Wheeler

Bait rod recommendation - "light heaver"

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Went fishing in NJ last weekend. Motel had an underpass you had to use to exit. Drove under it at 5:30am with rods in the racks and broke 2 of them. Great way to start the day. :banghd:

Anyway, I'm now in the market for a new "light heaver".

I have an 11' Tica Dolphin XH rod that is my "heavy heaver". Thing is a telephone pole. It's perfect for an 8oz sputnik and head in the nastiest of conditions, but it needs at least 6oz to even begin to load. I would consider the sweet spot for this rod to be 7-10oz + bait. I also have a 10' Daiwa rod. It's rated 3-8oz, but with bait, its sweet spot is really 2-4oz. You have to lob anything over that. I am looking for a rod that falls in between these two. Something which truly has a sweet spot in the 4-7oz range for bait fishing. Oh yeah, and I don't like to spend a lot on rods (see story above), so my budget is around $200ish.

Thanks! :howdy:

If you can find something on a 

Rainshadow 1418 blank, look into it. (11’9”) Sweet spot is 5-6, but can handle 7 & 8’s. And it can cast. I fish it with 5 if it will hold. 

Edited by Catskill John

tommy farmer / CPS 12' 3-7oz  that is the closest thing to a 1418 i have seen lately, to follow john's post

century has a few too... but it can get $

to me light heaver is 5-6oz and bait.....

I have a century 13' M2 i think is the name... use it for stripers (so not much anymore). it throws a chunk and 6oz well

I have a tommy farmer / CPS 13' 3-6, love that rod, has a flexible tip section, that i can see kingfish or even spot on, i throw 5oz with it, over the bar... use it for stripers/fleas for distance with a 6500.  I caught a +40" drum on it with a size 1/0 hook a few years ago... that was FUN

I have a tommy / CPS 11' 2-5oz for bait too, but i don't consider that a 'light heaver'

..all are conv

Edited by luckyOC

56 mins ago, luckyOC said:

tommy farmer / CPS 12' 3-7oz  that is the closest thing to a 1418 i have seen lately, to follow john’s post

Thanks guys! 20% off until tomorrow puts it in my range at $232. 

13 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Don't think you can go wrong with that CCP rod  .    What reel are you thinking?  

A spinner :ducks:  Probably my Penn Conflict 5000 or 6000.

I tried conventionals a few years ago, but they didnt stick.