coastalfreak

Penn Battalion 10’ Reel Pairing

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Splurged on Black Friday and got a Penn Battalion 10’ Casting Rod. Line rating is 12-20 Ib and lure rating is 1-4 oz. I originally had an old Ocean City Topsail reel in mind for this but I’m thinking something modern may compliment this rod a bit better. However, durability and simplicity is still important to me. My price point is around 150 bucks. I’m thinking an Ambassedeur 6500 or a Squall, but I’m not completely sure. This will mainly be a bait fishing rod, probably throwing 2-3 oz of lead ideally. Target species include big redfish, black drum, as well as small sharks, rays and whatever may happen to bite a chunk of mullet. 

My main concern with the Ambassadors is the mixed reviews with the new models and people saying that the clutches/thumb buttons on them can’t handle throwing 3 oz or more consistently. Maybe it’s completely false but I still want to make sure my reel is fit for the job.  

Thanks! 
Kevin

Edited by coastalfreak

1 hour ago, coastalfreak said:

Splurged on Black Friday and got a Penn Battalion 10’ Casting Rod. Line rating is 12-20 Ib and lure rating is 1-4 oz. I originally had an old Ocean City Topsail reel in mind for this but I’m thinking something modern may compliment this rod a bit better. However, durability and simplicity is still important to me. My price point is around 150 bucks. I’m thinking an Ambassedeur 6500 or a Squall, but I’m not completely sure. This will mainly be a bait fishing rod, probably throwing 2-3 oz of lead ideally. Target species include big redfish, black drum, as well as small sharks, rays and whatever may happen to bite a chunk of mullet. 

My main concern with the Ambassadors is the mixed reviews with the new models and people saying that the clutches/thumb buttons on them can’t handle throwing 3 oz or more consistently. Maybe it’s completely false but I still want to make sure my reel is fit for the job.  

Thanks! 
Kevin

I have used the abu7000c3 on that same stick and would not trade it for anything. Great reel. 

1 hour ago, redfin said:

I have used the abu7000c3 on that same stick and would not trade it for anything. Great reel. 

Awesome. Thanks for your input Redfin. 

I’ve had a squall 15 for about 4 years and like it.  It is very light and would match up well on 10’ rod.  It’s in your budget.  Very Easy to cast a long way with the mag adjust.  Only down side is that it only holds 200 yards of 20# mono which is what I use.  Haven’t been spooled yet but a large shark or ray could at the end of a 100 yard cast on a flat beach.