Homemade pork rind alternatives?

Rate this topic

Reel Fly 18

Anyone tried making and using pork rind trailer replacements out of merino felt or soft leather. There's a couple of videos by someone making them out of merino felt but it's hard to tell how well they work in the water. There's also an inland company called Leather Baits that makes mostly freshwater patterns. Scooby mentioned making trailers out of chamois leather on his YouTube community board but hasn't really elaborated on it. My supply of pork is dwindling and I'm looking for alternatives. 

And, Yes I know there's Ottertails and Fat Cow Jig strips. I've used both of these and frankly they don't work as well as pork. 

Thanks 

Less is more.

Just now, Reel Fly 18 said:

I'm not sure I know the new regs you're speaking about or how it affects using lures? Can you please explain? 

Circle hook & bait.  

Pork rinds are listed as bait. So I'm 100% sure chamois would fall in that catergory as well.  

But Imma wait and see what my state puts out for regulations before I go any further.   

What I have dyed now isn't much. But I may use it in freshwater.  

1 min ago, Reel Fly 18 said:

To my topic, did you get a chance to use them. If so how did they work? 

Haven't used them.  But a few others did here and they got fish. 

There is a favorite jig trailer thread. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

41 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Haven't used them.  But a few others did here and they got fish. 

There is a favorite jig trailer thread. 

Thanks. Personally I don't think a thin piece of leather could be considered bait anymore than you could call leather food. Plus I would think the chances of a DEC officer knowing it's leather or breaking your balls if he does, is pretty slim. Perhaps if you had it on a bare hook it might fall under the definition of bait. As a trailer on a bucktail I would think it's considered a part of the artificial lure. I have to agree with Sytheteacher and say just carry on while following the spirit of the regulations. You know it's not "Bait" and don't worry about consequences that aren't likely to happen.

Less is more.

1 hour ago, Reel Fly 18 said:

Thanks. Personally I don't think a thin piece of leather could be considered bait anymore than you could call leather food. Plus I would think the chances of a DEC officer knowing it's leather or breaking your balls if he does, is pretty slim. Perhaps if you had it on a bare hook it might fall under the definition of bait. As a trailer on a bucktail I would think it's considered a part of the artificial lure. I have to agree with Sytheteacher and say just carry on while following the spirit of the regulations. You know it's not "Bait" and don't worry about consequences that aren't likely to happen.

I have to agree 100% with REEL FLY. Thirty years ago when I cut and sewn my first chamois tail it was attached to a BlockTin Squid for casting. Anything added to a lure to in hanse it’s appeal is for visual action not sent as in bait. 

30 mins ago, XBMX said:

I have to agree 100% with REEL FLY. Thirty years ago when I cut and sewn my first chamois tail it was attached to a BlockTin Squid for casting. Anything added to a lure to in hanse it’s appeal is for visual action not sent as in bait. 

My heart agrees. But my skepticism says Danger Danger!!

If "they" are going to see a pork rind trailer as bait, nothing will stop them. The wording in the paragraph is a giant can of worms IMO. Pork rind is skin, so is chamois, so is rabbit fur strips. 

I'm no lawyer but I've been in a courtroom. And the lengths I've seen to prove or disprove something is remarkable.