Sudsy

Fishing reports for December 2020

Rate this topic

1,076 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, unclemikenj said:

MOCO

Lazy and foolish I am.  Stayed local and it was dead as a door nail except for Shadfest 2020.

Water is dead calm and clear.

Literally windless.

No sun rise / chrome skies.

It was actually warm.  wished i had less layer than i did.

no gloves required.

Sandeels were dimpling the surface.  No birds. No fish (except shad).

Loons were having a field day.

Big lazy oil slicks of bunker rolling just out of casting reach.

the beach smelled fishy... i am guessing someone is going to score today.

I was planning to drive south this am and skipped it.  I cant wait for the reports to see who found them... i hope lots of folks find more joy than me.

Sun appeared and then disappeared into the grey.  Tried to snap a pix of one of the pods not sure if it reads that way.  you can see its a lake today.

good luck. stay safe.

PXL_20201212_123709874.MP.jpg

PXL_20201212_121129575.MP.jpg

I went south.  Before sunup. Lots of boots on the sand.  Just a few shad for me. I didnt see any stripes on the sand either.  

15 hours ago, saltyh2ofly said:

Hope this short read helps, right on about tge low....

Just Ask Us: Does barometric pressure affect the behavior of fish?
  • By DEVIN ROSE 

Q:Does barometric pressure affect the behavior of fish?

A: Yes. As a general rule, fish are more likely to bite during cool weather when the pressure is falling and less likely to bite under bright skies when the pressure is rising, said Kurt Welke, a fish biologist with the state Department of Natural Resources.

Barometric pressure, or the measurement of the weight of air, affects fish in shallow water more than fish in deep water, according to the outdoor website trails.com. A fish's swim bladder controls its equilibrium, and when the pressure is high the swim bladder compresses and the fish loses its sense of balance. It's believed that fish feel uncomfortable when this happens and are less likely to feed, the website said.

Fish are usually seeking cover or moving into deeper waters during high pressure conditions. Before and after a storm, the pressure is lower and fish tend to be more aggressive in their feeding habits. They may also be more active as pressure begins to rise after low-pressure systems linger for a few days. Fish tend to bite best during stable weather periods when barometer readings are between 29.90 and 30.05. In this range, they are most comfortable and actively feeding, the website said.

Gotta say that this is kinda bogus..... The pressure change you see with high and low pressure systems moving is negligible compared to moving even a foot deeper in the water column.  By this logic, you’d never be able to jig striper down deep because the change in water pressure with depth, which is extreme compared to what we experience, would “make it uncomfortable” in the words of the guy you quoted.  

Water is 800 times more dense than air, and a change of a couple inches of depth is going to be a greater change in pressure than anything caused by any storm above water.  Changes in pressure and weather affect the bite but not in the way you’re saying 

report: yesterday OC, few fat fish mid morning.  Metals and rubber fished slow, fish hit close to the lip.  Some jabroni comes and stands less than a rod length away, some guys just don't get it.  Give em the old stare and head shake

Edited by Bluetaildragger

OC. Dead in the dark then like a light switch, a flurry of fish as the sun came up.  Lots of keepers kept by fisherfolk around me. Had about 13 or so between me and 2 buddies. Mostly outside the last sand bar. Boats that were in close were jigging them up real good.  Most fish in the 25-28 inch range. Fun morning besides the guys crossing your line every other cast. 

First time out in about 3 weeks due to work and family obligations.  Hit a stretch of beach in northern OC with my buddy and his 6-yr-old son from 7-9am.  Great weather with overcast skies and it felt fishy, but my skunk streak continues.  No signs of life other than some birds diving here and there and a seal that popped up for a minute about 1.5 hrs into our session.  Threw hogys with teasers, small bucktails, swimmers, poppers, and rubber worms.  Not a touch.  Saw 1 guy about 50 yards to the north of us catch what looked like a small striper.  Others to the north and south looked to be doing poorly as well.

Fished MOCO this morning.. Plan A... Spot was crowded.. Looked like a conga line on a cruise ship...decided to pass on that:squid:.. Saw a  few guys who are reading this now there.. Headed a little further south in MOCO.  P -nuts and sand eels around.  Picked up 3 shad and a 25 in. Bass.  Moved back a bit north of the conga line and had a similar sized bass absolutely crush an Ava..not the usual pick up off the bottom.. .. That was it.. 

Went further south today. Predawn, 3hrs, beginning of outgoing, flat ocean, clear clean water, little surf. The boot brigade was in full force. Everyone behaved though. There were pockets of activity all morning. You can tell when the school went through. Finally shook off the skunk and picked 2 24” and 26”.  Worked hard for them. Apparently I missed the bite by a day. Spoke with a few guys and they had a field day yesterday. Nice to see a couple young kids there that knew how to handle the fish. They quickly took their pics and gently put them back and made sure they were swimming. One of them landed a 36”.

D7DC8665-8E5F-4381-BF81-2D155E5BC1ED.jpeg

Edited by DeeMonee

Started in that other county this morning just not as far south.  Picket fence of guys out throwing but not very many bent rods.  I only managed one on a white Vision I still have.  Left there and went closer to home where there was not as much participation.  Was told there was a lot of action early, of course.  Decided to give it a try for a short while and did find one more before calling it a morning.  Most likely will give the home waters a go in the morning.  Monday is looking like the next prime opportunity with a NNE wind forecast.

DSCF3367.JPG

DSCF3370.JPG

Got up a little later than I wanted. Decided to head south. Made sure I had my passport, but skirted the checkpoint by a little used road. On the beach at 6:30 and hooked up by 6:31! First cast curse reared its ugly head. Decent fish that hit at the end of the cast. Two cranks and drops and he hit. AVA 17 with green rubber and a teaser. Have no idea which he hit because he came unbuttoned after two runs. That was it for me. Tried a couple of other spots without even a touch. Bait was right up to the lip. Sandeels and peanuts. Talked to several guys and only two small bass landed, along with quite a few shad. 

As far as guys mugging you, I found the solution years ago. Throw the a,,,hole into the water and yell "They still haven't found the guy from yesterday!" Make sure you follow it with a maniacal laugh and crazed eye look! The rest of them will give you a lot of distance. 

'

OC. Covered some ground this morning but it paid off.   One of the many things I learned here is move if there is no activity.  
Ended up catching 15+, for me that’s great.  All between 24-27, but some fought like like champs

all on Tsunami sand eel,  north side of a sand bar, let it sink for 5 seconds with a slow retrieve 

this one looks like a torpedo, others were fatter 

94103A12-0B7D-43D3-8F86-E24065C70277.jpeg

18 mins ago, Birdsnest said:

OC. Covered some ground this morning but it paid off.   One of the many things I learned here is move if there is no activity.  
Ended up catching 15+, for me that’s great.  All between 24-27, but some fought like like champs

all on Tsunami sand eel,  north side of a sand bar, let it sink for 5 seconds with a slow retrieve 

this one looks like a torpedo, others were fatter 

94103A12-0B7D-43D3-8F86-E24065C70277.jpeg

Is that the six inch or 9? I threw the 6 inch in several locations without a touch.