westhavendave

Quantum reels under Zebco?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I have been thinking of buying a Quantum Cabo80PTSE reel mainly for the 50 pound drag and some good reviews for a mid price range Florida beach tarpon reel. While searching for this reel online it seems that stock is extremely low and can only be found in a couple of places. The reel itself has not really changed in appearance over the past few years. From what I have read on some other Quantum threads here, they discontinued their 100 and 120 Cabo's recently. I am hoping this is not the case with the 80. Does anyone know if this model is being discontinued, it seems that Zebco is not really supporting this brand and I fear if I buy this reel that I might be left with an unsupported product.  Unfortunately there are not many 8000 class reels out there with the line capacity and 50# drag of the Boca at the $239 price point. 

Not the best tarpon reel out there for the money.I trashed one in 3 days catching jacks in the bay. Get a BG 5000 and call it a day. If you're hellbent on spending $200+ get a Slammer or Spheros. Studying drag ratings is kinda silly in the first place.

Edited by BridgeTender

52 mins ago, BridgeTender said:

Not the best tarpon reel out there for the money.I trashed one in 3 days catching jacks in the bay. Get a BG 5000 and call it a day. If you're hellbent on spending $200+ get a Slammer or Spheros. Studying drag ratings is kinda silly in the first place.  

I should have added that I am fishing mainly inlet mouths so drag may come in to play a bit. Throwing large swimming plugs, not bucktailing. 

13 hours ago, BridgeTender said:

My friend down in the keys has bocas and cabos on all his spinners. Was extremely impressed by them, cranked in big blackfins and kingfish everyday for a week under very tight drags or else the sharks would get

em.

I do agree that that the drag ratings are kinda pointless though, when are you ever going to use 50 lbs of drag on a spinning reel? And even if the reel can put out that much, it doesn't mean the rest of the components can handle it.

Edited by C.Robin

for what you are doing I would recommend the slammer or a Gosa... the new 14k Gosa should be sweet but a used 10k should get the job done with Most fish. the Spheros doesn't really have the drag for that type of fishing and you're gonna wear through the drag washers quick. the bg is a fine choice but even then if you spool it with 50 pound braid and you fish locked drag which can be necessary with big fish in inlets (like I did with mine) you're gonna eventually bend the main shaft. Since you're beach fishing you're probably gonna want something sealed, so the bg even loses a few points there. those fish will punish even the best reels, and a good drag is critical

I got no problem getting my parts for Cabo 120 even its discontinue.

C.Robin,

50lbs drag, no problem for both Cabo 100 & 120. Their compenents will hold lol......

We have taken a few school bluefin and  some sharks on my Boca 80’s.    Still going strong, got them on sale 2 for $185 a few years ago.   

This is a Porbeagle @250lbs we had him to the boat in 10 minutes.  

D8DED713-31F6-46DD-80EF-1282F4BF182C.png

5 hours ago, TheReelLuke said:

for what you are doing I would recommend the slammer or a Gosa... the new 14k Gosa should be sweet but a used 10k should get the job done with Most fish. the Spheros doesn't really have the drag for that type of fishing and you're gonna wear through the drag washers quick. the bg is a fine choice but even then if you spool it with 50 pound braid and you fish locked drag which can be necessary with big fish in inlets (like I did with mine) you're gonna eventually bend the main shaft. Since you're beach fishing you're probably gonna want something sealed, so the bg even loses a few points there. those fish will punish even the best reels, and a good drag is critical

I have also heard some good things about the Saragosa. I have been using my VR-200 but when free spooling/drifting plugs in the inlet, too much can go wrong between flipping the manual bail and the hookset.

3 mins ago, westhavendave said:

I have also heard some good things about the Saragosa. I have been using my VR-200 but when free spooling/drifting plugs in the inlet, too much can go wrong between flipping the manual bail and the hookset.

most reels in this size are going to be manual bail, including the Saragosa and the slammer sized 6500 or larger. I do not know about the boca