Property rentals during COVID

Rate this topic

Fly By Nite

My wife's property has non-paying tenants that are well behind on their payments. We've tried a payment plan with the tenant and it's still not working out.  We've realized they're probably not going to ever come up to date on their payments and their rental agreement is up at the end of the month, so makes no sense for them to keep living there- it's actually a monetary loss since my wife's grandma is paying some of the utilities they're using.  Given the lease is up and we're in middle of a pandemic, is there anything preventing us from asking them to leave the property (in Union County NJ).  when their lease is expired and then try to recoup the money through small claims?

I thought you couldn't evict anyone during covid?  There are some real estate mavens here, maybe they will pipe up but I was just speaking with someone who has the same exact issue.

Basically he told the tenant to get out now and he won't come after him for the back rent.  My guy's lawyer was shocked that it worked because the tenant could have stayed and there wasn't much my buddy could do.(this was in NJ too)

Edited by Tom T

Pretty sure you can't boot them, thats the sh*t part about renting they can squat there for like a year and it's illegal for you to turn off water and electric

My bosses son just moved to a rental in NYC, they are so desperate he got 3 months FREE

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching