Oso

Buck tail brushes

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

So I just saw an Instagram post of a fly tier and they put buck tail in what looked like a dubbing loop. I’ve never heard of this and google didn’t yield the best results. Does anyone have experience with this?

when thinking about the properties of buck tail I can’t imagine it would be fun to tie in a loop.

Different deer tails have different hair characteristics.  No two tails are alike.  Some have very fine, soft hair, some have crinkley hair,  some have stiff hair, coarse hair.......  You get the idea.  Seems like it's a case of picking the right type of hair.

Edited by Dan Tinman

The thing is they were using it to finish the head on a hollow beast fleye!

Ended up finding a YouTube vid where the guy made a brush out of buck tail and ep fibers, and it spun up beautifully. Going to try it out as I have some pretty thin/crinkly bucktail I think would work for this application. Coaxing the hairs backwards so they can be palmared around the shank seems like to be the part of this equation that will take some figuring out. 

Ben Whally is the man!

When he placed the bucktail hair in the loop, he seemed to have a short ends on the butt side, and much longer on the tip.  The effect was to create a bulkhead.  

common technique for muskie flies,they want the hair to flare and stand out....look up Gunnar Brammer and Nightmare Muskie Flies for some awesome examples

8 hours ago, JCH said:

Ben Whally is the man!

When he placed the bucktail hair in the loop, he seemed to have a short ends on the butt side, and much longer on the tip.  The effect was to create a bulkhead.  

Yeah he is. I shot him a message to make sure this is what was happening. He actually has a step by step on his page.  I hope one day my flies can look as good  as his.

3 hours ago, Oso said:

Yeah he is. I shot him a message to make sure this is what was happening. He actually has a step by step on his page.  I hope one day my flies can look as good  as his.

Yeah I was going to mention Ben Whalley. He is a master. It may be blasphemous, but I think he ties a prettier beast than Bob Pop. And he certainly catches huge fish. It boggles my mind how many 40-pluses he seems to get from the rocks in a season.

4 hours ago, Sngl2th said:

Yeah I was going to mention Ben Whalley. He is a master. It may be blasphemous, but I think he ties a prettier beast than Bob Pop. And he certainly catches huge fish. It boggles my mind how many 40-pluses he seems to get from the rocks in a season.

Not blasphemous at all lol. Bob Pops has commented on his posts saying that he ties them the best! 

And seriously, I spent some time in Maine and fishing those rocks is no joke. He’s dialed to say the least