Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

I'm a once-a-weeker who lives an hour from the closest water (Cape May County; some of Atlantic County's saltwater is not too much farther though). I always try to fish water that my 13 and 11-year olds can reach and fish productively.

 

I'm new to stripers in New Jersey but grew up in Massachusetts fishing stripers. I've only tried 5-10 times or so, most of them (4 or 5 so far) coming this year in the fall run. I've scoped out a few spots that I suspect should be promising when the fishing is good. My lack of success (1 @22" a couple weeks ago) leads me to question some things:

 

1. How (timing, quality) does the South Jersey run usually compare to the Moco and OC Fall run?

2. How (quality) does the Fall run compare to the Spring run in South Jersey?

3. Are shore or kayak fishermen finding good success in South Jersey this Fall? And can you define "good success" if so?

4. Vague, rule-following tips on what conditions and where to target the fish are helpful if you're comfortable.

 

Any other information you'd like to share that's specific to fishing stripers in South Jersey would be appreciated.

 

I've been targeting night time this Fall. Seen some other anglers who also did not have tight lines. But these guys were choosing the same nights and tides as me so there may be shore=based anglers killing it in other parts of South Jersey.

 

Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in South Jersey but I usually go further north for stripers. Beaches are pretty flat here which sort of adds to the challenge and this part of the state doesn't stick out as far so that might not help. Seems like most either have a go in the inlets or in the bays. I know there's a couple guys that fish down here who will have better info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

easter bunny + Santa clause = south jersey fall run 

This is your best one liner since 2017!

 

I am a certified expert in SJ skunkings. I started to believe I just completely cannot catch stripers 8-10 years ago. Then I drove north a few times in the fall and I caught some shorts. Sometimes a lot and sometimes only a few, but it has opened my eyes a lot. I had more success in SJ since then, but not much - although increasingly less time to fish with youngins popping out every few years. (Four total.)

 

The beaches are pretty worthless in the Fall. Spring = bait & wait and some people willing to sift through skates & doggies do catch that way. (I plug away & get skunked more often than not.)

 

I assume there are better places to fish out front and some of those I haven’t tried or tried consistently yet. Maybe someday. 
 

However, the SJ sodbanks are really the bright spot for the region. Read up on this fishery. You’ll normally catch shorts, but I’d bet my life that you’ll be catching more from there than the ocean. 
 

Beyond that I’m lost. It could be that there’s not as much of a run around CMC anymore given the disaster that we call the Delaware River striped bass population. I doubt the Chesapeake SB come within sniffing distance of the beaches on their way south. 
 

Mostly any of the locals down that way know way way more than I do so hopefully they’ll pitch in or send you a PM. The SJ striper game, outside of that spring run bait debacle, is much more about good bayshore or “secret” beach locations & boat fishing. 
 

good luck tight lines 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, there hasn't been an actual fall run in years in NJ, decades really, the early to mid 90's were the last time we had fish from mid August through December. Now, this year for example and I 'm referring to Monmouth and Ocean Counties, the fishing from Labor Day till Halloween was abysmal, then we get a little run of football size fish  for a few weeks and everyone gets tickled. It sucks is reality, there is no fall run to speak of.

 

Now, with a boat you can do much better, I hate boats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 years ago the out front at cape may was good and then they filled the jetty in with sand. Have not been back since. I tried brigantine and it's just not that good a waste of time. Spring in the back used to be ok but I don't do that anymore either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the helpful input. It confirmed some suspicions I've had. It sounds like these are the answers to my questions:

1. How (timing, quality) does the South Jersey run usually compare to the Moco and OC Fall run?

No comparison nowadays. There's a Fall striper run in North Jersey, nothing worth mentioning in South Jersey.

2. How (quality) does the Fall run compare to the Spring run in South Jersey?

We have a Spring run, bait and wait out front, and the sod banks can light up too. Sounds like I would be better off getting my kayak game prepped for Spring then fishing around the inlets for stripers in the Fall, as I've been doing.

3. Are shore or kayak fishermen finding good success in South Jersey this Fall? And can you define "good success" if so?

Nobody who's replied so far has claimed good success in a recent SJ Fall run ,and it sounds like the Spring run offers something more like modest success down here.

4. Vague, rule-following tips on what conditions and where to target the fish are helpful if you're comfortable.

Go North, or accept a good many skunks in the Fall. Sod banks might be worth a shot in the Fall too? Just hard to see what fish would be on the sod banks if we don't get a migratory mass of fish down this way--local rats moving out maybe?

 

I'm going to adjust my expectations and my strategy this Fall. I'm not really wired to appreciate the bait and wait game so it's drive North or stay home, by the look of it.

Edited by RussB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 mins ago, RussB said:

Thanks for all the helpful input. It confirmed some suspicions I've had. It sounds like these are the answers to my questions:

1. How (timing, quality) does the South Jersey run usually compare to the Moco and OC Fall run?

No comparison nowadays. There's a Fall striper run in North Jersey, nothing worth mentioning in South Jersey.

2. How (quality) does the Fall run compare to the Spring run in South Jersey?

We have a Spring run, bait and wait out front, and the sod banks can light up too. Sounds like I would be better off getting my kayak game prepped for Spring then fishing around the inlets for stripers in the Fall, as I've been doing.

3. Are shore or kayak fishermen finding good success in South Jersey this Fall? And can you define "good success" if so?

Nobody who's replied so far has claimed good success in a recent SJ Fall run ,and it sounds like the Spring run offers something more like modest success down here.

4. Vague, rule-following tips on what conditions and where to target the fish are helpful if you're comfortable.

Go North, or accept a good many skunks in the Fall. Sod banks might be worth a shot in the Fall too? Just hard to see what fish would be on the sod banks if we don't get a migratory mass of fish down this way--local rats moving out maybe?

 

I'm going to adjust my expectations and my strategy this Fall. I'm not really wired to appreciate the bait and wait game so it's drive North or stay home, by the look of it.

Fall unicorns in the sod banks in SJ would be red drum, maybe weakfish/specks. Good luck finding either. 

Edited by BobBass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

Honestly, there hasn't been an actual fall run in years in NJ, decades really, the early to mid 90's were the last time we had fish from mid August through December. Now, this year for example and I 'm referring to Monmouth and Ocean Counties, the fishing from Labor Day till Halloween was abysmal, then we get a little run of football size fish  for a few weeks and everyone gets tickled. It sucks is reality, there is no fall run to speak of.

 

Now, with a boat you can do much better, I hate boats.

what he said, last 15 yrs all jersey fishing has been abysmal, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

South Jersey springs are most definitely not limited to bait.  We do know how to keep our mouths shut down here though, unlike the northern mouth breathers :worms:

I drive 1.5 hours to fish for stripers in the fall when the salt water is a three minute walk away 

Edited by Bluetaildragger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All said is true... there have been short "bursts" of a fall run down here but it's been years, though folks who scout soft structure and fish at night can, and will, find some migrators ... even on the ocean front.

 

But the secret sauce to South Jersey Stripers are the sod banks... most of which are best accessed by water, but enough land ambush spots to keep  you busy, if you search.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

 We do know how to keep our mouths shut down here though, unlike the northern mouth breathers :worms:

 

I'd beg to differ.

 

All those spots have become a **** show in the last few years also.

 

Edited by PhilCVG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.