Reel Fly 18

Homemade pork rind alternatives?

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

Anyone tried making and using pork rind trailer replacements out of merino felt or soft leather. There's a couple of videos by someone making them out of merino felt but it's hard to tell how well they work in the water. There's also an inland company called Leather Baits that makes mostly freshwater patterns. Scooby mentioned making trailers out of chamois leather on his YouTube community board but hasn't really elaborated on it. My supply of pork is dwindling and I'm looking for alternatives. 

And, Yes I know there's Ottertails and Fat Cow Jig strips. I've used both of these and frankly they don't work as well as pork. 

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

I have made trailers out of old leaking vinyl dishwashing gloves... And use the cutoff fingers for protecting my casting finger ..

Yankee ingenuity    very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cut & dyed some chamois earlier in Nov.  Came out pretty nice.  

But I put that on the back burner.  New regs have me questioning if I should even bother. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I cut & dyed some chamois earlier in Nov.  Came out pretty nice.  

But I put that on the back burner.  New regs have me questioning if I should even bother. 

I'm not sure I know the new regs you're speaking about or how it affects using lures? Can you please explain? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

I cut & dyed some chamois earlier in Nov.  Came out pretty nice.  

But I put that on the back burner.  New regs have me questioning if I should even bother. 

To my topic, did you get a chance to use them. If so how did they work? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Reel Fly 18 said:

I'm not sure I know the new regs you're speaking about or how it affects using lures? Can you please explain? 

Circle hook & bait.  

Pork rinds are listed as bait. So I'm 100% sure chamois would fall in that catergory as well.  

But Imma wait and see what my state puts out for regulations before I go any further.   

What I have dyed now isn't much. But I may use it in freshwater.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Reel Fly 18 said:

To my topic, did you get a chance to use them. If so how did they work? 

Haven't used them.  But a few others did here and they got fish. 

 

There is a favorite jig trailer thread. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Haven't used them.  But a few others did here and they got fish. 

 

There is a favorite jig trailer thread. 

Thanks. Personally I don't think a thin piece of leather could be considered bait anymore than you could call leather food. Plus I would think the chances of a DEC officer knowing it's leather or breaking your balls if he does, is pretty slim. Perhaps if you had it on a bare hook it might fall under the definition of bait. As a trailer on a bucktail I would think it's considered a part of the artificial lure. I have to agree with Sytheteacher and say just carry on while following the spirit of the regulations. You know it's not "Bait" and don't worry about consequences that aren't likely to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reel Fly 18 said:

Thanks. Personally I don't think a thin piece of leather could be considered bait anymore than you could call leather food. Plus I would think the chances of a DEC officer knowing it's leather or breaking your balls if he does, is pretty slim. Perhaps if you had it on a bare hook it might fall under the definition of bait. As a trailer on a bucktail I would think it's considered a part of the artificial lure. I have to agree with Sytheteacher and say just carry on while following the spirit of the regulations. You know it's not "Bait" and don't worry about consequences that aren't likely to happen.

I have to agree 100% with REEL FLY. Thirty years ago when I cut and sewn my first chamois tail it was attached to a BlockTin Squid for casting. Anything added to a lure to in hanse it’s appeal is for visual action not sent as in bait. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A word of advice I was given long ago in regards to firearm laws, but I find it applicable in alot of other situations. 

 

"You might beat the charges, but you won't beat the ride.."

 

And the way this regulation is written, it has a vagueness that mirrors gun laws. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 mins ago, XBMX said:

I have to agree 100% with REEL FLY. Thirty years ago when I cut and sewn my first chamois tail it was attached to a BlockTin Squid for casting. Anything added to a lure to in hanse it’s appeal is for visual action not sent as in bait. 

My heart agrees. But my skepticism says Danger Danger!!

If "they" are going to see a pork rind trailer as bait, nothing will stop them. The wording in the paragraph is a giant can of worms IMO. Pork rind is skin, so is chamois, so is rabbit fur strips. 

I'm no lawyer but I've been in a courtroom. And the lengths I've seen to prove or disprove something is remarkable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.