Light vs. Tide

Rate this topic

WaterSchec

Hi Guys,

have you been more successful fishing at dawn/dusk in darker/changing light conditions or following the tides?

ive been doing mostly dawn and dusk in NJ and doing best when those match incoming tides

What is your experience? What tides do you like to fish best? This is my first full Fall / Winter / Spring fishing season here. 

The best advice I got from one of the experienced locals was to fish every time I have time to fish (which I like) but maybe we can get more precise!

Thanks all!

The locals comment reminds me of the old adage, “best 2 times to fish is when it’s raining and when it’s not raining”. 

I’m no master fisherman, but I think there are way to many factors to make a general statement, what works one day may not the next. Things to consider include species, time of year, topography, moon, tide, bait, presentation, temperature, the list goes on.

That said, I’d look at the time available to you and consider all those factors when forming a plan to catch a fish. If cloudy, dawn and dusk might be better because bait are silhouetted against sky. If full moon and clear dark may be better. If storm is coming in and pressure is changing during day that may be better. Is there bait running, how/when/where does that move? 

Do you love fishing or catching fish?

I get out on the water every chance I get. Even if I dont necessarily think its the magic hour I'll go see if I may be wrong. But I have no responsibilities other than me myself and I and live across the street from water.i love fishing, your mileage may vary.

(*member formerly known as 'Badtothebugs')

9 mins ago, Badtothebugs said:

Do you love fishing or catching fish?

:howdy:

For me

I love fishing and spending time by water.

Catching (any) fish comes as bonus.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

There are a ton of different factors time and tide are just 2. If this is your first season in NJ in the surf I would suggest that you take the locals advice. But I'll add that you should keep some sort of fishing log. 

Get to a point where you can look at the wind forecast, tide, and bait of any given night and make the best educated decision on where to cast. You will have spots that change year over year but it is the minute details that will help you put fish on the beach more consistently. 

2 hours ago, Stripernut1 said:

For me as a guide, the stage of tide dictates where I am fishing. Low light dictates when I will be fishing (depending on what I am fishing for)...

Guys, many years fishing for the striped ones......and all good points. I am of the adage the best time is fish when you can......you have to put the time in. That said,........ I really appreciate this thread and enjoy and agree with most all of the responses. But Stripernut1, you almost sound like a politician. Break it down for me.....and maybe others..........you only  have 4 hours in a given day to fish...... is the light more important or is the tide more important......you can not always have both. Thanks and tight lines to all.

When I was guiding the Merrimack, daily years ago I would fish the morning and the evening into the night, I guided every day, it did not matter what the tide was, I had to put my clients on fish. If I had to pick one it would be low light to dark. Many spots even on the best of tides will not produce well on a bright sunny day (yes, there are exceptions, but this is not the norm). Every spot has its best tide, you need to fish enough spots so you know where to fish no matter the tide. I am not saying it is easy, but the fish are someway and if they did not move then you need to work at getting them to eat when they are not that interested. I always hated a dead low slack tide, but I did find a few spots that would produce even then (if the light was low or dark).