and small hollow-bodied frogs on open water, along weed lines and in some Lilly pads—nothing crazy thick. Also willl be throwing jigs/trailers up to 3/4 ounce. I fish out of a kayak, always seated. All of my spinning rods are 6’ 6” to 7’ 1.” I think I could handle a 7’ 3” but not 100% sure. Up to $150. Looking at Dobyns, ALX, iRod, but would consider others. 

200 is where bang for buck really opens up - the new Zodias 72H would be my choice, or the Daiwa Rebellion 73H. 3rd gen Megabass Levantes just dropped at that price point as well. 

46 mins ago, buddha162 said:

200 is where bang for buck really opens up - the new Zodias 72H would be my choice, or the Daiwa Rebellion 73H. 3rd gen Megabass Levantes just dropped at that price point as well. 

8 mins ago, PhilCVG said:

Dobyns Sierra 735C ... I've fished frogs, jerkbaits, small swimbaits like Bullshads with it. Would be fine for jig fishing also. 

It is 7'3. 

2X to both. For a little more $$ you'll have a lot more options. I've got a  6'10" MH Zodias ( older version) and it's a great all around rod. Agree w Buddha, the Heavy would be the way to go if you're gonna throw frogs/jigs around cover. The new Zodias looks sweet. I fish a Dobyns Sierra 705 C as a (semi ) dedicated frog rod. Another great rod, not too stiff at all but enough backbone to handle heavy cover.  It's a  Dobyns Mag Heavy which, IMO would be comparable to a heavy in other brands. Fishing these from a yak also. 

4 hours ago, fishnbear said:

2X to both. For a little more $$ you'll have a lot more options. I've got a  6'10" MH Zodias ( older version) and it's a great all around rod. Agree w Buddha, the Heavy would be the way to go if you're gonna throw frogs/jigs around cover. The new Zodias looks sweet. I fish a Dobyns Sierra 705 C as a (semi ) dedicated frog rod. Another great rod, not too stiff at all but enough backbone to handle heavy cover.  It's a  Dobyns Mag Heavy which, IMO would be comparable to a heavy in other brands. Fishing these from a yak also. 

Yeah, the 705 C is definitely on my short list, especially since Dobyns’ ratings as you point out tend be a bit lighter than other rods with the same rating. So it could do double duty for heavier jigs, I’m thinking. What else do you throw with it?

Last thing: Wondering if you (or anyone) thinks I could get away with 704C for toads and small frogs? I know the 704C gets lots of kudos as an all-arounder. But would it be too wimpy if I hit a bit of slop/mats?

Edited by MontclairDave

4 hours ago, MontclairDave said:

Yeah, the 705 C is definitely on my short list, especially since Dobyns’ ratings as you point out tend be a bit lighter than other rods with the same rating. So it could do double duty for heavier jigs, I’m thinking. What else do you throw with it?

Last thing: Wondering if you (or anyone) thinks I could get away with 704C for toads and small frogs? I know the 704C gets lots of kudos as an all-arounder. But would it be too wimpy if I hit a bit of slop/mats?

I bought my 705C specifically to throw hollow body frogs & a Teckel Sprinker in heavy cover. The milfoil and tape grass in some of my spots have topped out by late  spring and by mid summer you can practically walk across the water it's so thick. Frog heaven.  I probably have a frog tied on that rod  90% of the time and will occasionally throw heavier flippin jigs or a punch rig with it. I'm not familiar with the 704C but if you're planning on throwing jigs to 3/4oz and frogs in some cover I'd stick to a true Heavy action rod. 

Well, just got an email reply from Gary Dobyns himself, the same day I sent a request for rod advice. Here’s what he wrote:

Hi David,

I never recommend a 4 power for frog fishing. But in your case when you're wanting a super versatile rod, this is an easy choice. Just know that it's not an ideal frog rod even though some guys use it for frogs. But it's a super versatile rod that'll fit many techniques. Look for a FR 734C and it'll be a great rod for you.

Thanks,

Gary D.

—————————————————

He’s got my business after that!

I have the Dobyns Fury 735 I believe. 7’3” mag heavy. I thought it would be my frog rod but now I use it for lot of different lures as well as frogging. If you went with something in med-heavy or heavy I would think it would make a great all around rod for you.

If you already own Dobyns rods try out the Zodias/Rebellion. They are very different and my money is for a similarly priced Shimano/Daiwa over Dobyns any day of the week. 

19 mins ago, buddha162 said:

If you already own Dobyns rods try out the Zodias/Rebellion. They are very different and my money is for a similarly priced Shimano/Daiwa over Dobyns any day of the week. 

Curious how different? Why better than Dobyns? Thanks!

Edited by MontclairDave

14 mins ago, MontclairDave said:

Curious how different? Why better than Dobyns? Thanks!

Crisper, lighter, better balanced, more sensitive, "livelier" tapers. The Fury line is okay for 100 bucks, but beyond that...I had a Champion Extreme spinning rod that was the quickest rod I ever got rid of, and I go through a lot of rods trying to find the right one for w/e technique I'm obsessed with at the time. For 50 bucks less the Exprides blow those rods out of the water. I've talked to people who actually plunked down 500 for the Xtasy and thought they were a joke. 

It's just not a brand I even consider anymore considering the competition, and not just Shimano/Daiwa but Phenix is making some impressive rods too (the Feather series probably the lightest factory rods in production), and though I'm not a fan of higher end megabass rods the 2020 Levante was a winner and the 2021 supposedly even better at the same price point. 

Lots of options out there if you already own a Dobyns I'd encourage you to branch out try something else. If you don't like it, sell it and get another Dobyns lol...there's nothing like fishing a rod to know if it's the right one for you. 

15 hours ago, MontclairDave said:

Thanks!

daiwa procaster,7ft6 telescopic.

nice rig for spinnerbaits and even works great as a flippin' stick.

I use mine in the salt for smaller fish.

HH

Dobyn's Fury 735C is regarded as one of if not the best froggin rod by a lot of guys. I picked one up this year but haven't used much yet. I have also read that it performs pretty well as a 3/8 oz jig/bottom contact rod.

As a long time Dobyn’s user, if you’re looking for an all purpose rod as you stated, Gary’s recommendation of a 734 is a perfect fit. It may be a little long for a yak, but it will cover just about any application. Maybe not perfectly, but it does do most very well. I personally like at least a 5 power, more often a 6, when froggin. The Fury isn’t as sensitive as some of the other lines, but for the money, you won’t find a better rod in its class. Dobyns rods has some of the best customer service in the business also. How often does an owner personally answer each email he gets? I have spoken a couple of different times with Gary regarding rods, and he is about a genuine of a person as you’ll find. Highly recommend Dobyns, you WON’T be disappointed.

St Croix premier rods are still great bang for buck. I still have 6 of these FW rods that have aged well. I dont think they are more than $150 now for a nice 7' MH baitcaster 3/8 to 1 oz for heavy FW. I also use mine when we chase stripers in CT on my friends boat

These and Lews baitcasters are all I've used in FW  fir 20 years now