Skunkoff

Salmon/steelhead/trout rod

30 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on a good salmon/steelhead/trout rod that's under $100.  This will be used from shore for long casting lighter tackle (1/8 - 1/2 oz).  I won't be using this in creeks or tight spots.  

Or maybe doesn't need to be dedicated to salmonids, but something with similar lengths, powers and actions.

Thanks!

I have a Wright and McGill rod I bought online somewhere.... Anyway, it's the 9ft drifter model and it is great for throwing a float with a marabou or a egg. Very sensitive and has a nice noodley action for playing the fish.

1 hour ago, Skunkoff said:

So far the Okuma and Ugly Stik are on top of the list.  I need to go somewhere to cop a feel.

If you are deciding between the 2 go with the Okuma, little bit more money but 3x the quality of an ugly stick. Another decent alternative to look at is some of the Daiwa salmon steelhead rods. The Daiwa acculite series has a more traditional moderate action  while the north coast series has a fast action with more backbone to it. The only downside  to the north coast I have found after 2 years of use, is that the handle is some sort of dense foam with a thin cork laminate on it. With the heavy use I have put it thru, the cork was wearing off in places. This in no way affected the functionality, only the aesthetics. I solved this by covering my handles with xwrap shrinktubing. 

Thanks!!  A super quick lookup showed that most of the Daiwa Acculites are slow action.  I could be wrong.  I'm looking more into the moderate (moderate fast if the rod is super long) action.

LMF or MLM is what I'm thinking.  Anywhere from 8.5' to 9.5'.

Edited by Skunkoff

Skunkoff, take a ride to your local Dicks Sporting Goods and take a feel of the previously mentioned Lamiglas X11. I forgot about that rod. For $99 it was a decent rod. Hopefully you're local store has them in stock. Good luck. 

I actually went to Dick's today.  They had nothing close to what I was looking for.  KTP, same thing.  There is another Dick's in the opposite direction I need to check, as well as Cabela's.  Still on the search.

Are you looking for a fly rod, pin rod or spinning? Having fished steelhead almost 40 yrs, feel and action are very important. I do not buy high end, What are you areas to be fished?

I'm looking for spinning.  Will be used from shore, docks, etc for trout and landlocked mainly.  I too want to stick to a minimal budget.  Something I can cast light tackle far out.  I might have to go a little more for the reel since I would like a wider spool with slower ocillation.