Sudsy

Fishing reports for December 2020

Rate this topic

1,076 posts in this topic

42 mins ago, MC55 said:

Started in that other county this morning just not as far south.  Picket fence of guys out throwing but not very many bent rods.  I only managed one on a white Vision I still have.  Left there and went closer to home where there was not as much participation.  Was told there was a lot of action early, of course.  Decided to give it a try for a short while and did find one more before calling it a morning.  Most likely will give the home waters a go in the morning.  Monday is looking like the next prime opportunity with a NNE wind forecast.

DSCF3367.JPG

DSCF3370.JPG

Looks like a nor'easter on Wednesday (rain/snow) with bottom dropping out after that. 

14 mins ago, nam1969 said:

Is that the six inch or 9? I threw the 6 inch in several locations without a touch. 

Yeah the larger, of the  two.  Actually destroyed two of them,  getting feisty

I was throwing a 5 inch fly at the start without a touch.  

Out front in moco this morning from about 6am to 10am. Very calm with just a bit of a breeze out of the south and overcast.. Diving birds were around the whole time.  I stayed away from the popular spot, but it must have been producing because i saw a few guys land fish and the crowd stayed for a while.  After sunrise I snagged a dogfish that someone had setup with hooks as bait, a schoolie striper on a white paddletail and a big ol shad on a red/white teaser.....this is my first year at it and I'm having a blast. After I caught the striper I got mugged pretty bad....guy walked over and cast right in front of me before I had the fish off the hook....so goes life. Fish seem to still be around. Hope we all get a few more weeks before they move on!

Edited by Dhirsch
Added more info

Just about to leave for trip home at noon and a school blows by with birds in the wash....Had binocs and saw a bass come outta the water

ran back to get rod and chased in civilian clothes but no luck:mad:

100s of birds in water and on beach and fresh bunker sitting around

with no one interested (!)

Went straight in front of my house hour before low caught on first cast and pretty much every other for a couple of hours; more than a couple of dozen bass, some better ones and a few double headers; shad mixed in. Wind came around ESE had to hustle off the outer bar before i got knocked off my feet. Attracted a bit too much attention and a few guys squeezed in, appreciated that they left me some space - that doesn’t always happen

checking out the other county later

change of plans just got the word sister in law coming over, heading back out- pretty foggy out now

Edited by suntzu

I don’t really take pictures of fish but my buddy wanted one of his.  Never get tired of these stripes.  Making plugs over the weekend to avoid crowds, back out after the muggers go back to their 9-5s

CEB2BB19-C2BC-48CA-B352-2EFC879C5834.jpeg

Edited by Bluetaildragger

The needle fish plug worked great this morning... the larger sized plugs produced better strikes and larger fish but not as many fish to the sand. OC 12 fish total 2 were keepers... let them go to grow! 

FB831DC8-4E29-4D78-9731-5C40B3028B44.png

4 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Gotta say that this is kinda bogus..... The pressure change you see with high and low pressure systems moving is negligible compared to moving even a foot deeper in the water column.  By this logic, you’d never be able to jig striper down deep because the change in water pressure with depth, which is extreme compared to what we experience, would “make it uncomfortable” in the words of the guy you quoted.  

Water is 800 times more dense than air, and a change of a couple inches of depth is going to be a greater change in pressure than anything caused by any storm above water.  Changes in pressure and weather affect the bite but not in the way you’re saying 

This is an explanation of the effects on fish by barometric pressure not a comparison of change fish experience descending into deeper water as this constant. Weather is constantly changing so this was explaining how weather effects the fish. This seemed to to give you your answer.

"Barometric pressure, or the measurement of the weight of air, affects fish in shallow water more than fish in deep water, according to the outdoor website trails.com. "

You're right, sounds good but its not relevant to this explanation of pressure caused by weather which will affect shore bound fishermen or flats fishing.

1 hour ago, Bluetaildragger said:

I don’t really take pictures of fish but my buddy wanted one of his.  Never get tired of these stripes.  Making plugs over the weekend to avoid crowds, back out after the muggers go back to their 9-5s

CEB2BB19-C2BC-48CA-B352-2EFC879C5834.jpeg

How dare guys that work all week come down shore to fish. Funny how everybody who reports on here is not a mugger

31 mins ago, Potato Caboose said:

How dare guys that work all week come down shore to fish. Funny how everybody who reports on here is not a mugger

Didn’t mean to chap your cheeks.  Just saying I avoid weekends to avoid crowds, nothing against people who work.  In fact, I desperately wish I had my job back! 

Darn! I packed my gear away today. Worse year I can remember. I saw  a lot of bait outside casting range, seals ,whales, and dolphins.I caught about 7 small bass. I never saw bait in close. I didn't see any signs of a fish chasing bait (I did see what I thought was probably a sundial in the wash).I don't fish as much as I used to but I think I fish enough to give a good opinion on what's down my area.This year like every year imho  island beach sp have their fish.Somehow they skip most of somco for the most part but this year was extra bad as far as surf fishing . That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

2 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Didn’t mean to chap your cheeks.  Just saying I avoid weekends to avoid crowds, nothing against people who work.  In fact, I desperately wish I had my job back! 

Don’t bother me but u took cheap shot at guys that come down to fish on weekends. Deal with the guys that are learning. Not all experts like u