Newbie Knife ????

Rate this topic

PeteA

There's a lot to consider for a good fillet knife, and most of the time you can find them on a budget. $30 for a fillet knife isn't really that bad of a budget as long as you know what to look for. 

The key features you really need to consider are the blade material, length, and handle / grip. A good sheath is always a plus, it's good to go with a sheath that drains water instead of holds it so you don't get surface rust. Most of the super cheap sheaths are nylon, and I would avoid these because they tend to hold water. 

As far as blade material goes, you want something that is corrosion resistant but also holds a good edge. Stainless steel and German steels are both really popular but more recently I've seen VG10 fillet knives which can be more expensive but well worth the money. 

The best fillet knife length is generally about 7 inches for most fish, if you go too much bigger then you get a wider knife which also has a thicker base which can make it more difficult to take the skin off average sized fish. 

The handle / grip is easy to overlook but a comfort fit grip will help you for the long haul and in my opinion they are much safer so you don't accidentally cut yourself.

Anyway - most of this information I got from this article which really goes into depth on fish fillet knives: *

Edited by TimS
Please don’t post commercial links here, we don’t allow them. Thanks.

Another vote for H1. I’ve got some in plain and serrated. The serrated edge seems to hold an edge longer and can still be useful when dull because they can still tear through things. 

With any of the knives, you should get something to sharpen them with. Even though the plain edge H1 doesn’t hold an edge super long it is really easy to touch up and get back to shaving sharp. Sticking with Spyderco... they have their sharpmaker for sharpening that makes it easy to keep a certain angle for your edge. The rods also have angles and can be used to sharpen the serrations. 

23 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Hey butch, thanks bud!

Will you please share how you carry those on your surf belt?

JD

Jim.... I only use the black Pacific Salt for surf fishing.. I wear a fishing vest, and put it in a pocket... I tie a leash thru the handle and to a d-ring inside the pocket to prevent loss... Nothing special.. Sorry about the late reply, but my darn iPad keeps erasing my reply every time I try to respond... It must not like you.:why:

Butch

My default bang-around or lanyard-to-vest knife is a CRKT K.I.S.S. Cheap, tough, corrosion resistant, and since it's basically made with two parts, a rinse in hot water and a spritz of WD40 fully cleans it anyway. It's a folder that doesn't pop open on accident, but is trivially easy to open and close, even with dead fingers. I might get another one and rework the tip to a safer rescue profile, since they are all of $30. Blade length is hassle free in pretty much every US jurisdiction.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

On 12/4/2020 at 6:03 PM, Midnightpass said:

Jim.... I only use the black Pacific Salt for surf fishing.. I wear a fishing vest, and put it in a pocket... I tie a leash thru the handle and to a d-ring inside the pocket to prevent loss... Nothing special.. Sorry about the late reply, but my darn iPad keeps erasing my reply every time I try to respond... It must not like you.:why:

Butch

Thank Bud,

All good, I don't like iPads either :)

JD

Still carry carry a knife sometimes but have been super impressed by this dive line cutter.

xr-415777_1.jpg.43df4a137dd95634d721cac645f9878f.jpg

Slices through any line and rope up to about 1/2" diameter like butter.   Only needed it once in a popular bucket brigade boulder field but use it all the time freediving when I come across lures and jigs.  IMO far more efficient and safer. 

Edited by Bait Tailer

8 mins ago, Bait Tailer said:

Still carry carry a knife sometimes but have been super impressed by this dive line cutter.

xr-415777_1.jpg.43df4a137dd95634d721cac645f9878f.jpg

Slices through any line and rope up to about 1/2" diameter like butter.   Only needed it once in a popular bucket brigade boulder field but use it all the time freediving when I come across lures and jigs.  IMO far more efficient and safer. 

Great suggestion, could definitely see this being a better idea in an emergency. I'll probably pick one up, I don't kill bass anymore so I really have no need for a knife while surf fishing.

On 12/2/2020 at 6:51 PM, Haycreekrambler said:

4" rapala fillet knife is what I've carried on my belt for a long time. 20201202_184236.jpg.a2ed7fbe657a4fd153098a56cf49501b.jpgthere cheap and don't rust. The sheath is super easy to make and the knife will never come out even if you end up rolling around in the surf. I'll gladly explain its construction if you like. I own several dive/white water kayak knives and found this fits my needs better.

Is that just webbing folded back on itself or was there more to it. Some of my homemade sheaths for a mora or dexter net knife had a bit to be desired.   

45 mins ago, derekh said:

Is that just webbing folded back on itself or was there more to it. Some of my homemade sheaths for a mora or dexter net knife had a bit to be desired.   

Its 2" webbing and there's a thin plastic liner inside. I would use large yogurt containers or milk jug plastic. What makes that one work so well. Is diameter of that small fillet knife fits super snug inside of the webbing. But, it can still be easily removed and put back in the sheath. 

Back when I used to occasionally take a bass for the table. I would use that knife to bleed the fish. Anymore it's just there for some sort of emergency. Plus you never know what your gonna come upon in the middle of the nite.

6 mins ago, Haycreekrambler said:

Its 2" webbing and there's a thin plastic liner inside. I would use large yogurt containers or milk jug plastic. What makes that one work so well. Is diameter of that small fillet knife fits super snug inside of the webbing. But, it can still be easily removed and put back in the sheath. 

Back when I used to occasionally take a bass for the table. I would use that knife to bleed the fish. Anymore it's just there for some sort of emergency. Plus you never know what your gonna come upon in the middle of the nite.

Thank you

19 hours ago, C.Robin said:

Great suggestion, could definitely see this being a better idea in an emergency. I'll probably pick one up, I don't kill bass anymore so I really have no need for a knife while surf fishing.

Looks like there a re a lot more brands and styles available now.  I got the mares basic double sided ceramic but might spring for another with serrated titanium and folding wing.  The mares pouch is a great design easy to pull from velcro loop which makes a good handle but always forget it's on my belt.