Reel Fly 18

Homemade pork rind alternatives?

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

Suitable material-wise, I’ve been using same one of these on my cars and trucks for over 10 years. The durability is simply amazing, wring it out as hard as you can and it will always bounce back. This is the exact brand that I use. Worth a look if you want to experiment. 
63F73504-DBF7-4F7B-BACC-ACF17FDCAF8E.jpeg.445dbf73c06853adf215e7c883fc4f29.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ecks said:

The guy from “Fish your Way” on YouTube uses cheap colored pieces of felt from  art stores and has good luck with it. Costs almost nothing. 

Thanks I saw that. The felt I found possibly not "Merino" pulls apart wet or dry. I ordered a natural chamois leather from Amazon today to try. I hope the weather breaks while there's still fish around for me to try it out 

Screenshot_20201203-183942_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Edited by Reel Fly 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chumfish said:

Suitable material-wise, I’ve been using same one of these on my cars and trucks for over 10 years. The durability is simply amazing, wring it out as hard as you can and it will always bounce back. This is the exact brand that I use. Worth a look if you want to experiment. 
63F73504-DBF7-4F7B-BACC-ACF17FDCAF8E.jpeg.445dbf73c06853adf215e7c883fc4f29.jpeg

I use them, I also store them in gulp juice. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 mins ago, Reel Fly 18 said:

Thanks I'll try them if the natural chamois doesn't pan out. 

Also, they make a red version of the absorber, no dying needed. It's not uncle Josh red but close enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Reel Fly 18 said:

You know it's not "Bait" and don't worry about consequences that aren't likely to happen.

Exactly the law doesn't trump common sense in my book. We all know that the trailer you choose to fish behind your bucktail doesn't make one lick of difference when it comes to conservation. Treat the fish right, practice effective catch a release, revive your catch and fish your pork or chamois or whatever other trailer you choose with a clear conscience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pork rind, leather, chamois... If you are concerned that these items are natural and could be construed as bait, what about bucktail? It is natural hair. I'm not going to be concerned about bucktails and trailers until I hear that is explicitly against the law. What I am concerned with is tube and worm. Will tubes need to have circle hooks to trail real sea worms? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GP100 said:

Pork rind, leather, chamois... If you are concerned that these items are natural and could be construed as bait, what about bucktail? It is natural hair. I'm not going to be concerned about bucktails and trailers until I hear that is explicitly against the law. What I am concerned with is tube and worm. Will tubes need to have circle hooks to trail real sea worms? 

Legally speaking yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did a whole thread on making your own pork. Search for it , Lots of info there and the process is easy and cheap . Just takes time to brine them . So if ya start now they be good for spring 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wire For Fire said:

We did a whole thread on making your own pork. Search for it , Lots of info there and the process is easy and cheap . Just takes time to brine them . So if ya start now they be good for spring 

Soon illegal in the eye of the law. :freak:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.