Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goldy

Help with Storing Fly Tying stuff

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

So I'm new to tying teasers / tails for saltwater only and i have made a complete mess of the stuff I acquired.

 

I put the bucktails in a ziplock and throw them on the bench, but boy i'm making a mess of this.  What's the best way to organize all this stuff, especially the Krystal Flash.

 

 

IMG_7906.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And get a bunch of those cheap tupperware type containers in various sizes. 

Each item goes in a ziplock,

ziplocks of the same stuff, in different colors, go in the same plastic container

Plastic containers go in the drawers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

Or do like I did and score one for $20 at a garage sale 

 

 

20190330_174612.jpg

Sudsy. Youre nuts.  I dont have all that room in my garage. Im not right like you.  Project for the winter i guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What did you do with the original packages? Put them back in them.Bucktails,personnally I have waaaaay to many and they will get a set in the hairs when stored in the original bags.Get a large container[like the slim ones for storage people use under a bed]  that will take all your tails and lay them flat in the container and add a bunch whole cloves to ward off the bugs.The same with other materials keep the sleeves and file them in smaller containers.Also,look at your package of UV pearl crystal flash.Now take you scissors and cut a bottom corner of the sleeve.Pick out some of the flash and leave the rest in the sleeve.When you are finished with that flash just open the package and pull the remaining out,line it all back, and reinsert all the flash back in the sleeve.Done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, theshadow said:

What did you do with the original packages? Put them back in them.Bucktails,personnally I have waaaaay to many and they will get a set in the hairs when stored in the original bags.Get a large container[like the slim ones for storage people use under a bed]  that will take all your tails and lay them flat in the container and add a bunch whole cloves to ward off the bugs.The same with other materials keep the sleeves and file them in smaller containers.Also,look at your package of UV pearl crystal flash.Now take you scissors and cut a bottom corner of the sleeve.Pick out some of the flash and leave the rest in the sleeve.When you are finished with that flash just open the package and pull the remaining out,line it all back, and reinsert all the flash back in the sleeve.Done.

Wow i really screwed this up.  Winter project.  @Sudsy is coming over to design the perfect solution bc he feels bad for me.  J/k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Goldy said:

Sudsy. Youre nuts.  I dont have all that room in my garage. Im not right like you.  Project for the winter i guess

You get a nice enough one and you can put it in the living room

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stacked Tupperware for large things like saddles and Deertails, but I also like a peg board to hang things on—that’s an easy one because tying materials are usually hung that way in the shop and are ready to go. Also, a tight spring wrapped around something or just tacked onto your desk will easily hold flash by the zip tie and let the flash fall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Goldy said:

So I'm new to tying teasers / tails for saltwater only and i have made a complete mess of the stuff I acquired.

 

I put the bucktails in a ziplock and throw them on the bench, but boy i'm making a mess of this.  What's the best way to organize all this stuff, especially the Krystal Flash.

 

 

IMG_7906.JPG

leave the stuff in the bag it comes in , if your tight for space there is Fishpond has fly tying bag for travel , it holds everything neatly in one bag , if your not tight for space get a file cabinet 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Goldy said:

So I'm new to tying teasers / tails for saltwater only and i have made a complete mess of the stuff I acquired.

 

I put the bucktails in a ziplock and throw them on the bench, but boy i'm making a mess of this.  What's the best way to organize all this stuff, especially the Krystal Flash.

 

 

IMG_7906.JPG

This is what my stuff looks like too haha. I organize it every so often. I want to pick up a roll top desk like Sudsy has. They are cheap enough to find but I think I would have the same mess going on....but that’s just me :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are married, eventually your wife will suggest a storage location.  However, the suggested orifice will most likely prove too small. 

A second hand desk with tupperware  containers works better.  Also, if you have a dog, secure your bucktail in an out of reach place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.