worldsworstangler

Handle down, spool out?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Saw a Bill Wetzel video on reels, and he mentioned a piece of info on spool position in relation to handle position. When the handle is down, the spool should be out, and handle up spool in. Okay that makes sense for casting purposes, but it doesn’t seem to work with my reel, even after adjustments. Does this only apply on specific reel types, or gear ratios?

22 mins ago, worldsworstangler said:

Saw a Bill Wetzel video on reels, and he mentioned a piece of info on spool position in relation to handle position. When the handle is down, the spool should be out, and handle up spool in. Okay that makes sense for casting purposes, but it doesn’t seem to work with my reel, even after adjustments. Does this only apply on specific reel types, or gear ratios?

Is the video your referencing the one about a Van Staal bailess. Is your reel that your trying this with a Van Staal?

my understanding is this mostly relates and is basically necessary with bailless VanStalls like said above, and probably most any reel where the spool is cupped inside the rotor where line roller is - penn 706's etc

spool up, outside of the cup reduces line friction on cast and doesnt snag on line roller

handle down before / during cast keeps it from rotating and moving the rotor + line roller during cast, because its already where it wants to be from gravity and forward / downward momentum of your cast

with bailless VS  you reset it that way before every cast

muscle memory becomes 2nd nature pretty quickly

even without a cupped rotor, it makes sense too, my Penn SSV bailless will rotate and occasionally snag the line on roller if you dont prestage it that way too

bailed reels with a decent brake that prevents the bail from tripping closed during cast its probably less important but i still do it anyway from habit

how to correct it if not already synched, im not sure?

maybe spool shim to change the oscillation or try and reset where the handle starts screwing in and ends up fully seated / screwed down

sure im missing a few key points, somebody that knows reels much better than i do im sure can answer for you

1 hour ago, GraniteStRockfish said:

my understanding is this mostly relates and is basically necessary with bailless VanStalls like said above, and probably most any reel where the spool is cupped inside the rotor where line roller is - penn 706's etc

spool up, outside of the cup reduces line friction on cast and doesnt snag on line roller

handle down before / during cast keeps it from rotating and moving the rotor + line roller during cast, because its already where it wants to be from gravity and forward / downward momentum of your cast

with bailless VS  you reset it that way before every cast

muscle memory becomes 2nd nature pretty quickly

even without a cupped rotor, it makes sense too, my Penn SSV bailless will rotate and occasionally snag the line on roller if you dont prestage it that way too

bailed reels with a decent brake that prevents the bail from tripping closed during cast its probably less important but i still do it anyway from habit

how to correct it if not already synched, im not sure?

maybe spool shim to change the oscillation or try and reset where the handle starts screwing in and ends up fully seated / screwed down

sure im missing a few key points, somebody that knows reels much better than i do im sure can answer for you

Carl, I recently found out after sending my VSX200 in for service that there are metal shims within the handle screw hole that Make a VS reel stop at the "spool out" position. The only reason I know this is that two round discs fell out of my handle shaft when I removed it to be shipped.  As to the original post, IDK whether other brand reels have a specific handle/spool position, it does not seem to be an issue with bailed reels for me. 

124049044_800778470490351_479238345157102550_n.jpg

Definitely vitally important on skirtless spooled reels, especially ones with anti-reverse back play. On the older penns this is accomplished by adding or subtracting washers from the handle. 

1 min ago, Domjolly said:

On the older penns this is accomplished by adding or subtracting washers from the handle. 

or changing the thickness of the existing washer

ZeeBaaS and early Van Staal had a set screw in the main gear shaft that could adjust the “timing” of the reel. VS later went to shims in the handle hub. 

When the spool is fully extended the (inside) bottom of the spool is slightly above the line roller as well. 

Edited by ged