Sudsy

Fishing reports for December 2020

Rate this topic

1,076 posts in this topic

14 mins ago, Goldy said:

Speaking of bait.  Sand eels. Peanuts and i think bay anchovy.   Lots and lots of peanuts 

no bass

99BD30BE-E817-4DBF-9A06-94F4FBAAF007.jpeg

Last fall around this time when I was fishing nomoco and the predominant bait was sandeels..or so I thought. Everything was quiet when out of nowhere the water was boiling everywhere. Threw everything I had at them with only one hookup and then it popped off. Lasted about 15 minutes. The fish were super picky and it was very frustrating. When it was all over I walked the beach and found some of that micro bait washed up just like whats in your hand. 

17 mins ago, Goldy said:

Speaking of bait.  Sand eels. Peanuts and i think bay anchovy.   Lots and lots of peanuts 

no bass

99BD30BE-E817-4DBF-9A06-94F4FBAAF007.jpeg

Literally was going to ask if that was possible because I saw sand eels and peanuts today in close. Fish occasionally busting through them, but they were very picky. And they would move out and come back for about 45 minutes. Like a lake again too, but water was clean. Great fly conditions. They are getting fat!

FD5F3282-4933-4FA5-A527-AC41E905FEDE.jpeg

5 hours ago, Sam3631 said:

I'm interested in learning about how the colors give a clue as to whether the fish is a local or migratory one.  Can you explain? I'm asking this nicely, not with bad intent.

The local fish are usually hanging around the rock piles ore up in the rivers and bays. They get darker colors to match into their surroundings. The migratory fish are fresh from the ocean and very silvery. . Often times the fresh migratory fish will also have many sea lice on them.

Edited by JimK

1 hour ago, Duck said:

Didn’t fish today, but also found some bay anchovies washed up while walking my dog in NoMoCo. 

I hope someone is catching in NoMoCo, worst fall I can remember.

went out this morning before the zoom work meeting at 8. Fished a solid 3 hours through the sun rise. Pretty morning, went further south then i usually do hoping a change in in catch rate. 

Didn't help, went home after 3 hours of fly casting practice with no hook ups. 

Well they sent me home early for work today which is a first, I had 1.5 hours before dark when I hit the beach. A couple hundred guys spread out and no bent rods. Skunk so Sunday is my only daytime window. Hoping the wind Saturday doesn’t ruin the water again.   Definitely my worst season unfortunately. 

OC 11-4:30pm. Covered a lot of beach at two different spots. Started out with just a few offerings in my jacket pockets, no surf bag. Problem with that was that I also left my outer belt in the car with my surf bag. So, wading out to the bar + not a true surf top + no outer belt+ water nipple high = swamp chest. (Not too bad though. I bailed on that plan fast.)

Nothing for hours. Threw all the usual offerings for Fall, etc. Small sand eel teaser.  Covered the profiles with the main offering. Covered the dark vs light,  red/green, slow & fast retrieve. Twitch. No twitch. Smelly jelly. None. Fished long casts with metal, lots of shorter casts parallel to the beach targeting the wash & lip area. Not a tap. 

Finally, saw some swirls of sand at the lip. Pretty sure it was schoolie behavior. So, I literally said out loud to myself, “wonderbread mag darter can raise a schoolie bite.”

First cast, twitch pause twitch pause, bang. Fish on. Right at the lip. Didn’t measure but about 4” short of the 28” line on my rod so roughly 24”. Happy I decided to forget the usuals for a moment & it paid off. (Still, certainly Nothing to write home about. )

That was it. Nothing for 3+ hours and then nothing again after. Seemed ready to pop off and never did. Shortly after, guy landed another short and that was the only other striper I saw landed the entire time I was out today & yesterday. 

Hit OC with my two oldest kids and a friend. Fished from about 3-5:30, with my 11-year old picking up the only fish, about 24". AVA a12 with a teaser. Saw one other guy working three rods who landed a couple fish while we were there. Otherwise, saw lots of guys fishing with their head on a swivel to see if anyone else was having more success than they were.

If you were near me around 3 PM, I was the guy trying to rig up a rod when my daughter caught the fish. I didn't yet have waders on so you might have seen me ditching my shoes and socks to help land, and then release the fish. Thankfully it was warm while the sun was out.

IMG_20201210_150959.jpg

37 mins ago, RussB said:

Hit OC with my two oldest kids and a friend. Fished from about 3-5:30, with my 11-year old picking up the only fish, about 24". AVA a12 with a teaser. Saw one other guy working three rods who landed a couple fish while we were there. Otherwise, saw lots of guys fishing with their head on a swivel to see if anyone else was having more success than they were.

If you were near me around 3 PM, I was the guy trying to rig up a rod when my daughter caught the fish. I didn't yet have waders on so you might have seen me ditching my shoes and socks to help land, and then release the fish. Thankfully it was warm while the sun was out.

IMG_20201210_150959.jpg

I think I saw you, your daughter and the guy with three rods. I walked past you to just a bit north of where y’all were. There was a short window of about 20 min around 5pm that fish were chasing small baits tight to shore. Two guys next to me hooked up and I got one as well on my teaser, about 24”. Then they were gone. I lingered till 6pm but it was uneventful. Felt like a beginning of an end, my season has been decent so far though

1 hour ago, RussB said:

IMG_20201210_150959.jpg

Great job helping land the fish for your daughter, hope my daughter takes an interest some day.