Treema

Suzuki Jimny interest?

39 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Treema said:

Was wondering of the interest in the Suzuki Jimny if it were to come to the US market. Opinions?

Looks like an off-road version of the Smart Car. I'm old enough to remember and drive the original version when Suzuki's intro'd into the US.

My hunch, the bulk of the US market doesn't want this... yes, there will be a niche market. The average US person owning a 4WD or AWD doesn't "need" it, but enjoy the benefits. The really like the benefits the larger 4WD SUV's, Jeeps, Pickups provide - gas is still relatively cheap in the US, and we like big vehicles. Those who truly need 4WD, ranchers, people in mountains, farmers, trailer pullers, etc., probably not gonna work for them.

But wasn't the flip overs a hit job by consumer reports because one employee was involved in a crash. Then Suzuki sued and found that the testers of consumer reports were intentionally trying to flip the samurai in video footage over and over again creating harder tests for the vehicle until they finally flipped it. Also, it looks like the Jimny is really popular in the Australia market which does have strong 4x4 communities out there. Also at the price point of the Jimny is like 20k to like 30k and would be great as a beginner 4x4 so a person doesn't have to spend upwards of 40k on a truck or a SUV based on wanting a new car not an older used 4x4.

Also, it did place top 3 best-designed cars in the world in 2019.

Edited by Treema

1 hour ago, Midnightpass said:

It's surprising how many old, built-up Suzuki Samuris you still seeing running off road in our So. Cal. deserts.. So they might be off road capable...

Butch

Yes, built up one's can be... so is my highly built up '74 FJ40 Cruiser... and a hole host of older short wheel 4WD like Broncos, Pigs, and Intl Scouts.

The OP was about the new Suzuki... cute, but I don't see much of a market in the US going up against the established Jeep market, or other small 2 doors. Maybe the young 20's kids or teenage girls looking for something cute to hit the markets or beach, but mainstream US 4WD market will be the trucks, sport utilities, Jeeps.

Maybe the hardtop is removable? That might get some traction with some of you.

It has always been beyond my belief that we do not have a street legal utilitarian 4x4 in the US.  Something simple. Easy to work ok. No frills.  But bullet proof reliable.  I guess EPA and CAFE standard is the culprit.

21 mins ago, Stryper Snyper said:

It has always been beyond my belief that we do not have a street legal utilitarian 4x4 in the US.  Something simple. Easy to work ok. No frills.  But bullet proof reliable.  I guess EPA and CAFE standard is the culprit.

That's true but I hope maybe if Suzuki doesn't come back to the USA market that Toyota would somehow rehatches this hole in the market because Toyota has a small stake in Suzuki and vice-versa. And the CEO of US Toyota James Lentz has said that there is a market for small 4x4's from what I have read and maybe be a possibility because of Suzuki rebranding the Rav4 for the Indian market.       

Edited by Treema

seen a bunch in Panama ....the ones a few years ago before the redesign were very much like old school ones and new were only 12 grand new.  wanted one bad.  now the new ones are 18 grand. and would be way more in the us.....read some article that said wouldn't  be feasible in the us and way too much completion here for that market ....ie jeep.  and now bronco. sux Suzuki auto abandoned the us .....

On 12/3/2020 at 1:41 PM, Midnightpass said:

It's surprising how many old, built-up Suzuki Samuris you still seeing running off road in our So. Cal. deserts.. So they might be off road capable...

Butch

Those Suzuki Samurais were fun vehicles. There are so many ways to modify them and increase the performance. Very easy to DIY...I heard a rumor that Jeep plans to make a mini Wrangler that will be similar to it but we all know not to believe much of what we hear. :rav: