t_man7

Scent Chambers

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I believe Steve Campo was one of the first to put scent chambers in plugs.  (Trophy Tackle)  Do you think having scent on your plugs makes a difference?  In my opinion I believe scent is more used to get the smell of your hands and chemical smelling clear coat masked.  Not to make your plug smell like a real fish, but this is just a theory.  photo from the January 2017 article by Dave Anderson called "Plug Building: Trophy Tackle Needlefish" uploaded by the fisherman magazine.

2017-1-plug-building-needlefish-scents-2.jpg

I am 100% certain that fish respond to smells. 

Perfect example.  Bunker oil.  

I bait my fishtrap with bunker oil and oats.    I catch alot of fish in there. 

I also notice if I apply sunblock, bug spray or get gas for my car I catch alot less.  

I was also lookin at the Bill Hurley jig head that has a hole for a scent plug. 

Thinking of drilling my own hole. Stuffing it with oil soaked cotton or sponge. 

2 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I am 100% certain that fish respond to smells. 

Perfect example.  Bunker oil.  

I bait my fishtrap with bunker oil and oats.    I catch alot of fish in there. 

I also notice if I apply sunblock, bug spray or get gas for my car I catch alot less.  

:agree:, but with a plug that already has the chemicals of sealer, paint, clear clear coat fumes and scent emitting off of the plug would you say that scent adds to your plugs allure?

49 mins ago, t_man7 said:

:agree:, but with a plug that already has the chemicals of sealer, paint, clear clear coat fumes and scent emitting off of the plug would you say that scent adds to your plugs allure?

Maybe once it's dried & cured it's odorless. 

But I don't know.  

3 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Maybe once it's dried & cured it's odorless. 

But I don't know.  

If you have ever smelled one of hab's plugs you would definitely smell his clear coat.  I know TimS knows what im talking about.

I would place a cod-liver oil food supplement capsule in tube bait and sometimes break them open and rub them on diamond jigs and plug as an attractant...   

One of the ways I stumbled upon chamois as the ideal trailer.   Went through felt, microfiber cloth, jig strips, otter tails etc.

Just recently found how great dragon skin FX is when applied to one side to add some body.

It's now an indistructable curl tail grub that flutters at the slightest twitch...and holds whatever scent I want.

Even make fw jig skirts from small strips.  And using core shot senko molds..I can leave the center hollow and add in a chamois tail.   

Hell I even experimented with differnt grades of chamois.......Which the high end ones are tanned with fish oil :)

take em out of the package and they'll stink up a small room.....had to bag it up to avoid a headache lol

Problem with anything that isn't truly absorbant.....They wash out....real fast.  

Use pro cure gel on a bucktail and it's gone in a few mins.  Coat a plug and all that's left with any plug is an annoying oil residue....Campo was right to use just the base oil with as little carrier as possible.  Whatever agents the sticky scent brands use....after it dries....essentially makes it easier for it to come off.  At least in my experience.

I go through a decent sized bottle of pro cure oil each season....that seems to be the best blend of crap...

I've also learned to only vac seal small portions of plastics with it instead of complete bags as it can change their peformance and cause color bleed.

12 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

I would place a cod-liver oil food supplement capsule in tube bait and sometimes break them open and rub them on diamond jigs and plug as an attractant...   

One of my old frieds did that for FW trout fishing....he'd go through about 10 bottles a season......which was unfortunate.

He had a farm, lived behind round valley reservoir and fished daily.....

The unfortunate part is he never put the caps on the bottles..............................

Never covered the boat............................

and only replaced the Carpet and decking once........

Do the math on that lol

If you ask Steve McKenna about how he effectively fishes Sluggos he’ll tell you about adding scent to them every few casts.  

For a scent to work, it needed to be dissolved in water. Leaving a trail in the water. You would need to replenish quite often. I am not sure how these oil / grease based scent would work on a lure? Emulsion? Please don't say fish grab on longer when they taste the scent.