Sudsy

Fishing reports for December 2020

Rate this topic

1,076 posts in this topic

Original plan was to head down to OC and get one last use of my annual beach pass but I slept in by accident, set the alarm for PM instead of AM :banghd:. So kept it local in NoMoCo this afternoon despite my beach being infiltrated by “surfers” floating around like a bunch of ducks — and of course they were in two of my more productive holes. Gave it a solid 3 hours, covered ground, threw the bag, not even a tap. Passed a few other guys on my journey but didn’t see any action. Just one of those days. Back at it Tuesday morning. 

10 hours ago, jpiercy13 said:

Can I watch you head butt a brick wall after I'm done fishing with that many people?

I started at the end of them and walked 300yrds south of them all by myself catching fish the whole way.

This morning pre-dawn, moco. Good conditions- light west wind (turned north at dawn) some waist high waves, but very high tide- crazy shore break in the dark. Some bait scattered on the beach- not sure what since I couldn’t see. Clear water. And a short on the teaser. 

Probably more fish there... but I was having one of those morning, dropping lures in the wash, knots and messes with leader /swivel, a monster backlash.. errr spend more time dealing with my line in the dark then getting my line wet! 

Edited by Mr.Belmar

54 mins ago, JerseyMike609 said:

I started at the end of them and walked 300yrds south of them all by myself catching fish the whole way.

I would say the etiquette there is pretty good.   Don´t see mugging that I do in other places where people sit up on boards watching with binocs.

11 hours ago, bbfish said:

Man I would rather head butt a brick wall for 45 minutes then fish with that many people.

A lot of report chasers. Drive 10 - 15 minutes north hardly anyone fishing. 

1 hr MoCo, predawn. End of incoming into the flip. Flat ocean but good surf action, water clear and clean, little NNE wind. Nice morning. Fish were chewing early thankfully. Lost 1 in the dark at the  lip waiting for a good wave to help me push it onto the sand, but it came unbuttoned. Steady pick up and down. Grabbed a plump 26” and lost another. Maybe 10 fellows while I was there. So I went .333, 1-3 this AM. Apparently after I left the bite picked up....of course. Might head out at lunch or this PM. Gotta get it in before Thursday.

027D1A4E-C12A-4745-A0F7-22A2BBE95E12.jpeg

Edited by DeeMonee

1 hour ago, unclemikenj said:

MOCO
The blind dog found the bones this morning.

Was only going to check conditions before grabbing a coffee before work.

Decided to grab my rod and at the last second before walking to the sand I grabbed the last new old stock sandeel I own (wait for it)...

Get the sand. No tackle bag.  No waders.  Rigged with a teaser and a small metal jetty ghost I really like plus one sandeel in my pocket.

No birds, no bait observed, no busts or boils.

Windless.

Calm flat water.

Toss a few as I reflected on what a strange season its been and WHACK.  I rear back on this hit like a tarpon and my rod doubles over like I am snagged.  I reel down and pull and all that happens is drag sings.  No move, no turn.  I am thinking nice fish.  And then, less nice fish.  And finally, kinda smallish fish comes sliding onto the sand.  And then I see that she is on the teaser and the rest of my leader is broken off at the dropper knot.  My best guess is that I had a double and they weren't cooperating when they grabbed my offerings.  

So now I have 6 inches of mono below my braid to a teaser.  Nothing left to do here so I cut the teaser off and tie direct to the ole' pocket sandeel.  Here I am standing with an effectively 4 inch leader in wet sneakers and waterlogged up to my knees.  I am the googan show.

Here is the rub. I now proceed with just that spark of hope and confidence that November had effectively erased and I start picking fish.  Truth be told I did better this morning that all of of November combined.

Tally:  landed 15, dropped 6 and presume to have broken one off.

Bonus round: only one fish was micro... most were mid to high 20s and fat as one could hope for.

Lesson:  when one has only a single sandeel and no leader, one learns to focus... I fished that eel until is was literally blown to pieces, lead out, spinning like a boat prop.  I just kept slowing my retrieve to try and limit the spin and the fish ate it until on the last cast the last bits of rubber came popping off.

This was my epic morning.  I hope others found it too but I am so grateful to have had this day.

Stay safe, keep at it... when you least expect it.  

PXL_20201214_125550829.MP.jpg

PXL_20201214_131515635.MP.jpg

PXL_20201214_125823388.MP.jpg

PXL_20201214_124552838.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20201214_132257558.PORTRAIT.jpg

Good for you. Once these critters get on a specific lure, they often love it to death. 

At the ocean in a NJ county, first light through 10 am.

Nothing in semi- darkness.

Daytime came, see almost everybody on each side of me, spread out, catching.  Not me.

Fisherman next to me catching on every cast, including a double header.  He was nice enough to invite me over as he saw I wasn't catching.  Offered me a teaser that matched better what he was using vs mine.  Plenty of bumps, no takers.  Thanks for the gentlemanliness and friendliness.

Everybody moved on, I stayed.  Finally hooked into a nice fat 25"-er on an Al Gag's Whip-It fish.

Took off my winter hat and put on sand at top of drop off to lay reel in to take a picture.  Of course, the only wave of the morning to rise that high washed sand and water into it so I couldn't wear it.  Oh well.

2BAC45CA-3895-49EC-911A-748E4064FA17.jpeg

Just one of those snake bit mornings for me.  Made the long drive thinking it would be my best shot at some nicer fish.  There were fish being caught but they sure didn't like what I was offering.  Did finally put one small one on the sand along with a big hickory and had one other on for a couple of seconds.  From what I've been told I should have stayed close to home.  Will give that long drive a rest for awhile and see what I can find closer to home.