jjdbike

What are your fave striper recipes?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I harvested one striper this year and want to make the most of it. I filleted, skinned, portioned it out, rinsed in salt water, cleaned it up (removed red meat, bones, bits of skin and membranes), vac packed and stored in deep freezer. It was a fat 37 1/2 so I have several portions. I saved the odds and ends (e.g. checks, belly, etc) for chowder.

Def want to do a chowder. 

Love bluefish w/ puttanesca and pasta, can that work w/ striper?

Any good baked striper recipes?

Thanks in advance.

JD 

We catch and release guys categorically deny every having tasted striper yet when pressed will insist that striper are foul tasting. :)

Edited by bass11

1 hour ago, bass11 said:

We catch and release guys categorically deny every having tasted striper yet when pressed will insist that striper are foul tasting. :)

Yes I knew I would get backlash.

Please  take note, this was and will be the only striper I harvest in several years. I love, value, respect and protect our invaluable resources.

I do remember that I enjoyed the taste of striper & I for better or worse, assume I’m not alone.

JD

No backlash as you love, value, respect and protect our invaluable resource.  As long as you're legal and have some respect for the resource, anyone who presumes to have the right to dictate what you should or should not do with YOUR fish is over stepping.  FWIW, Jacques Pepin sees striper as fit to grace his table.

14 mins ago, bass11 said:

No backlash as you love, value, respect and protect our invaluable resource.  As long as you're legal and have some respect for the resource, anyone who presumes to have the right to dictate what you should or should not do with YOUR fish is over stepping.  FWIW, Jacques Pepin sees striper as fit to grace his table.

Thanks bud. I’m such a fan of Pepin!

JD

Brush with evoo toss on grill " no effin foil" serve with warm garlic butter on top.

Same for weakfish & cocktail blues.

Off topic but blue crabs >

Clean live toss in disp. alum tray sprinkled with evoo & old bay.

Cook in closed grill.

Only a few crabs or softies omit tray.

Edited by SB59

Wow, one recipe...

I figured we'd share many recipes here. I suppose everyone C&R's exclusively(which I do most of the time) or just doesn't like their flavor.

Thanks anyway. 

JD

Lots of variables.  I suppose that the predominate American way is that if it doesn't taste spectacular fried in a cast iron skillet, then it ain't worth keeping.  The prevailing sentiment is that frying can even make an old leather boot sole taste good.  I guess the answer is to find an American that can cook.  It appears you wanna be that guy so good on ya'.  IMHO striper lends itself to a variety of cuisines.  French, Italian, Chinese and others.  Simple pan frying doesn't really bring out the best in striper. 

If I'm going to keep a fish, the first thing I do to respect the resource and preserve its culinary goodness is to bleed it,  The larger the fish the more important this step is.  This may sound a little crazy, but choose the size of the fish you want to keep.  The cuisine that graces you kitchen, the size of your family, etc. will play a part in your choice unless you have a mortally stricken fish which obviates that.  I find that there is very little difference in flavor between large and small striper if they've been properly bled.  The main difference will be in the texture and grain of the flakes.  My preference is to let all big fish go.  Those barely legal 18.25" fish (legal on the west coast) are a much more consumer friendly package.  I call 'em steamers.  They are excellent when steamed and prepared Chinese style.  If you have a family and like to grill outdoors, then maybe a 5-7 pounder would be a good choice.  If you have the misfortune of having to keep a larger mortally stricken fish, the coarser grainier textured flesh makes a wonderfully flavored mousse.  Good to see that you think of fish in terms of parts and not wasting the resource.  Fish are more than just steaks and fillets.  Take the belly strips on that 37.5" fish you kept.  It's probably the least healthy part of the fish yet one of the tastiest and easily prepared part of the fish.  Get that good old American cast iron skillet to 450 degrees or a little better.  Salt and pepper are all you need.  If your cast iron skillet is well seasoned, you don't even need to grease the pan.  A healthy 37.5" fish should have a good deal of interior fat.  Place those strips interior side down until the fat forms a light golden crust.  Flip and cook through.  No more.  Don't overcook.  That same cut of fish if steamed is disgusting, but fixed this way will melt in your mouth like bone marrow or suet.

A side of beef has many different cuts.  While not as many, the same applies to a fish.  Where many are wasteful, I like where you are going as a responsible fisherman. 

One of my favorite recipes is gently sauteed striper over a bed of wilted leeks with a chanterelle cream sauce.  Soliciting recipes from those of unknown "chefability" is one avenue, but perhaps you may be better served by focusing on cuisine and technique.  After all, no one knows your taste buds more than you.  Enjoy the journey.

Happy cooking!

Edited by bass11
spelling

3 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Wow, one recipe...

I figured we'd share many recipes here. I suppose everyone C&R's exclusively(which I do most of the time) or just doesn't like their flavor.

Thanks anyway. 

JD

On this site a lot won't admit they eat  striper. As for me I'm older & I think I'm the reason there are now catch limits on everything & no commercial fishery for bass in NJ. 

You guy's should thank me for perpetuating the species.:laugh:

Everything is better done simple & grilled.

I've eaten a good amount of bass.  None of it was outstanding, some of it was good, and most of it was just meh.  I found it doesn't freeze well, but if you must freeze its just edible.  Quality of your fish will depend on how you handled it and cut it and comes down to the fish itself.  I tend to remove the dark meat to rid of the bait fish funk smell it can have that is also greatly amplified after freezing and thawing, but that is up to you. A good baked bass recipe is pretty simple.  Salt the bass liberally with Kosher salt, oil a pyrex or baking dish, lay the fish inside and put a pat of butter on each piece. Sprinkle it with your favorite salsa and cook it well.  

What a bunch of high faluting "chefs" here turning their noses up at stripers and looking down at anyone who would eat one. Not to mention attempt to shame someone for taking a fish legally. 

You guys make me laugh with all of your attempts to make something taste like something else. If you dont like the taste of something, dont eat it. Or go ahead and doctor it up to taste like something else. But dont run down a fish or meat because it doesn't meet your standards. What the hell is wrong with something tasting like it is?? You're all so soft and squishy, and have this need drummed into you by outside sources that everything should just taste amazing, or it's no good. Bullcrap. I'm a carnivore, hunter and farmer. I eat what I kill, catch, grow, or trade/barter for. My friends raise goats, sheep, beef cattle, chickens, turkeys, and all sorts of other animals. I do work on their barns and fences, and even help birth some of their stock. They in turn give me meat, eggs, and milk. 

I like the taste of goat, lamb, as well as the usual. I dont need to doctor things up so much so it's "palatable". Moose, venison, elk, duck,... wild killed all taste great to me just as is with a little salt and pepper and few other things.

You all, it seems to me, have lost the "flavor" for real game meat. Eww it's too greasy, too gamey, etc. You all want things to taste like your favorite ever meal. That's a fools errand. All ya need is a well prepared piece of meat, salt and pepper, and a bottle of red or white wine to make any piece of animal flesh just right. 

Or, just a hot grill and some beer. 

Bleed any fish or mammal asap after catching/killing it. Keep it as cold as you can and cook it. Enjoy it for what it is, and most importantly, thank that animal for giving its life for your sustenance. 

Or shut the **** up and go to a restaurant . Oh wait, the all knowing govt. says you cant, for your own good. Okay

JJ, my fav striper recipe is simple. Take a box of Kelloggs corn flakes, crush them in your hands into a paper bag with a little flour and pepper. Dip the filets in an egg wash and drop into the paper bag and shake to coat. Then pan fry . Perfect on it's own. But I like a little hot, so wasabi is good.

6 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

You all want things to taste like your favorite ever meal.

I mean i try hard to make the food we eat not taste like cat food but that's just me being soft and squishy i guess.